General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ok over the swim panic, now on to bike panic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-08-17 5:25 PM

Veteran
Toronto
Subject: ok over the swim panic, now on to bike panic
ugh, went out on sunday with seriously good cyclists and they really pushed me physically and mentally. i'm used to riding with my husband at my own pace, not in a group and i was caught braking on hills and around corners. i really want to get faster but my hand reaches for the brake before i hardly even know it's happening.

i can tell anyone havin problems in the swim that it does get better - i've mastered that. how about the bike - any tales of getting over absolute mind numbing fear on hills??

2007-08-17 5:46 PM
in reply to: #930100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: ok over the swim panic, now on to bike panic
I need help with this, too. I have no control over my hands, they brake when I hit a certain speed. So if you find out anything, can you let me know???
Thanks,
Nancy
2007-08-17 6:38 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Honestly, you just have to get used to the sensation of going fast. When I did the MS150 last year, I had my bike going 47mph down a hill. It was pretty scary, but exhilarating too.

When you are going down hills, its normal to be a little scared at first. Just try to relax, and dont go faster than you are comfortable with. The more times you do it, the faster you will become.
2007-08-17 8:05 PM

Elite

One thing that helped me (other than just doing it and gradually getting faster) was learning a little about bike mechanics and maintenance. Understanding how to inspect my bike pre-ride gave me a lot better level of confidence that it wasn't going to go flying apart when I hit 30mph. Your LBS or outdoor store might have a class you can take to get the basics.

2007-08-18 9:24 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Just strap one of these to your bike... no problem with fear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ym4DZivjgw

2007-08-18 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
just keep riding with the group, It helped my cycling a great deal.

2007-08-18 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

It comes with time, just keep riding. Becoming more familiar with your bike mechanically is a  really good idea too.

2007-08-18 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX (Valley Ranch area)
I agree with the above feedback ... ride with groups, have confidence in your equipment and practice.

Another tip: try to relax
  • .. overgripping your handlebars, tightening your shoulders, wincing or gnashing your teeth will only make matters worse.

• Side note - the fastest I have ever been on a bike is 56 MPH. I was on a tandem, feathering the brakes on a steep downhill. My wife was on the back yelling, "whooohooo." I was scared to death.
    2007-08-18 12:47 PM

User image

Master
    Trust your bike. Take it out and practice riding corners and hills. Push the limits and see how your bike handles in different situations. Relax! Your bike knows what to do in the corners and on the hills. Practice riding a straight line, riding a straight line and reaching for your water bottle etc.,

Are you more uncomfortable riding on the hills and corners in a paceline than alone? If so then try riding towards the back of the line behind experienced cyclist. Watch and see what they do in the corners and on the hills. Stay away from the inexperienced cyclist in the group if you can. You want to ride behind someone who is predictable and steady. Or find an experienced cyclist to work with you on the corners and hills.

It is also okay (well it is with our bike club) to drop back out of the paceline and catch back up (if you can) after the corners and hills.

It does get easier with time. Each time you go out push yourself a little bit more. We have also observed most women do not ride as aggressively when their husbands are around. This may not be the case for you or anyone else. Just something we have seen in our group. When you are out there alone with the group you pretty much have to suck it up and push yourself or get dropped.

It will get easier with practice. Over the years I have worked really hard to increase my comfort level with fast cornering and descending. Riding fast is a RUSH!
    2007-08-18 1:55 PM

Veteran
    Toronto
    thanks everyone, good advice and I'm glad you are all ok with me taking time to get comfortable. I found it interesting that someone noted that women were less aggressive with the husband's around...hmmm. Must think on that.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ok over the swim panic, now on to bike panic Rss Feed