General Discussion Race Reports! » Young Life (Formerly Castaway Club) Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Young Life (Formerly Castaway Club) Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
United States
Young Life
ColdF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 38m 25s
Overall Rank = 38/100
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 13/20
Pre-race routine:

Just walked around and got my transition area set up. I slept in an 1/2 hour later than I was hoping so I didn't get there as quite as early as I had hoped. Still was plenty of room in the transition area.
Swim
  • 31m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very pleased with this swim. Everything felt good considering the conditions we had. My navigation was about perfect and I didn't managed to take any mouthfuls of water.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster, but I think I swam about as good as I could.
Transition 1
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

I didn't get my wetsuit off as quick as was hoping but I didn't think that it took me as long as the clock says. Part of the time I might have just been getting use to standing up again after the swim.

Just be quicker!!
Bike
  • 1h 18m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.88 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping this would have been quicker but I can't complain for my first olympic distance race. Would love to get my avg mph over 20 next week in Baxter.

GO FASTER!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

When I came into T2 I carried my bike over the curb and my back brake was moved enough that it was preventing my back wheel from moving. Managed to drag it to my spot though. I just hope it wasn't like that during the race. Getting the bike shoes off running shoes on went good though.

Not take as much time :)
Run
  • 45m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very happy with this run. I have been running this pace during my sprint races and now I managed to keep it during a 10K run. Calves were tight coming off the bike and once that went away the hamstrings felt very tired. Good run though, can't complain.

GO FASTER!!
Post race
Warm down:

Changed and warmed up. Managed to chat with a few fellow racers and then enjoyed lunch that was provided by the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of tough training in the last few weeks. With work being crazy and working on getting ready for college again, I slacked on some workouts.

Event comments:

This was definitely a fun race. The cold weather made for a tough start but I really enjoyed the course. The bike course went through the area of WeFest which is a HUGE country musical festival held in early August. The race staff was awesome, the lunch held afterwards was delicious, and I will definitely be signing up for this one again in future years.

Last updated: 2007-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:10 | 1640 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 47/100
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: The course was an counter-clockwise set up. We swam out with a cross wind before heading into the wind before coming back to the shore with it at our back.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:42
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:58 | 24.85 miles | 18.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/20
Overall: 50/100
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The course had about a billion turns. Okay I might be exaggerating but it seemed everytime you got in a rhythm you had to make a turn and slow down. The road got wet as the bike went on as it had started sprinkling. Road surface was great in some places, but really bumpy in others.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:25 | 06.21 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/20
Overall: 37/100
Performance: Good
Course: Was an out and back course that was fairly flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-08-18 6:18 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: Young Life (Formerly Castaway Club) Triathlon

2007-08-18 7:40 PM
in reply to: #930649

User image

Veteran
Kalispell MT
Subject: RE: Young Life (Formerly Castaway Club) Triathlon
Hey, good job. Way to put on a good performance despite the many distractions you have had in recent weeks.
2007-08-19 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Twin Cities, MN
Nice job! Awesome run - to be able to hold that pace for a 10k in a long course race is admirable! See you at Lakes Country!
2007-08-19 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
Your run is a product of your training. My run was pretty close to the same pace that I had a week earlier in Nevis once one factors in the actual course distance. (6.4 miles BTW). Your pace may have actually been faster than posted.

I am glad you thought the swim was wonderful. You are about the only turd I know that did.

Excellent race! Keep up the training and keep me posted on how things are going this winter.
2007-08-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #931229

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere in your dreams
Nathan, GREAT job! I also learned that turns on a course are not the most fun! I am sooo impressed with how fast you are getting. Way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Young Life (Formerly Castaway Club) Triathlon Rss Feed