Multisport Canada
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 51m 52s
Overall Rank = 244/344
Age Group = Women 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/8
Pre-race routine:

Had 1/2 muffin and coffee during drive to ferry terminal. Arrived 7:15 at the ferry terminal. Had to pay $20 for parking! Race was supposed to start at 9am, and my wave supposed to start at 9:45am. Long lineup to get ticket for the ferry. Then the next ferry was full. Originally targeted the 7:30 ferry, ended up boarding the ferry at 8:20, captain opened an extra run when he saw the lineup was too long. Many people were stressed. Knowing the organizers, I know they'd adjust the starting times so I took the whole thing in stride.

When I got to the island, found out that the swim was cancelled because water was too cold. Water dropped from 72F yesterday to 56F today because of strong winds overnight. Race changed to a Du - 5k/30k/5k. For logistical reasons, all waves were pushed back and my "wave" ended up starting at 10:25!

Very long lineups overall - to get ticket for ferry, to get on ferry, registration and portalets...
Run
  • 25m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m  min/km
Comments:

Good pace, passed quite a few people.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Bike
  • 58m 55s
  • 30 kms
  • 30.55 km/hr
Comments:

Made wrong turn at the end of first loop and got stopped by official. Probably lost a minute or 2. I pushed harder and on the second loop, passed many of the people that I had previously passed on the first loop. But my calves started cramping on the last loop. Overall, still quite happy as I averaged >30kph, a personal best.
What would you do differently?:

Pay more attention to signs.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

My right calf cramped very badly when I got off the bike. So had to stretch for quite a few seconds at the transition.
Run
  • 25m 24s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 05s  min/km
Comments:

Because of the cramps on my calves, I started out very conservatively. Surprisingly, the cramps disappeared on the run and I was only 24sec slower than my first run leg.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked 10min to ferry terminal, stretched while waiting for ferry.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wrong turn. Cramps on calves.

Event comments:

Because of the cold water temperature, the swim was cancelled. Water dropped from 72F yesterday to 56F today because of strong winds overnight. That's too bad as I was hoping to redeem myself after last week's DNF on the swim.

Ran and biked well, I'm quite happy. Bike is a PB, even though I lost a minute or 2 when I took the wrong turn. 3rd in AG, best finish this season. No doubt it's because swim, my weakest leg, is cancelled, but I'll take it.

Very nice technical shirt. Venue is interesting, but has many logistical challenges. This is the first time organizers try to hold a tri on the Toronto Island, which is generally very busy on the weekend. Seriously doubt they will come back to this venue next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:01 | 05 kms | 05m  min/km
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 265/344
Performance: Good
Course: T-Shaped course along a combination of paved paths, grass paths and paved roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:58:55 | 30 kms | 30.55 km/hr
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 251/344
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops of 10km on Toronto Island. Flat, mostly on narrow road with two-way bike traffic and two way run traffic on some parts. 2 turnarounds on each loop where there is a NO PASSING RULE and designated a SLOW ZONE.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:24 | 05 kms | 05m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 225/344
Performance: Average
Course: Same as first run leg.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-08-18 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: Toronto Island Triathlon

2007-08-19 12:26 PM
in reply to: #930694

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon

Well done on your 3rd place. It was a good idea to hold the race at the island, but the logistics make it a stressful day for some. Like you, I have raced with the HSBC series  and know that they work hard to ensure everyone gets to race and that safety is the utmost concern to them.

Not sure they will be back there next year.

Good luck in the rest of your races this year.

2007-08-20 5:17 AM
in reply to: #930694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Orangeville, Ontario
Subject: RE: Toronto Island Triathlon
Great race!

3rd place, must feel great, congrats!

I'm injured again! Was going to race at Gueph or Wassaga but it's not looking good. Are you going to do the NOTL du?

Congrats again, all the hard work seems to be paying off

Geoff
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toronto Island Triathlon Rss Feed