multisport
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 53s
Overall Rank = 84/279
Age Group = First-Timers
Age Group Rank = 5/68
Pre-race routine:

Laid out all gear the night before and double checked it in the morning. Woke up around 5:45, stumbled to breakfast. Had protein powered mixed with powerade, 3/4 packet of oatmeal, and 1 holiday inn express cinnamon bun (couldn't resist). Had accelerade gel 1 hr before event start.
Event warmup:

Did a little swimming/body surfing in the ocean.
Swim
  • 03m 7s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

My first wave start, so I took it easy letting people go by me. Turns out that was a mistake because then people were slow, pushing and kicking. I went to the very far outside to stay away from the traffic. I probably did an extra 50 yards at least but at least I was swimming the course.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get to the beginning of the wave and still stay either on the very inside or the outside. I'm not comfortable enough to start pushing around in the water while swimming.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Slow transition, but I'm glad I put my bike right next to the exit making it much easier. I took my time getting everything on, shirt, helmet, sunglasses (which helped keep water out of my eyes on the bike), and shoes.

Try biking without socks making for a faster transition. Also put glasses on during the bike.
Bike
  • 30m 19s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I did a pretty good job on the bike. It took probably 1/4 of the ride before I got into a good pace. There were probably 5 or 6 riders trying to pull away from each other, but I was able to stay with them without drafting! There were a few people drafting almost the entire way but I tried staying on my own outside. In the last 2 - 3 miles, I pulled away from the pack of people and never got passed from there on... Except for this one guy on a sweet tri bike who seemed like he was going 45 mph!

Get a new bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Decent transition considering that coming into it my back tire locked up and I almost wiped out. Shoes on and off really quick.

Practice riding with feet ontop of shoes to make transition even quicker. Take helmet off while running to rack.
Run
  • 25m 27s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Freaking cramped up in both calves at the beginning of the run again! I need to practice my bike/run transitions. After the first 1/2 mile they got loosened up. Of course then I was getting cramps in my sides, luckly I ran through those and by the 2 mile mark I was feeling pretty good. I definitly think that the last mile I picked up the pace and pushed it until the finish.

Practice bike/run transitions, hydrate more on the bike as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes to get my heart rate back down. Tried stretching out, but my calves were like two knots.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not being prepared for the wave swim, starting quick. Transitions. Cramping at the beginning of the run.

Event comments:

Overall, I was happy with my performance for my 2nd tri. Especially since I didn't get much sleep the week before and didn't train as hard as I did for the first one. I definitly am looking forward to next season to compete in more Tris!

Last updated: 2004-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:07 | 200 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 29/68
Overall: 128/279
Performance: Average
swim shortened due to wave size and weather
Suit: Tri bottoms
Course: Not very organized course, the course was still in water that you could wade in so people were stopping and standing up. Fairly choppy.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:30:19 | 10 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/68
Overall: 83/279
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Varying pavement, and riding into a headwind for most of the ride.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:27 | 03 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/68
Overall: 97/279
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back flat, wet course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2004-10-15 4:42 PM

Birmingham, AL
Subject: Crab Trap Sprint

2004-10-15 9:20 PM
in reply to: #72920

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: RE: Crab Trap Sprint
Good job!  Hate that we missed you at the race.  Myself and a couple other BT'ers were there with ya in the rain.  By the way, that was probably Karl (Motivated) that zipped past you on the sweet tri bike.  He has got a beauty and it works well for him!
2004-11-14 12:07 PM
in reply to: #73046

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Crab Trap Sprint
Nice finish and sorry we missed you there! Keep it up!

Tony
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Crab Trap Sprint Rss Feed