General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Total Time = 2h 47m 21s
Overall Rank = 58/90
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 11/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30, out of the house by 5 for the drive to the race. I was glad to have my log from last year, which I read before this year. Last year I got up at 4, but that actually turned out to be too early. So I got an extra half hour to sleep in before the drive.

Up, coffee, whole wheat bagel, loaded the car and out the door.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike for five minutes in order to make sure everything was all good to go. Set up a nice TA, got on my wetsuit, got in the water for ten minutes worth of swimming.
Swim
  • 32m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

A fine swim. The water was very warm -- 76.7 degrees at the start according to HFP, and thus just barely wetsuit legal. I was a bit concerned at the start that I was going to overheat in my fullsleeve wetsuit, but it was fine. I didn't feel too warm at all.

Stayed calm at the beginning, even though I caught a kick in the eye from a guy swimming THE WRONG WAY at the second left turn. He wasn't just swimming the wrong way, he was 180 degrees wrong: swimming one way in the midst of swimmers going the exact opposite direction. How far off course do you have to get to do that? Whatever; I caught the kick in the eye and had to stop to reseat my goggles.

Much like a race of mine last year, the first lap of this race, it seemed like I was grabbing someone's ass on every stroke. I hope to god they were different asses, otherwise someone's got a really sore ass out there. I swear, it was like every stroke, I'd put my hand down and slap someone's ass! I thought for a while that it was going to be like this all through the race. I was worried to reach into my bento box for fear that someone's ass would be in there.

Got out of the water 29th out of 90 overall -- not bad, not bad.
What would you do differently?:

See below.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

no socks on bike, but still haven't practiced the shoes-on-bike trick

do the shoes-on-bike trick
Bike
  • 1h 13m 44s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

What in the HECK happened here? I got passed SIX TIMES on the bike by my age group. In fact, I got my ass handed to me on this leg of the race. I went from 6th out of 12 to DEAD LAST in my AG, and from 29 of 90 to 56 of 90. What in the hell? I thought I was doing well on this bike, and I thought in fact that my bike was my favorite part of the sport. Damn, I just have no idea what happened. Frankly, I was just trying to make an average of 20mph, and I either did that or got close to it, depending upon how you do the math. And I had done a lot of long group rides inthe month before this race, so I was thinking I was up to it.

Bike faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Good T. Remembered to hold race belt and visor in my hand as I ran out of T. Ran without a shirt for the first time in a race; it was an okay choice for the day.
Run
  • 57m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This was okay; I wasn't really killing myself on the run, in retrospect. I walked through the water stations, but ran pretty hard on the second loop. Talked to some people, had fun.

run faster
Post race
Warm down:

sat in the massage tent and drank water to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weeeeeeellll, that's the $60,000 question, isn't it?

I don't know. I didn't know after the race that I had ended up so BOP. I thought that I had my usual race, or my usual race this year -- good swim, solid bike, and not-so-hot run. But instead I had a great swim, a dismal bike, and a dismal run.

What the heck happened here, and should I be concerned? My goals are to be MOP -- I think I want to keep myself doing this sport, and the best way I can keep myself interested is to feel competitive, at least vaguely MOP.

The thing is, this year was the first year doing Oly's, and I figured that this, my fourth Oly after all and third this year, would be a race I could actually compete in. I figured I had to have gotten over the challenge of racing the oly distance by now, and this race I could actually race.

Instead, once again, I ended up feeling left behind by the end of the race. It's a real psychological challenge of the oly distance -- once you're done, everyone else is long gone, and it feels like a ghost town.

Event comments:

I still like HFP. There were a few people wandering around asking if there were any post-race activities, but that's about it for these wheelie-fun series races -- they're kinda stripped down. The price is right, though.

No race photography? I didn't see anyone on the course, and can't find a link . . .

I still need to decided what, if any, race I'm going to do in October. Is this it for my season?

Last updated: 2007-08-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 29/90
Performance: Good
Suit: promotion fullsleeve
Course: Two laps of a long skinny rectangle, following the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:13:44 | 24.85 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 56/90
Performance: Bad
course must have been off somehow -- the race results have me at an average of 19.3, but the autocalc here has 20.221, and my math comes up with 20.3. I have no idea what's going on here, and I already cleared the bike computer, so who knows.
Wind: Some
Course: two loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:48 | 06.21 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 73/90
Performance: Average
Course: two laps on the running trail. I liked the shady bits.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-09-01 5:23 PM

User image

Master
La Crosse
Subject: Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2007-09-03 9:04 AM
in reply to: #949811

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Subject: RE: Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance
You still had some solid splits there Stupid. Don't get down too much. I think everyone has good and bad days and every race is different with different conditions. I feel the same as you though, had a pretty bad/uneventful race. Felt like I should be doing better. I'm putting in all the work but not improving much. I'll keep trying though because I love this sport so much! As far as the bike, I think it was advertised as 23.7 miles. Try the math on that one and see if it comes out.
2007-09-05 8:25 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Well, I think you did fine - just other people were faster than you.  Unfortunately, this is something that happens quite often.  Who knows why on this particular race though.

You met your bike speed goal though, how would that stack up in your other races?  Maybe the field is just deeper in this race?

2007-09-05 9:18 PM
in reply to: #950579

User image

Master
La Crosse
keenanr - 2007-09-03 10:04 AM

As far as the bike, I think it was advertised as 23.7 miles. Try the math on that one and see if it comes out.

Yup, that math works.

Yeah, I know I'm a bit hard on myself on this one. It just seems like I oughta be faster than this. And I'm so confused; I never would have thought that the swim would be my best event in even one race, let alone two back to back. I guess I just need to get used to the idea . . . "I'm a swimmer." Nope, it still doesn't sound right.
2007-09-06 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

One of the things to think about.  This is the 5th race in the series, most of these guys running this race have run at least 3 of the other races.  I found that the Wheelie fun series is a highly competitive series.  I don't know why that is, but it bears out.

If you drop a 20 MPH ride in many tris that will get you a solid MOP finish, but for this series it is a BOMOP finish at best.

It was a solid race, 2:47 is a very good time from my perspective.  As someone else told me, you can't control who you are racing.  So if you are looking for a motivation of racing for MOP, then skipping HFP races in this series makes a huge amount of sense. 

There are some pretty good ok race groups in the area.  HFP is really among my favorites, Fat Rabbit does a ok job, and Ultra-Fit does a pretty decent job (well I have heard mixed reviews) Tuxedo brothers (out of Indy) also has several series races they do, and those tend to have some dang speedy people as well.  I have run races with each of those groups, and hands down HFP is the BEST.  Every other group is just not as good.  They set up, but the race just is not as smooth. 

I ran my first Fat Rabbit race this year, they told us they were closing transition at 6:30 SHARP, only to leave it open until 5 minutes before the race because THEY didn't have enough voluteers to get everyone processed prior that point.  So there were all sorts of people standing in line, waiting to get processed through so they could set up transistion and didn't get a warm up.

Tuxedo brothers - the only race I ran with them last year had basically no one at the finish line.  It was like you finished and took off.  There was no announcer saying here is.... John Smith from LittleTown Ohio.  I know they do that at HFP.

Ultra-Fit - again I have only run 1 race with them.  It was pretty decent.  However I have heard and read about the Wendy's race (check the race reports here.)  Also check to see if any one did Outer Limits (Aug 12) I think you can tell what they have to say.

I guess what I am saying, is you did fine.  You can't measure your success or failure based on what everyone else did.  You have to race yourself, did YOU break your goals?  Did you train to beat yourself?  If you did that, what everyone else did or didn't do is pointless.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed