Jack & Adams
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 11m 17s
Overall Rank = 13/694
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/99
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:00 and ate a bagel with peanut butter and a bowl of oatmeal. Drank coffee, water and some pedialyte. Made the hour long trek to the race site. Got body marked and set up transition area, and chatted with some of the guys on the rack. Went for about a 15 min run and then came back and stretched. Got kicked out of transition promptly at 6:30 and made my way to the swim start. Listened to the race brief and then the national athem, and the race kicked off promptly at 7:00.
Event warmup:

Ran for 15 min and stretched. No swim warm up due to wave start. Made sure I got a good stretch.
Swim
  • 21m 56s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

They changed the swim from what it was originally supposed to be, they just pushed the turn around to the west a little. Overall this was a good swim course although for some reason it did seem l;ike it went on forever. The water seemed a little cool at first since I did not have a wetsuit, but after the first couple hundred meters it was actually quite nice. For most of the swim I felt like I was all alone. It was a pretty good swim I just tried to stay long and efficient to stay on my pace plan.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push it a little harder on the swim. My plan was to hold off a little on the swim to save energy for the bike and run. This was my first olympic distance race and I did not want to spend myself on the swim and then pay for it on the bike and run.
Transition 1
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

Like everyone else has said it was a pretty long run form the water to the bike racks. I was kind of lucky though due to my age group and had a rack that was only three away from the bike out. Overall this was a good transition it was nice to run on grass, but there were a few patches of mud in thetransition area, but that could not be helped due to some rain the night before.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 04m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The first lap I started out on the small ring and just spun until I hit the first turn point at the top off the hill on congress. When I started down I switched to the big ring and started to let it fly. I continued the rest of the first lap at a high cadence and not pushing too hard just trying to get the lay of the land for the next two laps. The first lap was nice, because being the third wave to start the course was nice and empty. At the start of the second lap the course was starting to get a little more crowded, however it never got too crowded. Started to push the second lap a little more but still not too hard, at the end of the second lap sucked down and e-gel. Made the turn for the third lap and really just let it out, by this time the course was pretty crowded and there was quite a bit of three and four wide. This was an awesome course I heard a lot of people say that they hope that CAPTEX will adopt this course next year. I really had a blast on this coure it had a good mix of hills and flats, and the section going north on congress with the downhill was sweet to just drop the hammer and fly.

I was pretty happy with my bike. I felt good for the most part, and finished the all the water in the aero bottle plus a gel, and 3/4 of my e-fuel.
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Coming into tranisition there was a fairly long run on asphalt, and there were some portions with pebbels that kinda hurt. Again the luck of the draw with my age group had me in a great rack position right near the bike finish.

Nothing
Run
  • 41m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a great run course too. This is where I need to do a little work, overall though I am happy with the run. Pace was good for both laps, and there were plenty of aid stations available for water and accelerade. The cold sponges down near the J&A turnaround were awesome. The squirt gun people were cool too.

Need to train more on the run
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and met a bunch of people. Ate some free pizza and drank a ton of water.

Event comments:

This is my third triathlon and they have all been the Jack and Adams sponsoed ones that are part of the Texas Tri Series. J&A's really hosts a great race and the atmosphere is outstanding. This was the innagural Austin Triathlon and it was a great race. The weather turned out to be perfect, and the race was well organized and on time. The courses for all three sports were well thought out and really fun. The were a ton of volunteers that were friendly and did a great job, as is the norm for a J&A's race. The live music on the course and at the finish line was great, as were all the sponsor tents. Overall this was an awesome race and I would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it next year, this will become a classic Austin race.

Last updated: 2007-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:56 | 1500 meters | 01m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/99
Overall: 11/694
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Ultra
Course: 1500 M Rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:10
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:35 | 24.85 miles | 23.09 mile/hr
Overall: 26/694
Wind: Little
Course: 3 Laps on Congress and Ceaser Chavez
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:25 | 06.21 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 36/694
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-04 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2007-09-04 9:31 AM
in reply to: #951274

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
Well done race 1st in a tough AG!!! Your swim time was just awesome, agree it felt like the swim just kept going and going. Solid in all 3 areas, again congrats
2007-09-04 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Wow! Great race for you! First in your AG that's awesome!
2007-09-04 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Awesome race, man! Congrats on winning the AG! That's not easy to do. The Oly tris here are very competitive.

I'd agree with you on the course, I loved both the bike and run courses and will be looking forward to doing this race again next year.
2007-09-04 5:43 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job. saw you all alone on the run course. like hearing adam call out harker heights since i spent 7 yrs there. good luck for the rest of the season. are you doing the longhorn race? let me know if you are interested in meeting up in a few weeks to ride the longhorn course. i am looking to ride it with jamie (jpb0009) on sunday sept 16th. congrats again on your race and 1st in the AG. we are in the same age group so i need to find you in future races and hang on your feet in the swim (at least for as long as i can).
2007-09-05 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Wow...you're speedy! Wish I were that fast...looks like you had a great race! Congrats!

2007-09-05 4:14 PM
in reply to: #952348

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Thanks everyone, it was a great race for sure and I am definetly happy with my performance. Now to concentrate on the big one coming up on Oct 7th. Hope to see y'all there!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed