General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KLM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-09-10 12:36 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Subject: KLM

Sound like KLM had more problems this weekend.  If they aren't the most inept race directors....

I didn't get the full report just a short story.  So if any body knows the particulars fill us in....Please.

2007-09-10 6:49 PM
in reply to: #958236

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: KLM
Not sure if I have the full story, but here are the issues that I know of:

They are still having problems with the times. They posted the total times this morning, but still have not released the times broken out by segment. They mentioned having an issue with the age groups after the race.

I did the short course and I heard some people missed the turnaround because instead of a sign, they had a brown cardboard box with spray paint on it which was not the easiest to read.

As for the long course, I talked to one guy who said that everybody except for 2 people ran about .4 miles too long. Not sure what the issue was to cause that.

There seemed to be a lack of people helping run the event, especially on the run course.
2007-09-10 9:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas
I raced Jackson County Tri and was not impressed with thoroughness. Compared to Johnson County Parks and Rec as organizers and directors, I think KLM is not quite as good. However I am no authority in passing judgement.
2007-09-10 9:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
I think KLM is still a fairly young company. I'm sure that most places take a bit to get everything right. If you think how Johnson County Parks and Rec has been around for many years, they've learned how to put on a good race. Not everyone can get the packets filled (with all the whiz bang you can muster), route defined and race set up and breakdown perfect.

As for the timing issues, blame the chip people, not the RD. Its their technology that we rely on.

Sure, there are many things that can be improved upon, one of which is more volunteer participation. I do know that they probably need to do a better job of volunteer orientation prior to the race.

If you think about it, without KLM, who is going to plan out our races? If someone can do it better, I know the RD personally and can put you in contact with him.

These are all good lessons learned.
2007-09-11 8:22 AM
in reply to: #959310

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
kcguy - 2007-09-10 9:58 PM

As for the timing issues, blame the chip people, not the RD. Its their technology that we rely on.

x2. However, does/will KLM continue to hire the same timing company that keeps fouling things up? I don't know. Maybe they had a contract for the season and will make changes next year.

I'm sure you all heard my gripes about Topeka where the finish line timing mat was broken for about 20 minutes, grrrrr. Yes I blame the timing company. But the RD held the awards ceremony and handed out awards (based on a huge amount of incomplete information) without a single mention or apology. He acted like it didn't even happen, which I think was really unprofessional. At least admit something went wrong, and vow to fix it for next time.

I talked to the RD personally about the lack of volunteers and signage at Mayhem (sounds similar to what happened this weekend), and he was very cordial, saying they really liked feedback like mine because they can make future races better. Hopefully they actually take some action on those suggestions in the future.

2007-09-11 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Does anyone know how long KLM and or this race director been doing these races?

There seem to be a lot of easily fixed mistakes that have happened during their races. I enjoyed their courses but have noticed a common trend of a serious lack of volunteers and now it seems timing issues. I agree timing issues are not their fault but if I'm the RD I'd be pretty pissed with the timing company.

I think if the folks running these races would look back at the problems of previous races they could fix a lot of these things quickly. The courses seem to be the biggest issue as I almost went the wrong way twice on the Mayhem run course due to no signs or volunteers at 2 turns. I also know they advertised Topkea Long course as a 7 mile run and informed us day of that it was more like 7.5. These are very easily corrected and unless this is their first year of running the race should have been corrected.

2007-09-11 2:52 PM
in reply to: #959287

User image

Expert
Kansas

In defense of KLM.... The JOCO Parks & Rec dept utilize the same courses year after year (example: SMP, Heritage) They don't have the same obstacles KLM faces (road issues) and the JOCO has the luxury of utilizing their staff as volunteers.... 

Timing issues.... I'm sure if we look @ the history of SMP or Heritage we would see they had growing pains..... 

I don't work for KLM.... But the RD did give me $100 bucks worth of new tires to say this

atasic - 2007-09-10 9:43 PM I raced Jackson County Tri and was not impressed with thoroughness. Compared to Johnson County Parks and Rec as organizers and directors, I think KLM is not quite as good. However I am no authority in passing judgement.

2007-09-11 7:30 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks

Even if it is the chip company's fault with the timing issue somebody had to hire them.  KLM has had the same problems this year that they had last year. 

And the signage on the bike and run courses is seriously lacking.  I have been fortunate to not have taken a wrong turn.  But if I had and it was because of lack of sings you can guarantee that I would be upset. 

You can't tell me that they cannot get some decent signs made.  We are all paying an entry fee.  Aren't we?

Are these the same people that put on the Tour of Georgia, Tour of Missouri and several other high profile American races?  If they can handle events of that magnitude surely they can manage an age-group triathlon! It will be interesting to see how the Cyclocross National Championship goes.  I'll bet that there aren't any timing or signage problems there!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » KLM Rss Feed