Piranha Sports
80+F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 10s
Overall Rank = 88/300
Age Group = Female 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4am...Wheat English muffin, decaf coffee, banana with natural peanut butter
Event warmup:

Hotel was 20 min from the race site...Arrived at site at 5:30am...got my bike set up and headed into transition when there was enough light. Warm-up consisted of standing in a very long porta potty line TWICE! ;o)
Swim
  • 49m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I learned to swim freestyle 3 yrs ago at the age of 47. I am gradually improving. I am working this winter with the coach of the local Masters Swim Team. I am competing at IMLP in July 2008 and I hope to have a mid pack performance in the swim there.
See note above regarding swim time and run to transition
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really...I was basically ok with my swim (for now)...
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

This transition was different in that I was wearing running shoes coming from the water (due to .4 mile run to transition)..I was also carrying my wetsuit and wearing my cap with goggles up on my head. It kind of through off my usual T-1 routine. But change is good and it kept me focused.

I pulled on one of my socks upside down (heel part on top of my foot) Oye!
Had to remove it and put it on again... I need to be MORE focused!
Bike
  • 2h 51m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this course. I live in the mountains of northeast PA so it was fun to do a basically flat course. The only climb was up and over a huge suspension bridge (race info said climb is one mile). Of course, that gave us a SWEEEET descent too... And we got to do the bridge twice!

Not too much...I was quite pleased with my ride. I have only been cycling for 3 yrs and I am ok with where I am so far (hope to have decent improvement through 2008) I also love my bike... I ride a 2006 QR Caliente...my 50th birthday present from my DH!
Transition 2
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

I lose time in T-2 because I have to wear the ultra marathon running socks with the toes and it is difficult to get them on damp feet. BUT I run much better with them so I make up the time. I wore my favorite running shoes...
Brooks ST Racers... Love 'em!

I was ok with this transition....
Run
  • 1h 51m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't think I have ever seen this many people bonking on the run before. I was able to keep a steady run pace and I walked through each water station to get enough down. I was able to really pick up my pace on the final two paved miles.

I had to adapt to the weather conditions. I was prepared to run a 8m/m pace in this race. Running is my strength. My recent stand alone half marathon time was 1:35.
But yesterday I was really listening to my body and I knew that pushing it too hard would lead to trouble. I was passing women in my AG but I had no idea if there were more up ahead. I tried to just keep it steady and then turn it on for the last 2 miles...
Post race
Warm down:

I finished feeling really good...Got a drink and found some friends to hang out with until another pal finished... Then I grabbed some food and loaded up my gear. By then the awards ceremony was starting...Trophies are cool...Light Houses... Piranha Sports trademark...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Intense heat on the run made me re-evaluate my run time goal...

Event comments:

This was a 2 minute Half IM PR for me... Last September I finished Lake Anna in 5:39. This was my last tri for this season and I am happy to finish it on a good note.

Last updated: 2007-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:16 | 2112 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 201/300
Performance: Average
I was out of the water in 43 min. We had to run .4 mile along rte 71 to transition so we had the option of leaving shoes by the swim start. I peeled off my wetsuit and tied on some old running shoes. The timing mat was at T-1 so the run time was added to our swim times
Suit: Blue Seventy long john...love it!
Course: Rectangle...counterclockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:59
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:23 | 56 miles | 19.61 mile/hr
Overall: 153/300
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: lollipop loop in the first 6 or so miles then an out and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:46
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:51:23 | 13.1 miles | 08m 30s  min/mile
Overall: 46/300
Course: 2 miles on paved road and then run down a pretty decent hill to the dirt and rock trail along the canal for 5 miles out and 5 miles back...NO shade and not a cloud in the sky...The heat was intense and many athletes were walking...At mile 11 we got to run back UP that decent hill and then 2 miles of paved to finishline
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-10 2:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon

2007-09-10 3:16 PM
in reply to: #958598

User image

Wilmington, Delaware
Subject: RE: Delaware Diamondman Triathlon
Congrats on such a strong finish!  Your run time is awesome considering the conditions. 
2007-09-10 4:26 PM
in reply to: #958648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Esquiredo - 2007-09-10 4:16 PM

Congrats on such a strong finish!  Your run time is awesome considering the conditions. 

Thanks Esquire!

I was keeping a lookout for you (just from your picture)...I thought I saw you at one point but I never did get the chance to say hello...

What did you think of the race?
2007-09-10 7:37 PM
in reply to: #958818

User image

Wilmington, Delaware

What did you think of the race?

In hindsight, I think it was a good experience.  I'd like to do it again - in better shape.  It's a little lonely in the back.  One of these days, I hope to work towards being an MOP'er. 

2007-09-10 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Awesome job, I'm especially impressed with your run. You rock!

That bridge is pretty cool, isn't it? Great view at the top. Only problem I had with is was the concrete/steel joints on the bridge surface. I noticed on race morning my tires have a few small breaches in them that could give me a pinch flat if the tire takes a hard impact, like hitting a pot hole. So flying down that bridge and hitting those joints was nerve wracking for me, I kept waiting to get a flat. Thankfully, it didn't happen.

There certainly were a lot of people bonking on that run (me included).

2007-09-11 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Newark, Delaware

Congratulations on a great race!  I'm so impressed by how you kept your cool (no pun intended) on the run!  It seems like you've really got the mental aspect down.

The bike is cool - some of the houses we rode by were beautiful!  It is a nice course with little traffic, which I always appreciate.

2007-09-16 11:23 AM

User image

Champion
MA

You kicked butt out there...wow!!

Plus 1st in your AG rocks!

You truly are a runner, your bike split is amazing and your swim is good too.

Being a strong runner/biker will really help you at IMLP next year. Swim gains make less of a difference 10" per hundred is 7 minutes...but sometimes a small change in technique can lead to a big improvement.

Congrats!

2007-09-16 6:05 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Nice race, Scout.  You really rocked the house wth it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Delaware Diamondman Triathlon Rss Feed