General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 45m
Overall Rank = 11,600/11,629
Age Group = 50-14
Age Group Rank = 302/306
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5 a.m. I never have stomach probs, but did a little so didn't drink any coffee, just some tea. Met some friends, parked pretty far away, and went to stand in the ridiculously long lines for the porta-potties.
Run
  • 3h 45m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 17m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

This was an awful race for me. I was corralled at the back. I started to jog the first mile or so and saw that people were walking much faster than I was running. Gosh, I took the Chi Running clinic, practiced, and wasn't getting anywhere. The first 5k was alright as I was following these people in their 60's who were speed walkers, pacing at 14 minute miles. It was hard keeping up with them and had to run to catch up, but lasted with them until about 4 miles. After that, it went continuously down hill. The balls of my feet started to burn and every step felt like needles going into my feet. I have a very short stride so hundreds of people passed me. I was humiliated. It was all I could do to finish. My feet hurt so badly after the race, I begged a policeman to take mt to my car which was up the hill. He wouldn't (Philly's finest), so I called a friend who did the race in 1:21 and they came to get me to take me to the bar they were at. I was feeling really low and spent the rest of the day horizonatally in bed. I could hardly get up to go to the bathroom. How is it that these people who were taking their time walking, blew past me? I stopped running due to my burning feet. How can I learn to walk faster? I have hired running trainers, took the Chi Running clinic, was in a running group, I've done it all. Nothing. Granted, I weigh alot, but so did most of the people passing me by literally, a mile. I know, I know, I finished, but this isn't what I had planned, [particularly if I get into IMFL 08. I would certainly be a DNFer.
What would you do differently?:

Dunno.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Burning Feet

Event comments:

I didn't see a medical tent at all at the finish and couldn't walk long enough to find one. I guess I need to re-think this running thing. I will never be able to run. My average run time is 15 minute miles. People were walking 13 and 14 minute miles. All that pounding on a soon to be 54 year old frame to not get anywhere is pointless.
Sorry for the downer, but I've been at this for 4 years and haven't gotten anywhere, but poorer.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Running
03:45:00 | 13.1 miles | 17m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 302/306
Overall: 11600/11,629
Performance: Bad
Course: This was a flat course in and around Philadelphia and Fairmount Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-09-17 2:31 PM

Veteran
Subject: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run

2007-09-18 5:04 AM
in reply to: #967994

User image

Williamstown, NJ
Subject: RE: Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run
My advice would be to take it slow. IMFL08 is a very lofty goal. You need to find a comfortable weekly mileage where you don't hurt too bad, and slowly increase it. Use the 10% rule. Don't increase your weekly mileage by more than 10%, and don't increase your long runs by more than 10% each run. Another thing is make sure you have the best shoes you can buy that match your feet (any good running specialty store could help you with this).

-joe i.
2007-09-18 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Hi Rhonda,

First of all, congrats on finishing.  You have done what most people think they could never even do, so they don't even try.  That, in and of itself, is an accomplishment.  And nobody can ever take that away from you.  Finishing.  Not DNS and not DNF.  And from the looks of it, not DFL either! 

Now, about the other stuff.  Look inside.  Why do you run?  Why do you exercise?  Is it to compete or is it to maintain a healthy lifesyle?  If it is to compete, then you need to do more looking inside to find out what you need to do (time, effort, etc) to make yourself more competitive.  If it is to maintain a healthy lifestyle, I would say you are already doing what you need to do, and now you need to find a way to make it fun. 

Long and short of it, if you aren't having fun running.  Stop.  Find something that you enjoy doing, that is healthy, and do it.  If you like doing the rest of the stuff, there are plenty of races, events, etc that you can do for swimming and cycling. 

But again, you finished.  Way to go lady. 

2007-09-19 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Rhonda

First off pick your head up and hold it high. You persevered and fought your way thru a tough day. You have inspired so many more people than you could ever realize. Think back to why you started this journey in the first place and don't let this bad day get in the way of your goals and dreams. Hang in there!

Edited by southwestmba 2007-09-19 7:15 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jefferson Hospital Philadelphia Distance Run Rss Feed