General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Sprint Triathalon Women only Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Na Wahine Sprint Triathalon Women only - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Honolulu, Hawaii
United States
Try Fitness
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 44s
Overall Rank = 17/217
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 6/29
Pre-race routine:

I cursed my alarm clock when it went off because it scared the crap out of me. I spent a couple of seconds trying to figure out what was going on. When I remembered I got up, turned on the coffee, got dressed, ate some peanut butter toast, packed the car, and went to pick up my support crew. 4.5 hours of sleep makes me loopy. In a good way. I think.
Event warmup:

I stared at the swim course, and then I warmed up my mouth-I found some people to chat with including tritwinmom. That got me thinking about BT, and how supportive it is. I then remembered that haz told me that I could dedicate this race to him. Thanks, haz...that made me chuckle.
Swim
  • 07m 8s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first bit was good for me, but then I decided to let the feet in front of me get away. I shouldn't have done that. I had to sight for the rest of the way. I'm lazy, and I swim better when there are people around me. At one point I almost ran into some swimmers from the second wave. They had drifted over into our path. They looked pretty confused and scared that they had drifted.

It always amazes me how quickly the swim goes. It does get me pretty excited for the rest of the race, and it calms my nerves.
What would you do differently?:

Stay on those feet. I could have kept up with them. At least that's my story.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

There is no time available for the transitions. I do know that this one was a slow one for me.

Wear socks that I know I can change into quickly. I decided to wear clean ones that I knew would give me trouble rather than wear dirty ones that I know give me no trouble.
Bike
  • 38m 46s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.57 mile/hr
Comments:

The course started with a bit of a climb. I started hammering a bit, and then backed off too much. Reminding me that I need to practice more on hills. After about 5 minutes some girls caught up with me. One of them took off, but one of them was about my speed. We played leap frog for the rest of the bike. It was great. Every time we would pass each other we would yell some encouragement. Both of us were grinning ear to ear.

In hindsight, I know that I could have pushed it more, but I was mistaken about the course, and was saving some energy for a hill that never came again.

Also, I sort of missed a turn, and got a bit off course. The volunteers looked like they were telling us to go one way when the course went the other way. The girl that I was leap frogging with took the wrong turn as well...so I had to make sure to holler so she wouldn't go too far off course. After I got on course one of the volunteers yelled at me, "You know the course, what's wrong?". Really, he sounded angry. I replied as I passed him: "I suppose not, sorry to disappoint you." That was probably more sarcasm than was needed on my part, but was irked that I was getting yelled at. This was supposed to be fun, and someone was yelling at me. Harumph.

Know the course. Not be sarcastic to the volunteer.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, no data. But, this one was better than T1.
Run
  • 24m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a good run for me. I'm still learning how to pace and push myself, but it's hard to be disappointed with this time. The course was great because it's a popular running route, and there were a lot of people on the course.

Not much. This was pretty good for me. At least two (maybe three) women in my age group passed me on the run. I know I need to really work on the whole running thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. It was kind of rushed to get packed up and head out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh. Mostly ability and fitness level. Also, lack of preparation, lack of sleep, bad eating for the couple of days before the race.

Basically, life got in the way. So, no complaints from me. Life is good.
:).

Event comments:

Fun race. I like that it's an all women's event. The atmosphere was great, and very supportive.

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:08 | 500 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/29
Overall: 6/217
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back loop that paralleled the shore. I think it was a bit shorter than 500 meters...cause I'm not that speedy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:46 | 12 miles | 18.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/29
Overall: 20/217
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: A sort of double loop thing around Kahala and Diamond Head.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:50 | 03.11 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 46/217
Performance: Good
Course: Loop around the zoo and Kapiolani Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-18 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Subject: Na Wahine Sprint Triathalon Women only

2007-09-18 10:55 PM
in reply to: #969730

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Na Wahine Sprint Triathalon Women only
Considering the lack of sleep, and your sabbatical you did so awesome! Very impressive run, my goals were to break an 8 minute last year and missed it by 23 sec.  Nice flat run uh! I think she said the swim was a bit shorter due to the swell.  I think they need to do some kind of triangle, my hubby saw people running into each other.  Glad to see you again.  I am shooting to due Lanikai again, hopefully my body will be healed!
2007-09-19 3:28 AM

User image

Regular
Very speedy race overall.  Congratulations on  a super performance. 
2007-09-19 11:26 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Congrats! Fast race!
2007-09-20 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Well I think I am going to have to try going out and partying till it hurts for my next race.  Sure seemed to work out for you!  Way to go, very nice race time, sounds like you were pretty relaxed, way to go!
2007-09-21 9:00 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Hey, great run, you must be running less like Richard Simmons now    

The volunteer probably deserved the sarcasm for a comment like that.  he should be helping...

2007-09-24 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland
“It always amazes me how quickly the swim goes” Well that is what happens when you swim so fast

What a great race you had, and you had fun It seems like you had another good day in paradise

2007-09-25 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
YOU ROCKED THE HOUSE BABAY!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Na Wahine Sprint Triathalon Women only Rss Feed