Esprit Triathlon
72F / 22C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 28m 45s
Overall Rank = 121/384
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 22/45
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, at least an hour before the alarm clock. I looked outside the hotel room to see it was very windy, looked chilly and it was raining. Browsed a bit on BT and then went downstairs in the hotel to eat breakfast. I had a bagel with cream cheese, a bowl of Fruit Loops, a muffin and a glass of orange juice. While eating, I got a call from the most amazing and stunning woman on the planet that inspired and motivated me for the race.

Checked out and left the hotel with all my gear. I was situated 30 seconds from the race site, the "Parc Jean-Drapeau", where the 1967 Olympics took place. We got to swim in the "bassin olypique" where the rowers and kayakists practice. The bike course was the F1 race track (Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve) and the run was around the "bassin".
Event warmup:

I got to the site about 2 hours before the race. I'm now realizing it's the best for me. I have plenty of time to register, talk with people there and do my things without being rushed.

I went to take my bag/bib number and get marked. Then I went to drop my things in the transition area. I got a place that I liked and started to set up. It was raining lightly so it made it difficult to move the things around since I was trying to protect them from the rain. It took forever but I wasn't rushed, so no worries there. We couldn't really go for a bike warm-up so I decided it would consist of a short run 45 minutes before the race. Ran for 15 minutes or so along the run course. I went backwards and met Mylène that was doing the HIM. She was doing great and I ran with her for a little while and tried to encourage her. She was going a little too fast for what I wanted as a WU so I told her she was kicking azs and wished her good luck. After coming back to the transition area, I changed and then put my wetsuit on. No baby oil this time. I went to the swim start. Met my parents and my bro. Swam for 5 minutes or so and then got out of the water. My dad came to me and asked a VERY pertinent question : Why don't you have a chip to your ankle? Biiiiiippppp! I started running to the "Sportstats" tent and got my chip. Ran back to the swim start (another 300m) in time for the start. Pheeewwww.
Swim
  • 22m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started at the front since the last few races I did great at the swim. I was almost at the far left. I think it was a good spot. I had a really good start. I jumped in front of the pack and my strategy was to swim fast for a few seconds, get out of the pack and then slow down. I did exactly that and didn't have too much problem. A few kicks or bumps on the feet but nothing unusual.

I got into a good rythm and was following a good pack. Looking at the results, I don't think there was too many people in front but there was at least 10 swimmers in the first half of the swim.

At about 400 meters, a boat that was supposed to be there to "help" us in case anything happened, had a problem. Well, it did and WE did! The engine died and it started to drift INTO the swim course! It drifted at least 7-8 feet on the inside of the course. They tried to paddle their way out of there but got in the way of a lot of swimmers. I was lucky I was in the front because it started to be a problem not long after I went by it.

For the last few hundred meters before the first corner, I swam between 2 guys that were pretty much the same speed I was. The guy on my right was close. Close enough he could smack me in the goggles each time I was breathing to my right and his left arm was coming back. He punched me really hard the first time, my goggles almost entered my skull. I felt so much suction or pressure on my eye that I almost stopped. I didn't because I knew it would be a major problem with everybody in the back. I sucked it up during all the swim. I was trying to get to my left a bit not to receive other punches but he kept getting to his left. I guess he was counting on me to do his sighting! By the time he punched me 3-4 times I was so pissed, it got me out of my rythm and I slowed down a bit for a few moments. I was kinda hiding from him. When I realized I was slowing down, I picked it up and got back to his left. The first buoy was coming in 50m or so. Until then, I tried to time my right arm to hit his left arm to desynchronize him or at least tell him I was there and he should stop. I think he didn't really got the memo. So we're at 5m from the corner and we're still even. He started to turn when I decided to go OVER HIM and take the inside. Eheheh I did and passed him. He was now on my left and a bit behind. After the next corner, which was 25m later, I never saw him again.

Last 700m or so was really good. First half had some touching of the feet and squeezing between 2 other swimmers but wasn't that bad. With around 500m left, I realized I didn't have to sight anymore. There was a cable in the bottom of the basin holding all buoys in a straight line. So by this time I was breathing at each 2 strokes (to my right) and wasn't even looking in front. I was in a nice zone. I was listening to my breathing that was steady and was focusing on my pull, which I'm not always able to do. I felt REALLY good and powerful. I passed 2 more guys and one just before getting out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe I could have fight this guy but not sure it would have been good on the time and sportsmanship. Seriously, not much. I think I dosed my efforts very well, was steady and focused on my things for the most part. Getting out of the water 6th out of 45 is amazing and 26th out of 385 people is awesome for me.

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 was good this time. Getting to the T area was faster than a lot of guys and I found my spot right away. The wetsuit stuck on my heels again but it wasn't that bad. I put on my sunglasses and helmet and I was off. Ran with the bike and overtook 2 to 3 guys before passing the line. I didn't struggle as much as the last time to put my shoes. By the time I entered the bike course I was done and ready for action.

Put some PAM, olive oil or KY! Dunno... I think I'll try to cut the legs a bit. I'll have to talk to the Tri-shop about that... Otherwise, FUN! Oh maybe buy tri-shoes next season, that will help a lot.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 58s
  • 40 kms
  • 28.25 km/hr
Comments:

There was so many people on the track! My guess is that we were almost on a 4.4km track.

First lap was really good. I had no problem getting up to speed. My legs didn't feel tired and I was on fire. Heh okay maybe the fact I don't kick (almost) at all does help! I felt I was pushing but not that much and I was aware that I shouldn't hammer too much since it was only the beginning.

It started raining lightly during the 2nd lap. It wasn't an issue since I trained in the rain and it doesn't bother me. It was making things a bit cold though. The rain made the track very slippery so we had to slow down a lot to avoid falling. During the 40km, I saw at least 6-7 people falling in front of me. Ouch. Let's just say it was a constant reminder that we had to slow down at the hairpin and in the "chicanes". That was my strategy and I followed it. Even though I followed the plan, I felt I was a lot faster than a lot of people in the curves and I was gaining ground there too. As soon, as we were back in a straight line, I was getting up on the bike and picking up speed as fast as possible.

For the first 7 laps, Denis (the guy who I ran with in Drummondville for most of the run leg) and I were always following each other. For the first half of the circuit I was faster than he and when we were getting to the 2nd half, he was gaining ground on me and overtaking me. Then, getting back to the start/finish I was getting him when I was getting up on the bike to gain speed. The 2nd part of the circuit was VERY windy. My theory is that his NICE tri-bike and his racing wheels helped him get more aerodynamic than I could. I don't think he has more power than I since the other half, where I was passing him, was slightly uphill. We did that for 5 laps.

At lap 6, it started to rain REALLY hard. I didn't mind too much, I even smiled. It was really torrential! I was being extra careful. In lap 7, everything was perfect until... I felt that the rear was starting to be loose and bumpy. At the time, I just passed 3-4 people and got to the inside of the curve because I was way faster than they were. Uh oh! When I realized I had a flat, I was doing 31 mph on a wet downhill curve and was on the inside! I had to avoid a few people so I could get on the side of the road to take a look at this mess. I was happy I managed not to fall and get in the way of other triathletes.

I took the rear wheel off as fast as I could and started to remove the tire. It was still raining very hard and the wind was really strong at this place. My hands were numb because of the cold weather and I was shivering. At least 3 motorcycles stopped to see if I was okay. I thanked everyone of them and made some jokes while trying to hurry. An official also stopped by and watched me work on the bike and was feeling sorry someone had to stop on the side of the road in that kind of weather. Just as I was finishing, she told me she was leaving because she was too cold. Heh, lady, you have 2 shirts, a coat and pants... I'm in tights and tri-top and standing still for 15 minutes in the rain. Oh well.

I jumped back on the bike and did the 1.5 lap left. I was so cold and was still shivering. I thought the best I could do was to hammer it at fast as I can to warm me up. I'm not sure it was the greatest thing for my legs though after been stationary for that long. I finished strong...and pissed.

No flat!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Coming in T2 was great. I had my shoes undone, my feet on the shoes and jumped off the bike very quickly. I felt I ran fast to the rack.

As I was leaning to take my running shoes, I realized there was a lot of water in them. A lot as in, I should get the water out before getting my foot in them! Tried to do it quick and hopped in, no socks. I intentionnally left my sunglasses there since it was raining and they had a lot of water in them.

Take my sunglasses with me for the run. You'll see why later.
Run
  • 40m 58s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 06s  min/km
Comments:

The legs were feeling okay, only okay. After only 300m, I knew I would have a lot of blisters. Not a worry but it was already hurting a bit on the 2 big toes. The shoes were heavy too with all that water.

The first 2 kms were really good and I was right on pace, 6min30/mile. Km 3 was "ok". Km 4 and 5 were against a pretty good wind. It was TOUGH! Speaking of tough, I got something in my left eye at the 5th km. I struggled with that eye for the rest of the race. Removing something in your eye in zone 4 while running is not something you want to do!

2nd lap was tough. All my injuries came back to haunt me at this point except the shins. The knee was starting to be rough and the groin problematic. The right leg wasn't going up as easy as it should. And finally, the foot was starting to be sore. I finished the run and I hadn't too much gas left in the tank but I did my best and hammered it.

Be injury free and wear my sunglasses!
Post race
Warm down:

Very cold after the race. My parents and 2 aunts came to talk to me. I was soaked so I started shivering soon after the finish. I went to change in the transition area but there weren't a lot of dry clothes! I had the bright idea to put my stuff in a garbage bag before leaving for the swim start. It paid off because everything else was soaked!

Went back to the car after a little (it was awful!) and guess what?! Got a ticket. Everybody had a ticket! At least 500 cars had a damn ticket in their windshields! Yes I'll contest it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries and a flat!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:50 | 1500 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/45
Overall: 26/384
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Rectangular. Little buoys all along until the 2 big ones at each end of the course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:24:58 | 40 kms | 28.25 km/hr
Age Group: 37/45
Overall: 284/384
Wind: Strong
Course: 9 laps around the F1 racetrack (Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve). 4.4km
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:40:58 | 10 kms | 04m 06s  min/km
Age Group: 6/45
Overall: 35/384
Course: 2*5km laps around the basin.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-09-21 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Quebec city
Subject: Triathlon de Montreal

2007-09-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: #974242

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Montreal

Let me get this straight... assuming I know my metric conversions, and I *think* I do... you changed a flat tire and still had almost an 18mph average on the bike???  Wow. 

Congratulations on an amazing swim and a speedy quick run.  Even with lousy conditions and a mechanical problem you still had a great race.  Nice job there, rock star. 

2007-09-21 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Wow, that is what I call persistance!! I'd have quit after getting punched in the face!  Flat tire, freezing cold downpour, and something poking you in the eye only to be greeted with a parking ticket?  I have to wonder what the phone call in the morning was like, must have been inspiring!  Well done.
2007-09-21 2:31 PM

Pro
Nice job! What a race!
2007-09-21 3:35 PM

Pro
AZ
Oh man! What a struggle!!  Can't believe you were able to keep going after the guy jammed your goggled into your brain!! Then the rain and the flat and the thing in your eye!!!! It was a TRUE test of endurance!! AND you did it!!!  You rock!!!
2007-09-21 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Way to end the outdoor racing season!  I bet it's beautiful, racing in Montreal.  I love to visit in the summer time for jazz, food, and times in the parcs.  Such a pretty city!

2007-09-26 1:03 AM

User image

Veteran
MA
Sounds like you have a great family who really supports you.  That is hilarious/almost not funny at all that your dad caught your missing ankle chip.  All obstacles aside, congrats on a great season ending race!
2007-10-03 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Montreal

Nice job on the race Steve.   I watched you guys at the swim exit. Kick butt time on the swim.

The rain on the bike really did suck, and the wind on the return straight away was tough.
(I raced the Sprint at 12:50.)

Mike

2007-10-03 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto
Great race in absolutely horrible conditions. Congrats on the finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon de Montreal Rss Feed