General Discussion Race Reports! » Oktoberfest Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oktoberfest Sprint Distance Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hiawassee, Georgia
United States
Great Smoky Mountain Triathlon Club
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 01m 30s
Overall Rank = 2/62
Age Group = 40-44m
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

This was the second of two races over the weekend - I raced the Int'l Dist the day before and much to my shock took 3rd OA. Came into this race figuring I'd do my best and maybe get some hardware for AG but not really intending to go crazy.

Oatmeal and bananas

Event warmup:

Ran for a half mile with lifts going up a hill - just enough to test if there was any spring left from the day before.
Swim
  • 14m 57s
  • 439 yards
  • 03m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Nature of sprints is you have to hustle right from the gun - there's just not enough time to make up lost time against the stronger folks. I tried to keep the effort to just below where the heartrate goes nuts.

Came out of the water maybe in 10-12 position.

OA rank above based on prelim results - times not yet posted

What would you do differently?:

Love to have the confidence in my swim to just hammer from the git-go. That's a dream I have at every race.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

I think my race was made by T1 - Since I leave my shoes clipped in and only put on helmet and sunglasses, I scoot right in and out. I believe I left around 3-4 folks at least in T1.
Bike
  • 22m 33s
  • 8 miles
  • 21.29 mile/hr
Comments:

My strong suit - I passed every rider in front of me, except one who must have absolutely killed the swim. I ride best in the hills and all the passes were made on uphill grades. I had no idea where I stood position-wise as I made the turn back into the Rec Area but only saw one runner coming out of T2 - Could I possibly be in 2nd place?

Rankings above based on prelim results - Time not yet posted

Not race the day before? Legs felt perfectly fine but who knows if there was more speed to be had.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

T2 was not nearly as snappy - wee bit of fumbling 'round.

Learn to get my feet out of the shoes while still on the bike so as to make a flying leap from the bike while still in motion - Those ITU guys make it look easy
Run
  • 22m 15s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

The distance had to be off. .Like at least by a half mile too long but no big deal. I could see one guy in front of me by about 150 yards. I made up time very slowly but until the turnaround had no idea how many other people were still ahead - He was the only one. Could I possibly be in second place? Totally unchartered territory. I was already running about as fast as I could so it's not like I was stalking the guy, waiting to spring my kick to the finish but he really did seem to be slowing down. W/in the last 200 yards, I mustered all I had, took the lead and for 50 glorious yards, I was winning a race. Alas, it was not to be. My competitor had a kick in reserve and passed me about 20-30 yards from the end. OK, 2nd place OA after going 3rd the day before in a longer race.

Best Guess re time is around 21 mins based on course and abundant adrenaline.

Better strategy at the end could have won me this race. I shouldn't have made a move so far from the finish but hey, it's not like I've been confronted with having to make those kinds of decisions since I took up triathlon. :-)
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above comments about racing the day before.

Event comments:

The Int'l Distance race here was my first ever tri back in '03. .We keep coming back because it's a beautiful setting for a race - Great swim venue and challenging bike course. I am not too sure about the distance measurements but that's a small detail in the face of all the things to like. All in all, I give the Race Director high marks.

PS - my kids raced too! They did the kids race and even though they didn't come home with hardware, I know they're quite proud to participate.

Last updated: 2007-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:57 | 439 yards | 03m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 8/62
Performance: Average
distance is way off
Suit:
Course: A kind of a trapezoid around buoys - Lake's water level was low, low, low.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:22:33 | 08 miles | 21.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/62
Wind:
Course: Distance above is incorrect - It was more like 8miles Loop out of Clay County Rec Park onto public roads heading towards Hayesville, NC Course rolled continuously - Either going up or down.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:15 | 03 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 3/62
Course: Out and back on combination of Rec Center driveway, running trail and walkway on the top of Lake Chatuge Dam. Basically flat and fast
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-24 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Subject: Oktoberfest Sprint Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oktoberfest Sprint Distance Triathlon Rss Feed