Lynne Cohen Foundation
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m
Overall Rank = 218/1196
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after far too little sleep (well, it was my 2 year anniversary the day before!) I felt sore, especially after the car accident yesterday, but decided I definitely wanted to run. I ate some frozen grapes, 1/2 a muffin with a bit of peanut butter, and some mango. I also had some dried apple crisps. This was approximately 6:00am. I couldn't find my heart rate monitor (next time, I would definitely have everything laid out the night before) so decided not to stress and just go without it. Got to the race, picked up my number, and had about 1.5 hours to simply wander around the expo, which was really fun.
Event warmup:

Stretching, walking, and praying...rinse, repeat!
Run
  • 31m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I am so proud of myself for maintaining my pace and not trying to push too hard. After the accident yesterday, and with a tri in two short weeks, I really kept cool and focused, and maintained my usual pace. There were plenty of times I really wanted to speed up, but decided to keep safe and not risk hurting myself. But of course, I sprinted to the finish line for the cameras!
What would you do differently?:

If I weren't running it for training, I would certainly have pushed the pace a bit more. I also wouldn't have been in an accident the day before. I also would have DEFINITELY taken advil before the race, which was a rather large mistake. However, it was my first race EVER and I am sooooo beyond proud of myself!!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, walked around a bit, sat down, had a sugar-free vanilla from Coffee bean.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being hit by a car, having common sense, my tendonitis, and lack of speed work. However, I'm ecstatic by my performance, so who cares?

Event comments:

I am so proud to have participated in this race, and also to have been the 5th highest overall individual fundraiser! This is especially amazing as I only knew about the race 2 weeks before it happened, so I am sooooo grateful to my fabulous friends, family, and ESPECIALLY Jasha Cultreri who so generously donated! This was my first race ever, and I am so proud, happy, and excited for my first tri. Yeay!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-09-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:00 | 03.11 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 218/1196
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a lovely out and back flat course with a turnaround. On the way out, it starts downhill and goes slightly up, and of course reverse on the way back. A nice aspect that I didn't take advantage of was the divider between the two sides of the street was grass which people could run on, and on the way back, about 1 mile was dirt trail. I should have utilized these to give my foot a break, but I really wanted the feel of a pavement run for the upcoming tri.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-09-30 3:13 PM

User image

New York, NY
Subject: Kickin' Cancer 5k Run

2007-10-02 3:04 AM
in reply to: #984495

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Kickin' Cancer 5k Run

Wow, Katharine!

Way to go for going out there and doing it despite some really difficult circumstances. I know you took it "easy," but your time is still awesome! I drool with envy!

Congrats also on being the #5 fundraiser. You have a huge, huge heart.

2007-10-02 2:17 PM
in reply to: #984495

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Kickin' Cancer 5k Run
Congrats on your time, I am sorry to hear about your wreck.  I hope you recover fully before your tri.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kickin' Cancer 5k Run Rss Feed