Tri And Du It
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 21m 17s
Overall Rank = 190/220
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/24
Pre-race routine:

For once I didn't have to wake up at the Crack of Stupid to get to a race, the race site is only 5 minutes from my house. Ate PB Bagel.
Event warmup:

Hehe..I've tapered for this race for 3 weeks and you think now I'm going to warm up?? I chatted with Matt(tri_sport19) and Mike (mscotthall) and my friend Pam was there. Pam, I see some Open Water Swims(OWS) in your future! I chatted with a girl who was doing her 1st tri, she was a bit clueless in transition and didn't even have her chip yet and it was 10 min before race start. I helped her out as best I could and how does she thank me....by taking 3rd place her in AG!! Congrats Virginnie!
Swim
  • 29m 51s
  • 1320 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water was a bit choppy, but breathing only left actually helped me since I face away from chop for 3/4 of the course. It's uncanny how I always manage to be a magnet for guys with poor sighting. Course was big enough and field small enough for everyone to have their own water, yet there I was getting roughed up by the same guy for 200 yds. Guess it doesn't say much for my ability to drop these wayward swimmers. But hey, it was fun.
What would you do differently?:

Umm..train?
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Pretty decent transition. Pam came over and chatted with me during transition, that was nice. I complained how I need to get faster at transitions, I think she took this to me she was slowing me down. Quite the contrary, I probably went faster because she was there..trying to look like a tri stud and all. Again, I forgot how tough it is to look cool in T1 when there are about 5 bikes left in transition.

Talk to Pam more :)
Bike
  • 1h 09m 9s
  • 17 miles
  • 14.75 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew the course pretty well since, when I did train, I would often ride through this course. Hills killed me from lack of training and lack of weight loss. But I sure did have fun on downhills. One downhill you always have to stop during training because of an intersection, today it was blocked by police and you could bomb it. This is where I probably reached my max of 38.1 mph. I saw Pam again at the turnaround for first loop. Got passed by race leaders somehwere out there..Holy Crap are they fast! I did manage a negative split as Computer had me at 14.1 mph for 1st loop and 14.6 for full course. Not exactly Armstrong numbers, but silver lining nonetheless! :)

Umm..train (Seeing a pattern here) ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Pretty good T2 for me. Actually thought I forgot something :)

Zippo
Run
  • 38m 35s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Uggghhh!! What can I say? Extra weight & Lack of training really caught up with me on run. I tried to push but just couldn't. I also think I lack mental toughness to just force myself through hard parts. I would like to strengthen my mental toughness in off season, not sure how to do this? As I was finishing Loop 1 I see Eva & Lucas!! I stopped for 3 seconds to give them each a big kiss, this was the first tri they've ever been to together! I passed them again on 2nd loop and did same thing, so I probably could have shaved 6 seconds off of my run but it was best 6 second "penalty" ever! I saw them again as I came into finishing chute, but grabbing Lucas seemed a little over the top for a Sprint, so I abstained.

See above
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Eva & Lucas and talked with Matt. Didn't see Mike, he was probably home, showered, and fed already before I finished. :) Talked with my new friend Virginnie and took pictures of her and her husband as she gleamed with 3rd place AG Medal around her neck.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of Training.

Event comments:

I gave this race a 4 because even though it was first year, JP puts on a good event and he will work out the kinks. His schwag bags and post race food/raffles always outdo his local competition. We got blessed with with the weather, since early October can be horrendous in NY, instead it was bordering on being too warm.

Last updated: 2007-09-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:51 | 1320 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/24
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Xterra Ventiliator
Course: Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:09 | 17 miles | 14.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/24
Wind: None
Course: (2) 8.5 Mile loops through residential neighborhoods
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:38:35 | 03.1 miles | 12m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/24
Course: (2) 1.55 Loops along Beach and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 7:34 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Subject: Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon

2007-10-08 9:52 AM
in reply to: #996064

User image

Veteran
Long Island
Subject: RE: Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon
I always enjoy reading your reports because they are humerous.

It always nice to race in your backyard !
2007-10-08 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Great capper on the season. Glad to see you're back to having fun at these things after "Hell on a Pancake".

Look forward to seeing you at more races next year. I've already signed up for gold Coast!
2007-10-08 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
That wasn't a 6 second "penalty"- it was a bonus.  Or, um, something like that.    Either way, sounds like a morale booster to me.  Congrats on getting out there and racing even if you haven't had exactly the training you might have liked.  A negative split on the bike is impressive, so congrats on a great last tri of the season.  Way to finish with a bang!
2007-10-08 3:44 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Not much training and the guy busts out sprints and olympics!!  Nice job to end the season.  Heck of a long swim, for a sprint!!  Nice touch re: the "6 second penalty." 
2007-10-09 8:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago

Always good to read your reports!

Look back - you had a heckuva 1st season! Be proud dude!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedar Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed