General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 40/53
Pre-race routine:

Well I was supposed to be racing the 1/2 Iron but did not train at all so I switched to the sprint at the last minute. Kylie and I racked our bikes on Friday after packet pickup and decided to air up the tires a little. As soon as I got the pump nozzle on the rear valve stem the tube went flat. Ripped the tube right at the valve stem. No biggie, had a spare tube in the Xterra, just took the tire with me and brought it back the next morning. Saturday morning we got racked early, hung out for a while. I talked to Dennis for a bit and then listened to the pre-race meeting mumbo jumbo.
Event warmup:

Headed down to the water and saw John along the way. Kylie was doing the Oly so she started long before I did. After she started I ran into the other BT'ers and talked with John, Marcy, Steve, Aaron and Craig for a while. No warm up to speak of!
Swim
  • 20m 11s
  • 805 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow that water was warm! At the start I was still wading in so I started at the back of the pack. The first 200 or so was shallow with a lot of weeds and junk to contend with. I stayed pretty wide to the left the whole swim. Rounded the first buoy easy and kept trucking. I looked up to sight shortly after the buoy and would have been headed out to sea if I hadn't changed course a little. I swam easy and never pushed it. Had problems swimming up on some guys who were breaststroking then as soon as I hit them they would sprint out ahead of me and then start the breaststroking again until I hit them again. Kind of annoying. The buoys were pretty spaced out and I really didn't sight off of the far buoy at all until I was just about there. I just sighted off of the pack and prayed they were going the right direction. Rounded the last buoy and started to catch the stragglers from the wave ahead of me. Just swam in easy and kicked out the legs some the last 100 or so to loosen up.
What would you do differently?:

Train. Overall good swim though.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

Long run up to transition. Once I got up the hill and into transition I walked to my rack because I had my HR way too high and needed to relax a little. Put on shoes, helmet and glasses and I was off. Kinda slow but really a long way from water to bike out.

Train
Bike
  • 42m 55s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow, hills huh? Course was fun but tough for this flatlander! The first few miles were really pretty rough road. Grabbed a gatorade at the first aid station and launched it out of my rear bottle cage before I ever got a sip of it. Oh well. With all of the hills I really just sat back and spun easy not to tear up my legs. The one steep short hill that we had been warned about got me out of the saddle and into my easiest gear but it was not too bad. There were a lot of people walking it and many of them walking in the middle of the road. That made it kind of hard trying to dodge those folks all over the place. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. Got passed a lot and passed quite a few as well. The hills lead to a lot of close quarters and unintentional drafting for some but I tried to stay away from that jazz. At the end I was pretty thankful that I didn't have to go for a 2nd loop!

Find some hills, train on them.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Took my time here to put socks on for the run. When I hopped off the bike I landed on my heel and it still hurts 2 days later. Really need to learn to be faster in T2.

Train and learn to run without socks.
Run
  • 36m 16s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Slowest 5k I have ever run! Started off OK until the first big hill. Legs were pretty tight so I walked up the hill. As I was walking up the hill I saw Kylie on the bike riding up the same hill about to start the run. After that I plugged along at my slow pace from aid station to aid station. At each aid station I walked and drank a bunch of water. I could not cool off on this run. The course was not bad and it was nice not running on pavement as well. The bands were great and the aid stations were well stocked. I was very happy to see the finish line and ran it out. Saw the BT'ers just before I crossed the line.

Train.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my towel and water bottle and went to talk with the group of BT'ers for a while. Then I walked down a little farther so I could see Kylie come in to start her second run lap. After she passed and was looking good I went and ate a burrito and drank everything I could find. Finally found Kylie's sister and we walked around and waited for Kylie to finish. She finished strong and we packed up and headed to the house for a nice nap and some good college football.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Severe lack of training!

Event comments:

What can I say, Keith puts on the best races ever. Lonestar and Longhorn were both well planned excellent races that we will definitely be doing again. We are even talking about going to NH for Mooseman or Timberman next year. Keith and his crew are amazing! I would recommend their races to anyone!

Last updated: 2007-10-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:11 | 805 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/53
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:55 | 12 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 35/53
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:16 | 03.1 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 43/53
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-08 2:16 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-10-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #996957

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Good Job!
2007-10-08 10:28 PM
in reply to: #996957

User image

Veteran
Carencro, Louisiana
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint
GREAT JOB!!!    Glad you had a good time!  Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed