Dallas, Texas
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 30s
Overall Rank = 165/235
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15. With the weird logistics of needing to go to T2 and set up, then get a bus out to T1 (25 miles away), set up there, and be out of transition by the time it closed at 7:15, my friends and I wanted to get an early start. Ate a quick breakfast of cereal and milk, re-checked my bags and headed out.
Event warmup:

Everything went smoothly, (except for the fact that our bus driver didn't know wherer he was going) but we needed all the time we took to get set up. Didn't really do any warming up, and in fact was freezing my butt off. It was chilly and windy and because of the TT start my wave needed to wait around for quite awhile. By the time I was in the chute waiting for my start I was shivering and my teeth were chattering.
Swim
  • 19m 57s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had never done a TT start and didn't really know what to expect, but I thought it went really smoothly. Once I got in the water I felt really good. The water was so much warmer than the air it was kind of a relief. Initially my sighting was good, but in the second half of the swim my goggles were all fogged up and I couldn't see a thing, plus there was the lack of buoys I mentioned above. I actually needed take my goggles off to find the exit point. I felt like I was swimming well. Breathing was good, was swimming pretty straight, but my time was 15-20sec/100y slower than any of my previous races...I'm hoping that the course was just longer than the stated distance, because otherwise I don't know what went wrong, unless there was some kind of current I didn't feel but effected my swim..
What would you do differently?:

? need new goggles
Get stronger
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Transition went pretty well. The only thing that sucked was that the surface of the T1 area was really rough and killed my feet running up to the bike.

More practice. I have to say, I watched the Pros go through their transition and they are super fast.
Bike
  • 1h 26m 42s
  • 24.86 miles
  • 17.20 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been stressed out about this ride since I decided to do this race. I've done a couple of rides this distance, but not along with swimming and/or running. We had to check our bikes in yesterday so I drove the course. As we were leaving the state park my husband looked over to his left and pointed out the buildings of downtown Dallas. You know when you're really far away from a city you can see the faint shape of the skyscrapers? That was what I could see, and all I could think was, "Damn that's far away."

I thought my worst fears were coming true as I headed out into a fairly strong headwind. I knew that the biggest hills on the course were at the beginning of the course and didn't know how I was going to get through the ride with the hills and headwind working against me...I know, I know, I'm a big baby....but watching my bike computer showing me creep along at 7-9miles and hour huffin' and puffin' all the while was disheartening.

I knew if I could get through the first 8 miles, I'd be in good shape because the course changed direction and went with the wind. Holy crap, what a difference. Not only was the wind pushing me along, but there were some sweet downhills too (max speed 37.2...a new record for me). Really felt good for most of the rest of the race.

We were riding on major city streets with tons of traffic and I was wondering how they were going to manage it, but I have to give credit where credit is due, I thought the traffic control was terrific. I never saw any problems, or even close calls. The race lane was wide enough that I never felt crowded in. There was plenty of room to pass (and get passed...lol).

Coming over the bridge into downtown was awesome. It was great to know the ride was almost over, but it was also a very cool thing to bike into the city, and go around the ring road to get to T2. I can't describe the feeling. I just felt like a real athlete.

Surprisingly, from my less than stellar start, I had my fastest avg speed this season.

Get stronger.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I thought I was slower in T2. Probably because my friend who was wearing her running shoes on the bike and came into T2 with me, just hopped off her bike and went.

Had a GU, and a couple of gulps of water. Took a deep breath and off I went to face my nemesis..the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 35m 10s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into the race with very little expectation for the run. I'm not a good runner to begin with and I figured with the 25 mile bike, my legs were going to be fried. So, I did my run/walk thing. There were a lot of others doing the same, and I had a great time with them, basically playing catch-up. One would walk the other would jog, then catch up later when the other person was walking. Found a neighbor of mine who I didn't even know was racing. It was very friendly, and I did try to push myself when I could.

Right before the last big turn into the stadium there were a couple of volunteers, one of which was yelling encouragement to everyone. I think she was doing it continuously through the whole race, and I don't think she can possibly have a voice left tonight. She kept yelling, " Come on, bring it on in, bring it on in!!!" I wanted to say, "Lady, I left it back there." LOL But she was great and pretty motivating...there was no walking past her...run, run, run!

Then it was up a short hill and a bend to the left. I caught up to some guy, and looked over, and said, "Race, ya!", then we both sprinted for the finish which was very fun, and yes, he beat me easily.

Hubby and kiddoes, were waiting at the finish line, which is my favorite part. They're so proud of me, which makes me proud of myself.

This off-season is dedicated to improving my running abilities. Gotta lose weight and get faster.
Post race
Warm down:

First of all, they handed out icy cold towels at the finish line, which I loved!! They also gave everyone finishers medals which were silver in color. My son, who is so cute I want to squeeze him all the time, said. "Mom, they may have given you the silver, but you deserve a gold!" What is better than that, I ask you?

I walked around and stretched. I actually didn't get to see much of the post race festivities, so I don't know how they were in comparison to other races I've been to. (Didn't have too long to stick around because hubby had tickets to the Cowboys/Patriots game)

I just couldn't believe that my first triathlon season is over. It has been so amazing to start this sport/obsession/lifestyle. I am so grateful that this website, and all the people on it exist, and are so willing to teach and support newcomers to the sport. I especially have to thank TriOK's mentoring group. They have been amazing; my daily inspires were very much needed to keep me from getting unmotivated. Thanks guys!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more experience and more work. Going to use my off-season to focus on running and build a more solid endurance base. Want to do an Oly next season, so I'm going to need to work harder.

Last updated: 2007-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:57 | 875 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/19
Overall: 117/235
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise rectangle. Was OK going out, but there were not enough buoys on the way in so had to watch the people in front of me and hope they were going in the right direction.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:42 | 24.86 miles | 17.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 0/235
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: Point to point course from the lake area to Downtown Dallas on busy city roads. There were some rought patches and potholes, but the course was in better shape than I thought it would be given the reports on BT.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:10 | 03.11 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/19
Overall: 0/235
Performance: Average
Course: Loop through the city street of downtown Dallas, through a couple of tunnels.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-15 4:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Subject: Toyota US Open Triathlon

2007-10-15 5:19 PM
in reply to: #1009197

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota US Open Triathlon
Good job on the race. Those two ladies were yelling the entire time! They must be hoarse today.
2007-10-15 6:58 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Nice race!

Heh... yeah I made a point of NOT knowing how fast I wasn't was going into the wind and uphill on the bike. The downhills made up for it though! Great job.

2007-10-15 7:55 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job out there
2007-10-15 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
That's a heck of a good bike time on that course. It was more rolling than it appeared in the bike profile, and that first 8 miles was tough with the headwind. Very well done.
2007-10-16 12:29 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Congrats!  Very happy to see you had such a great time doing this race!  Cool

Looks like it was pretty interesting and a lot of fun!  You're right, you can't beat encouragement like that from your family!

2007-10-18 5:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
Awesome job! You really owned this race... and you were worried about the bike! You have done a great job this season. I really hope we get to do a race together next season. Keep kickin' !
2007-10-18 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Nice work. Congrats!

And the paper and race results all said the sprint swim was 850M, as opposed to 800M. So the may explain some of your time. If it was 850M, you swam about 2:20/100M and 2:06/100yards. The rest can probably be attributed to the chop and you saying you got a little off course on the way in due to goggles and lack of buoys.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota US Open Triathlon Rss Feed