General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the Wrenches: Wheels & Hubs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-18 7:27 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: Question for the Wrenches: Wheels & Hubs

The wheels on my road bike don't want to spin anymore. Yeah, that'd be a problem.   Seriously, my road bike has a set of old entry level Rolf's on them, and the runout on the wheel is pretty quick. The wheels are still true and in good shape, other than they just don't roll as smoothly as they once did - they're 6 years old.

I can only assume this means the hubs are deteriorating.  Can any wrenches out there comment on 1) should I replace the hubs / bearings, 2) if so, what are good VALUE hubs / bearings to use, or if not,  3) what the other problems might be?  Or should I not bother upgrading an entry level Rolf and get a different, quality training wheel, like some Neuvations?

Appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.

2007-10-18 8:57 AM
in reply to: #1013349

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Question for the Wrenches: Wheels & Hubs

If they are just seizing then you may be able to get away with rebuilding them.  Are they sealed cartridge bearings or are they old school lose ones?  After you pull the axle and then the free-hub off (just takes a big azz allen wrench inserted into the whole left by the axle) you can check the bearings and especially the races.  I'd say it would be way cheaper to just rebuild the hubs.  But if the races are shot then you'll want to replace the whole hub.  You'll also want to check the axle for pitting at the same time.

How many spokes?  Are they bladed?  If it is a standard count and you want to replace the hubs then just get some Shimano ones.  Most people end up selling the hubs that come in their groupos when they buy them so you can get a good deal on EBay.  Of course I'd say get Dura Ace ones, but if you are planning on just using these as training wheels then 105 will work just fine.  It doesn't matter how many gears you have on the cassette as the same free-hub will hold 8/9/10.

For pricing I'd say rebuilding the hubs will run you about $30-ish per wheel at a shop, $10-ish if you do it yourself.  If you replace the hub then you will need the cost of the hubs, new spokes and a wheel build.  I'd typically charg $25 to rebuild a wheel with new hubs/spokes as a labor cost.  So factor in that (probably more with current pricing) and the cost of the materials.

Edited by Daremo 2007-10-18 9:01 AM
2007-10-18 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Rick, you are undercharging for the replacing the hub and rebuilding the wheel. At performance bike here in Los Angeles, I just asked about it and they are charging $75 labor to rebuild (parts not included).

Edited by auto208562 2007-10-18 10:17 AM
2007-10-18 10:26 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
I wouldn't consider myself a "Wrench", but I am smarter than a bag of hammers. Not much, though, as you know...

My feeling is that you should find out how much it will cost to replace them, and compare to upgrading to a new set of wheels. Find out what the options are - you know how much a new set of rims are, you can easily find out how much new hubs are, and go from there. If you know your way around a wrench, it shouldn't be too difficult to get a rough assessment of the problem. I suspect Shimano makes a good value HUB and bearings.
2007-10-18 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I'm a big proponent of the "take it apart and see what you've got" strategy.  Standard cup and cone hubs are pretty straight forward, but do take a certain "feel."  Newer cartridge bearings take most of the guesswork out of a repair.  It's a pretty small investment either way. 

For the cup and cones, the grease tends to attract dirt/debris and thickens/hardens with age.  Cleaning up all the pieces and repacking the bearings with fresh grease should return the wheels to "like new" condition as long as races aren't pitted or scored.  Sealed cartridge bearings eliminate the dirt part of the equation, but they still get debris buildup and the grease ages. 

2007-10-18 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
A good winter project you've got there. Agree with Rick, rebuilding hubs is a not too difficult exercize while watching football and having a beer. Simply keep track of your parts and download an exploded parts diagram if possible.

Most hubs are loose bearings in a race. Typically, the steel of the ball bearing is softer than the race it rides on. Hence the ball wears before the shell (Dura-Ace are boron). So, a trip to the LBS or a local harware store should get you new ball bearings. The LBS can likely figure out what size you need. They're cheap, maybe $2 / wheel.

Simply dis-assemble the hub (cone wrenches required), clean the shell, axel and outward shell cup with a clean dry rag pulling all that spent, likely thin and brown former grease out. Lay a THICK thread of beautiful, green Phil Wood's in there and put in the same number of ball bearings you removed. Put the whole works back together and tension such that it's closed, but not binding up. Make sure your axel is centered with the same amount exposed left and right.

Start with the front wheel; it's simpler. The rear wheel may have 2 different ball bearing sizes and counts.

If you replace, maybe Ultegra or 105 hubs are better than Dura-Ace? I'm not certain, but don't the DA hubs come with a specific spline for DA 10 speed cassettes now and aren't compatible where Ultegra and 105 are universal? Or is that just the cassette? Anyway, save yourself $100 for the pair and buy Ultegra.

Lacing a wheel 3-cross 32hole is all I've ever built; it's not too difficult, but is exacting in technique. If you're patient, it's cool to lace your own wheels. Again, front is simpler because the spokes are the same length bc the wheel is symmetrical. Google "spoke length calculator" and you'll find an Excel sheet which knows all the rims / hubs and can calculate what lentgh spoke you'll need. If you do rebuild, drop $0.50/spoke and buy new. Don't re-use stressed and likely to fail when re-tensioned spokes by going cheap now.

Even if you do buy new, rebuilding these gives you a good set of pit / beta wheels. Keep 'em running!

Edited by pitt83 2007-10-18 11:27 AM

2007-10-18 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1013626

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

auto208562 - 2007-10-18 11:12 AM Rick, you are undercharging for the replacing the hub and rebuilding the wheel. At performance bike here in Los Angeles, I just asked about it and they are charging $75 labor to rebuild (parts not included).

When I was building them it would take me less than an hour to rebuild a wheel so that was the rate we went at.  Granted, the last wheel I built in a shop was in 1998, so times have changed, but not that much.

$75 for a build is extortion.  But Performance is known for that .........

2007-10-18 11:36 AM
in reply to: #1013736

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

pitt83 - 2007-10-18 12:12 PM I'm not certain, but don't the DA hubs come with a specific spline for DA 10 speed cassettes now and aren't compatible where Ultegra and 105 are universal? Or is that just the cassette?

No, the cassettes are interchangeable with all the hubs.  It is the chain/derrailleur that will not work unless they are the same speed.  That is why I said you could use any 8/9/10 Shimano cassette with the current hub splines.

2007-10-18 12:17 PM
in reply to: #1013467

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Rick, thanks for the info. That's a start.

The spokes are paired, non-bladed. 20 in front, 24 in back. You can see a picture of them HERE.

So, basically, what I need to do is:

• Pull the front wheel
  • Dissemble the front hub
  • See what kind of bearings are in there
  • If loose, then inspect the balls and race for wear / damage / pitting, & replace if necessary
  • If cartridge, then "get a new one"
  • If the race is shot, then I need a new Rolf-Compatible Hub - now I'm wheel building.
  • Clean, grease, and reassemble.

And thanks, Rick / Pitt / Mike for the quick replies.

2007-10-18 1:34 PM
in reply to: #1013850

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
And return to step one with the rear wheel..........

I do my whole fleet of bikes every winter; hub overhaul, bb, new cables and housing, drop the fork and re-grease the headset, new bar tape, strip every part from every other one and re-assemble. Takes me a couple night's work and a few $$$, but my circa 1995 MTB still runs like new.

Tnx for the compatability info; that's got to be a Shimano first to make things interchangeable

Edited by pitt83 2007-10-18 1:40 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for the Wrenches: Wheels & Hubs Rss Feed