General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Richmond Sports Backers
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 49m 31s
Overall Rank = 70/500
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 12/18
Pre-race routine:

This started on friday. Two easy duathlon's on friday and saturday leading up to the race. Race morning was the usual food, hydration, and bathroom rituals. My race morning ritual seems to work great, so I'm sticking with it.
Event warmup:

Well, with overnight bike check-in, warmup was a 1.5 mile run and some stretching. Everything felt nice and loose for the start. It seemed like every one was running late this morning.
Run
  • 57m 18s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 06m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Nothing additional to the course description.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe push a little harder, but I was running at an HR of 172, which is right where I wanted to be. Pushing harder could have set me up badly for the bike, so Really...I wouldn't do anything different.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

The transition was fast and just like I wanted until the exit.

Not slip and fall on the timing mat on the way out of T1. I completely busted my ass, dropped my bike, spilled my aero bottle. The crowd moaned in pain for me, some other jackass that tried to make fun of me fell even harder than I did.
Bike
  • 2h 20m 32s
  • 48 miles
  • 20.49 mile/hr
Comments:

No ranking for individual segments yet. It was sweet course, and a great ride!
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

59 seconds is pretty damn fast, And I didn't fall on the way back in.

Pass the guy running in front of me with his bike that was going to slow, and pass the guy running in front of me in the exit chute (that was running to slow), I just kept thinking....GET OUT OF MY WAY!!! :)
Run
  • 29m 38s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 06m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Another good solid run. I made up a lot of time and places in the run. I caught and passed a few people that passed me in the last couple miles of the bike...sweet!

Nothing...I was on! All the on-course support kept telling me how strong I looked...I'm not going to argue with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, stretching, nice hot shower!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran the race I planned to run. I used just about all my gears on my bike, ran at the pace I wanted to run and came in about 6 minutes faster than I set as a target.

Event comments:

There's something special about representing your country as an athlete. This whole weekend was an amazing experience. I can only hope to qualify and have the opportunity to do this again...maybe next time it will be overseas (which would require a little more planning). This whole race was on a different level than anything I've done before.

Last updated: 2007-10-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:57:18 | 9.32 miles | 06m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/500
Performance: Good
Lap1: 28:24 @ 172/183 HR avg/max Lap2: 28:51 @ 168/189
Course: 7.5k course, two laps for the first run (one lap for the second). Mostly on roads for the first 4.5k, the ending 3k was on Richmond's Canal Walk. Two water stops plus one in transition. It was a really good course, mostly flat, with a steep hill back into transition...the ending hill fit my running style well, and allowed me to pass a lot of people going into T1. I was running with two people for most of this run and we pulled each other along. It was great racing as team :)..."Team USA"
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
02:20:32 | 48 miles | 20.49 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 4 laps of a very challenging, very turny 19k course. A great course for spectators, and for athletes. I just went out there and had fun.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:38 | 04.66 miles | 06m 22s  min/mile
HR: 170/185 avg/max I stayed in my zone the whole time.
Course: See Run1
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 6:29 PM

North Carolina
Subject: ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships

2007-10-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1017787

Subject: RE: ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships
Amazing race! Congrats on your 6 min PR and even off your target race time. You're a stud. I hope your family was able to come and watch!
2007-10-22 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on a great race. Sounds like you were definitely "on".

I agree that it was a very nice course and the crowds and volunteers were great. The weather was also beautiful -- like it peaked for the race also.

Congrats again.

Mike
2007-10-22 6:19 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Congratulations on a great race!  Good job on catching people on the second run - it looked like it was tough for a lot of people with the temperature getting warmer.  It was a lot of fun to be at the race and the weather was fantastic.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships Rss Feed