The Red Rock Company
97F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 55m 4s
Overall Rank = 520/593
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 65/72
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00. Took a shower and did the normal bathroom business. I'm not sure what my problem is but I have to shower before a race. I feel fresh that way. Put some body glide on for the wetsuit so I would not forget.
Water, coffee, myoplex shake and banana

Ken came over at 5:00 for the ride to Tempe
Event warmup:

Set up transition nicely just outside the bike rack. I had an end spot by the port o'potties. Just my luck someone tells me that my stuff can't be outside of the rack. Who would have thought real estate would be at a premium. I found some new space with my neighbor who was cool about it.

I had this grand plan of chatting with my fellow BTers and tri peeps but I could not find anyone. It was too dark to see anyone. I even brought a flashlight but that did not help. I wsa first wave so I did not have a lot of time. I saw Jen and Josh rush into Transition at about 6:15.

I visited the restroom prior to the race start and found my wife and daughter for a quick kiss.
Swim
  • 32h 15m
  • 1000 meters
  • 3h 13m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

I set a PR for this portion of the race. I have never swam 1000 meters. I panicked a little at the start. I moved to the outside to allow the speedsters to go by. I also wanted to avoid getting run over. I saw Jerry at the second bouy and said a quick hello. I swam towards home and got a little off course. I quickly recovered and got going. I was wearing a red cap and saw some silver and pink caps. This was probably not a good thing. The shoulder that has bothered me for the past week and a half felt fine. I did stop to rest occasionally but did not have to visit a Kayak. I'm happy about that. I felt better about this swim than Nathan's
What would you do differently?:

I learned that I have lots of work ahead of me. I think with more practice, I can become a decent swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 05m 37s
Comments:

I took my time. I brought a bucket to sit and take off my suit. I was not aware that the wetsuit strippers assisted with the total removal of the suit. I had them lower by arms only. I had no trouble with the suit as I had placed body glide on my lower legs to assist. I rolled up my socks prior to the race. This helped put them on just not correctly. I had to take off one of my socks because I put it on backwards. Ugh! very minor issue.

I can do this a lot faster. I wanted to kind of take my time to get my bearings and relax a bit before the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 48s
  • 29.2 miles
  • 16.56 mile/hr
Comments:

Another PR. I have not biked this far. I felt pretty good. I improved my gear changing greatly since Nathan's. I think I found myself only once in the wrong gear. I also did well on the hill under the Mill Ave bridge. I was able to spin right up. I saw Ken and Jen on the bike course. Jen flew by like I was standing still with not so much as a hello :)..I am pleased with this portion. There were times when I felt really strong and others where I simply took it easy for a minute. I dealt with a runny nose for the bike course. Is this normal after the swim? I am thankful to not have gotten a flat or other mechanical issues. Ken told me about a wreck on Ash by the railroad bridge. Two people locked handlebars. Yikes! I saw plenty of folks walking their bike in off of the course. Oh yeah! I had my wife and daughter out there cheering me on the bike course. I am grateful that they are willing to spend some serious time watching all of the bikes go by looking for me. I saw them every time.

I think I can do better with some more training. I also need to put my new seat on the bike. Let's just say when I was in the aero position that I was not as comfortable as I could be.
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

You know every race has some learning points. I thought I would unclick my shoes and run in the shoes to transition. I did it too soon and struggled a bit to ride the last 25 yards to dismount. oh well. Next time I'll try to ride on top of the shoes. This was a little trick as the bike finish is in a tight area. I had a little trouble racking the bike. Transition went well. I sat down to change shoes, get a drink and catch a breath. Visor check, sunglasses check.

Just more practice on mount and dismount of bike.
Run
  • 1h 27m 49s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 13m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

It was HOT! I was hoping that it would heat up a little later in the day. Anyhoo, I took plenty of walk breaks during the run. I was trying to keep my HR down to a reasonable level. I would run and it would climb to 170-185. I would walk a bit unitl it lowered to 155-160. I have to admit I was hot and tired as this point so I sacrificed time to have a little more enjoyable run. I saw Tanya and Josh on their bikes and Jerry on the run course. Thankfully, I was running each time. The map for the run course did not do it justice. I thought I was running to the Pima Indian reservation at one point. I should have known something was up when Jeff mentioned during the athletes meeting about running under the loop 202. I recall thinking "no we don't." Well yes we did. I noticed several people wearing Ipods. I wonder if they were caught. The course strayed onto the loose gravel and rocks at the park just before the finish. I thought this was unnecessary.

I am a better runner than the time shows. I have come to the belief that my Asthma medication kicks up my HR. I am pretty fit now and there is no other explaination that I can think of. I'll ask the Doc next time I see him.

I would like to run in cooler weather next time
Post race
Warm down:

Boy was I glad to see the finish line. I saw Jerry and Ken and Dawn (Ken's Wife) I got a few beverages to drink and tried to eat a rock hard banana. Pizza was nowhere to be found when I crossed. Drank some water and walked for a minute. Signed up for a massage followed by a stretch. I waved hi to Chris but did not get a chance to talk to him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and I believe my lung capacity resulting from my lifelong Asthma. Lack of proper training

Event comments:

I was very pleased with the race. Despite the miscommunication regarding the bike course and swim caps I really enjoyed this race. This is only my third triathlon and first at this distance. It was quite a challenge and feel that I earned my medal big time. I would love to be faster and hopefull some day I will. It was great to see all of my ESCKTC members out there. I missed the award ceremony and buffet. Congratulations to all that competed.

Last updated: 2007-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
32:15:00 | 1000 meters | 3h 13m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/593
Performance: Average
Suit: Yep
Course: Tempe Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:37
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:45:48 | 29.2 miles | 16.56 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Various streets around Tempe Town Lake. Lots of turns and hairpin turns due to city limits.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:27:49 | 06.55 miles | 13m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: mostly flat concrete sidewalk that surrounds Tempe Town Lake
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-29 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Soma Quarterman Triathlon

2007-10-29 7:32 PM
in reply to: #1028981

Pro
AZ
Subject: RE: Soma Quarterman Triathlon
Nice job Rick.  I have a runny nose on the bike too. It's totally Tempe Town Lake. Never happens to me after any other swim.  Great job on finishing your first Quarter distance Tri!
2007-10-29 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1029028

User image

Expert
Arizona
Great job Rick! Sorry I didn't see you on the run.

As for runny nose, I think my greatest challenge and greatest victory was with the 10's if not more snot rockets I blew on the bike and run, I was always careful not to injure my fellow competitors. Every time I do an OWS I feel like I have "swamp head" from the swim.

Oh, and one day we can talk about lung capacity. Trust me, you have more.

-Jot
2007-10-29 10:52 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-30 7:35 AM

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Great job Rick! Setting PRs on your swim and distance is awesome. Look forward to seeing you at more races!
2007-10-30 11:11 AM

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Congratulations and great job - it was tough out there on Sunday!

2007-10-30 11:21 AM

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
You rocked the race!  Great job Rick, and we always have next year to run the Pink Croc guy down! 
2007-10-30 3:58 PM

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Great Job out there. It was some tough conditions. Congrats on completing the Quarter distance.
2007-10-30 4:02 PM

Master

Great job at a tough race Rick!!! Wish I could have caught up with you. With 1900 people doing the race, I was lucky to have found anybody at all!

You did awesome!!! 

2007-10-30 9:20 PM

Regular
Phoenix, AZ
Great race Rick and it was nice to meet you also. That out and back to the 202 was a killer. It's awesome that triathlon is helping you overcome your asthma. Keep it up !
2007-11-01 6:14 PM

Elite
Mesa, AZ
I didn't say HI on the bike? You should have yelled at me! SORRY!!! I love seeing people I know on the bike and ALWAYS stop to chat, wonder how I missed you! I always get snotty too, its the head pointed down thing and as much as it repulses me I have to do the whole snot rocket thing. YUCK!

GREAT JOB on all the PR's. We all had slower runs than we are capable of due to the heat. But what matters is that we FINISHED! You are doing great increasing all of your distances! WOO HOO! I'll see you at the HIM next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Quarterman Triathlon Rss Feed