Littleton, Colorado
United States
Colorado Masters Running / Racewalking Association
Total Time = 1h 38m 30s
Overall Rank = 89/109
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

It was freezing in my house this morning so I jumped in the shower and let the hot water warm me up. Bagel and banana and out the door. It was quite chilly when the race started but I stuck with my shorts and short sleeve shirt and it ended up being perfect as the weather warmed up a little.
Run
  • 1h 38m 30s
  • 10 miles
  • 09m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Lesson for the day: I thought I had done trail runs because I run along the High Line Canal but ... NO ... dirt roads and heavily traveled well kept paths are not trails. This was miles of crude single track in a wooded area. The person responsible for this course must have found it by making a wrong turn and getting lost. I would still be out there if it wasn't for the little red flags guiding the way. I never took my eyes off the ground. The terrain was uneven and ever changing. There were fallen branches to jump over, loose rocks to balance on, huge roots to step around, and horse manure to dodge (lots of horse manure). I quit worrying about my time around mile 5. I started hoping I would survive without a strain or sprain around mile 6. We were running in sand around mile 8. And last but not least, at mile 8.5, when all the port-a-potties were well behind me, I got hit with urgent GI issues. I held on TIGHT since there was nothing else I could do and suffered through the last mile and a half. It was a blast. I loved it.

Note: GU gel 45 minutes into the run and another one at 1:15, Gatorade Endurance and water.
What would you do differently?:

Sheesh ... I would definitely train on trails. This was a new experience for me and much tougher than running on a dirt path or paved road. I can see where it can make your legs stronger. I think I like it? Yep. I'm going to do more of it. But I'd always want a running partner for this type of training because it would be too easy to get lost or hurt and I wouldn't want to be out there alone.
Post race
Warm down:

The first thing I did was find the potty. Then I walked around and looked for the BT crowd but couldn't find them. It was a small race so where the heck were they hiding. There wasn't anything to snack on except cookies so I stuck with water.

Event comments:

I ran this just as my coach suggested and it worked well. I took the first 3 miles at a slower pace than I thought I should so I could get warmed up. I finally found some kick somewhere on mile 3. I ran miles 4-8 faster. She said 9 and 10 would be tough but just hang in there and I did just that. The last two miles weren't quite as fast as I'd hoped (due to stomach issues) but they were still a decent pace for me.

The Colorado Masters Running Association puts on 12-14 races a year. They are low key without the frills. It sounds like they do a lot of trail runs so I may join in when my schedule allows for it. My goal was to come in somewhere between 1:35-1:45. I had tossed that idea out the window when I realized the course was tougher than I expected so I was thrilled to see 1:38:30 when I hit the finish line. I don't know how many runners were there (or the rankings) but I was first in my age group. I think the overall winner finished in 64 minutes. Unbelieveable.

Last updated: 2007-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:38:30 | 10 miles | 09m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 89/109
Performance:
Course: Trail run. A little bit of dirt road and a lot of single track trails through a wooded area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-10 3:52 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: Chatfield 10 Miler

2007-11-10 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1047205

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Chatfield 10 Miler
Wow--great job on your first 10 miles AND your first trail run. You used to think I was crazy when you would read my blogs about trail runs and look at you now!!!

P.S. The shoes over there to the left--the results of a particularly muddy trail run.

Edited by kmarzano 2007-11-10 4:00 PM
2007-11-11 6:22 PM

User image

Awesome job! Trail running is lots of fun. If you want to start running more but don't want a ton of elevation gain, I'd suggest running out at Bear Creek State Park. I've found a ton of routes out there of different distances and you can mix them up with running on the road and also the bike path so you get to try all the terrain. And, I almost always run out there alone--so far no problems besides the occassional big snake on the trails this summer. Have fun.
2007-11-11 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Yay, AWESOME!!  What a great time you ran, too!  That sounded like a lot of fun.
2007-11-11 7:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats on a great race well executed and hardware

I'd run with you if I lived close by but you probably are to fast for me

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chatfield 10 Miler Rss Feed