General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
TriCalifornia
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 38s
Overall Rank = 178/337
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/28
Pre-race routine:

I went to bed plenty early the night before and could not sleep at all. I was too wired, and I'm too much of a night owl. I didn't worry too much, though, because I know that I can function just fine on very little sleep.

I left the house a few minutes before 6 a.m., although I should've given myself a bit more time because putting the bike rack on the car in the dark was quite the hassle. I would've done it the day before but it was raining. I picked up Annie and Michael and we made it to Treasure Island by 6:20, parked in a far lot and walked to the main event area.

For breakfast I had a peanut butter sandwich, a banana and coffee.
Event warmup:

Mostly I just walked around a lot, exploring the transition area and taking a look at where the swim would've been. I stretched a bit and jumped up and down, but I don't typically warm up much for running or biking, so I wasn't worried.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was canceled due to an oil spill in the bay. I was *super* disappointed when I first heard about it because this was supposed to be my first tri and I had been training for it since early April. The swim's my weakest event and I'd really been looking forward to proving to myself that I could do it. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Swim!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The transition was technically our race start. They had us start in waves as though we were just coming out of the water, so we weren't allowed to wear any bike gear and no shoes or socks. I was kind of embarrassed that I was one of the few women in my group who didn't have painted toenails. Who knew a pedicure was necessary for triathlons?

I was pretty nervous at this point (first race!), but as expected, as soon as they told us to go I felt fine. I panicked a little when I got to my spot and couldn't decide whether or not to sit down and put on my shoes, heh. I did it standing, using my socks to brush off the little bit of dirt and rocks from running barefoot. For some reason they didn't time this transition (they said our time would start as soon as we entered the transition area) so I could have taken my time. As it was, I got out in about the middle of the pack, I think.

If it'd been a real triathlon, I would have practiced this transition, especially taking off the wetsuit. I probably should have practiced anyway, but I was so bummed out about the no-swimming thing that I decided not to bother the day before. I know, lame.
Bike
  • 38m 9s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Wow. I don't even know how to describe how pleasantly surprised I am with this time. I went into this race with an average training pace of maybe 14 mph. Pretty much all of my training was on busy streets with lots of intersections where I had to slow down or stop altogether, so I figured I'd be faster in the race, but not this much faster, and certainly not at the front of the pack (for my age group, anyway)!

(Honestly, it's enough of a shock that I've spent a fair amount of time wondering if there was some kind of mistake. Did I skip a lap? No. Did they screw up the time? No, I had almost the exact same time on my watch.)

So yeah, the bike felt great. I never felt overly tired, although there were moments where I could tell that I was going to be hurting on the run. I'm guessing it helped a lot that I've been training entirely on rough Berkeley roads, because the potholes and cracks and bumps and stuff didn't bother me at all, and I got a kick out of all the turns. I did see quite a few people with flats, and my friends informed me that a woman crashed right before I came around the first lap. About halfway through my first lap a woman passing me yelled out a compliment (I think she said "nice riding"?), and I ended up pacing her for most of the race (careful not to draft, of course). In fact, we passed each other several times, to the point where we were joking about it. On the final lap I suddenly got a little paranoid that I wasn't sure where the turnoff was, so I kept up with the woman just so I'd know where to go. Heh.

On a side note, it was wonderful having so many friends there to cheer me on. They somehow stationed themselves at several points around the course, so it felt like every time I turned a corner someone was yelling my name. It was fun and made me want to push that much harder.

God, nothing. I am thrilled with this time. OK, I suppose I'd consider taking a gel or even a couple bites of a PowerBar before the bike, just so I could have more energy for the run. But really, this felt great.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I felt pretty shaky coming off the bike, more than I usually do during a brick. But I guess that's to be expected with teh pace I was keeping. I did get a kick out of the fact that I finished with several women at the same time, and all of them had bike shoes and had to change. First one out of transition! Ha. I'm pretty sure most of them caught up to me on the run, though.

Nothing. This probably took longer than it should, but I didn't rush things on wobbly legs.
Run
  • 28m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, it was tough coming off the bike. I've practiced bricks, but it still sucked. I was glad to have practiced, though, if only because I knew to expect it and to give myself a half mile or so just to get comfortable. I can't say that I ever felt great on the run, but I'm perfectly happy with this time. Of course, all of the front-runners were well below the 9mm range, but whatever, I'm still new to all this.

Again, I loved having a cheering section during the run. I was feeling like crap on the first lap and it was really nice to have the encouragement.

I'm going to experiment with gels during workouts to see how I tolerate them and if they give me much of a boost. I felt more wiped out on this run than I'd expected, even if it didn't seem to hurt my time much.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so happy to finish! I walked around a bit with my friends, stretched, and drank a lot of water, but that's about it. I might have gotten a little overly excited when a friend informed me that I was 8th in my age group. Of course I wouldn't have done nearly as well if there'd been a swim -- partly because my swim sucks, and partly because I am guessing a lot of the best athletes skipped the race because of the lack of swim (last year there were more than 50 women in my age group). But whatever, I was excited.

After soaking up the atmosphere for about an hour we all headed off to brunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly I'm just new, so I did about as well as possible. Better, actually, with the bike.

Event comments:

My only experiences with triathlons are this one and one I volunteered at a couple months ago. This one definitely seemed better organized than the other one. The organizers handled the last-minute swim cancelation very well and did a good job of keeping everyone excited and motivated, I think.

Overall, it was a really, really great time. I can hardly wait for my first *real* tri next year.

Last updated: 2007-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/337
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:09 | 12.43 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/28
Overall: 166/337
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Three loops with lots of turns.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:39 | 03.11 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/28
Overall: 200/337
Performance: Average
Course: Two laps, simple out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-13 8:25 PM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-11-13 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1052012

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job on your first tri...ahem...du!

I, too, was more than a little bummed about the swim cancellation...thinking somehow it lost some of the the challenge...but the bike and run still put on plenty of hurt!

Glad you had a fast ride through a tricky course.

And don't diminish your finishing time...there were plenty of fast racers there.

Edited by guncollector 2007-11-13 10:17 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed