General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IMAZ road trip..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-19 3:00 PM

User image

Subject: Post IMAZ road trip.....

Greetings Arizonians....... 

So, the thing at work that might have made me miss the whole thing, or have to fly back immediately, or under the best of circumstances had me back in the office by Tuesday following, has cleared (or is in the process of clearing), so now I am entertaining thoughts of a post race road trip, and to spend some quality time with my incredbily supportive wife.

Problem is, I know little about my neighbor Arizona, and places to go, drive times, etc.

One thought is to head to Sedona for a few days of R&R.  Is it really a nice palce?  Too touristy?  wicked expensive?  How long is the drive from Tempe?

Then off to the Grand Canyon.  Certainly doubt I'll be doing any hiking, but I have never seen it from the ground.  Conditions in mid April on the south rim?  Stay for a night or two or make a day trip of it?  How long is the drive from Sedona?

Followed up with maybe an overnight in Vegas.  How long GC to Vegas??

Or, is there somewhere else I should look at going?

2007-11-19 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1060922

User image

Elite
the desert
Subject: RE: Post IMAZ road trip.....

Sedona is nice - - it can be touristy, but it's still worth it if you haven't been. I personally like the Enchantment Resort (it's out of town and has nothing near it).  Pretty good spa too. Depending on traffic, you could make Tempe to Sedona in 2 to 2.5 hours.

It's probably another 2 hours from Sedona to the Canyon.  I'd say it would still be cold, but I live in Phoenix.  I think the highs are in the 60s then, with lows around 40 or so. I'm sure you could probably find this info online somewhere.

No idea about the time to Vegas - - I'd guess 4 or 5 hours.

2007-11-19 5:56 PM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
SEDONA!!!!!!!

There are a BILLION affordable B&B's there and I think that is the best experience by far. Although Enchantment is VERY nice as well as L'Auberge if you are looking for more "resorty."

Grand Canyon is okay - guess its one of those things you gotta do at some point. Plan to spend a little time in Flagstaff if you can, that place is awesome.

Hate Vegas so can't give recs there!

AZ is fantastic and will be beautiful in April. Hope to meet you at IMAZ!
2007-11-19 6:24 PM

User image

Thank for the info.  I'll have to see what my wife wants to do, we're not really resort people, we like "interesting" places.  Although post IM I think a resort sounds not too bad.

Agree on Vegas, I live 4 hours by car and get there once every 3 years, that's about all I can take, but I figure it's likely on the way home.  Better there than Primm.......

2007-11-19 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
I did IMAZ this year and the next day my husband and I headed to Sedona ( a couple of hours drive time). We spent several days there relaxing, taking day hikes, recovering. It was beautiful and very restorative. We headed to the Grand Canyon for the weekend (about 2-1/2 hours drive). We spent one night on the South rim then hiked down to the River the next morning. We spent 2 nights at Phantom Ranch, though I skipped the normal day hikes for the day between as we usually do and just hung out at the Ranch and did some more recovery. We hiked back to the South rim the next day and then spent another night on the rim before driving back to Texas. The Grand Canyon is beyond description and you have to get in there and hike it to truly appreciate it. I've hiked quite a few times in April and the weather can be pretty unpredictable. I've hiked in snow, sleet and pouring rain and I've hiked in perfect weather, but it's all amazing and wonderful. More info in my blog...just click on the "hiking" tag (posts by subject to the left) and you'll get my posts (with photos) from the last few years.
2007-11-20 11:38 AM

User image

Excellent, thank you Katherine, exactly what I had in mind (although perhaps without the hike into the canyon a few days after IM.... yeah, pretty crazy.....)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post IMAZ road trip..... Rss Feed