General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockland Road Runner's 5 mile Turkey Trot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rockland Road Runner's 5 mile Turkey Trot - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Congers, New York
United States
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 20s
Overall Rank = 158/1457
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Love the local race. Picked up my friend 45 minutes before the start.
Surprisingly, there was a back-up getting into the parking lot. No biggie, still had time to warm-up
Event warmup:

jog from registration to the start line
Run
  • 36m 22s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Started at the very front. I wanted to push it and see what happened (crazy 35 minute goal). The uber fast guys, including my friend, left me behind right away. 6:46 first mile which included the hill. HR zoomimg and heavy breathing too. Look down, everything is still working, surprise! Still getting passed though, WTF? Where's the holiday spirit? ;)

13:52 at mile 2. Still under 7 min pace, who knew? Downhill then flat to mile 3 - 20:50. OMG still sub 7 pace! But man, this hurts! Are you supposed to be in pain on Thanksgiving? Slow down! Um, it still hurts. Well then, suffer. At least it's flat. Mile 4 - 28:54. Ahh, an 8 minute mile. Why does it hurt as much as a 7 minute mile? A lot of people passing me now. Here comes a 14 year old. A WHAT?!?! Pick up the pace old man. You are not going to let HIM pass you. Are you? Digging deep to pass a 14 year old, Damn! Thoughts of tripping him but I gave in to the Holiday Spirit. I put on the 43 year old afterburners and showed him how it's done! 7:26 last mile. Thanks kid ;) beat him by 6 seconds :0
Didn't hit my goal but still a PB and I had a blast!
What would you do differently?:

Actually train for 7 minute miles.
Post race
Warm down:

making the stuffing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a 6:46 first mile!

Event comments:

Love this race. It keeps getting bigger and bigger but that's o.k. Most participants bring food for the local pantry, it's run in memory of the troops, proceeds go to local charities and I get to eat extra pie! No doubt, I'll continue to do this race until they spoon feed me my turkey!

Last updated: 2007-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:22 | 05 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1457
Performance: Good
Course: First mile has the only hill. Then rollers. Miles 3-5 flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-23 9:30 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Rockland Road Runner's 5 mile Turkey Trot

2007-11-23 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1065832

User image

Elite
Reston VA
Subject: RE: Rockland Road Runner's 5 mile Turkey Trot
Ok - that was one of the funniest RRs I have read in awhile. I am glad that, like me, you were full of holiday spirit... And you are mighty fast! Schweet! PBs are awesome!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockland Road Runner's 5 mile Turkey Trot Rss Feed