United States
MultiRace
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m
Overall Rank = 285/650
Age Group = Male 30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/63
Pre-race routine:

Had an early breakfast, marked my 666 (bib number) once again and drove off to the race. This was going to be my first race as a married man, and I was hoping that even if I didn't meet my goals my wife wouldn't pass me.

As I was coming from the transition area, a very serious-looking race official stops me. I start thinking that the race hasn't even started I'm in trouble (guilty conscience).

But it turns out that it was BT's foolproof saying "hi"!!!
Event warmup:

Running late from the long line to use the restroom (never got to take care of business, sadly) and tried to put on my ill-fitting wetsuit, which I had used only once before for a quarter of an hour.
Swim
  • 47m 7s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Trying to find answers. I've never been better prepared leading up to a swim, but I've never swum at such slow pace in a race situation--even when doing the full iron distance.

Maybe the wetsuit was restrictive? I don't know. I realized I was swimming with people whose form was not the greatest. I was even having trouble passing the breast-strokers.

I completed lap 1 in 24 mins. I just thought I'd push it a bit more, but not too much 'cause maybe the course was long. I finished lap 2 in 23 mins.

The course was not long; I just can't find answers to such poor performance. I was expecting to complete the swim in 37-40 mins!
What would you do differently?:

Don't know. RPE was high, so I didn't feel like I was just floating around. Need to figure this one out.
Transition 1
  • 04m 37s
Comments:

This was a long distance to cover to TA.

Once there, I did OK getting onto my triple-chainring, women-specific-design, turquoise, rented bike with reflectors!

Nothing really.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 5s
  • 90.12 kms
  • 31.06 km/hr
Comments:

Out to the bike and I started hammering, maybe because of the disappointing swim. I checked my HR and was in zone 4. My plan was to stay in the bottom of zone 2 for the first half. So I immediately slowed down.

This is the flattest course I've ever ridden! Very little wind, also. Wow, people really slow down when cornering...almost crashed into other riders, twice while cornering.

Saw people drafting more than I expected.

Passed 45km in approx. 1.5 hrs. then picked it up slightly into the high end of zone 2.

Rode a little harder toward the end (low zone 3) and completed the second half in 1:24. Beat my estimated time by approx. 10 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Coming into transition, the dismount area seemed a bit crowded. Got kicked hard in the hand as I dismounted, which was probably my own fault.

Someone shouted "Go Felix"; I later found out it was Mimi and Cari!

Dropped my pump as I was running toward the bike rack. Biggest TA I've ever seen.

Nothing much.
Run
  • 2h 06m 44s
  • 21.08 kms
  • 06m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Beautiful day and place for a run. Was glad that the course had some trail-like parts. Passing the zoo was also a blast.

I did the first lap in 157-160 HR range. Tried to pick it up in the second lap, but got stuck there. Pace never fell off, but didn't really pick up either.

I wanted to go somewhere between 2:05 to 2:10, but knew I could go under 2hrs if I had an excellent day. That didn't happen, but I'm happy with this run. Absolutely loved the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my Mom, Sister and Nephews at the finish line. Waited for Mayde, who came in at 6:15 (a PB!)

Then had the best three beers of my life as a married man, compliments of Mimi. Had fun chatting with Mimi, Cari and foolproof (who stopped by for a few secs).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training was basically an afterthought for this race as our main focus was getting all the wedding stuff ready (we got married a week earlier).

The taper and, specially, nutrition leading up to the race were a disaster, the exact opposite of what an athlete would want to do.

But still, the race was fun and I reached my goal of going sub-6hrs. It was a good way to start off our honeymoon.

Will someone explain to me what might have happened on the swim?

Event comments:

My first-ever MTB race was held by these people in 2001 or 2002. They've come a long way. This was a very well-organized race.

Nice swim area, easy bike course, outstanding run course!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:07 | 1931 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/650
Performance: Bad
Lap 1 24:07 Lap 2 23:00
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 04:37
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:54:05 | 90.12 kms | 31.06 km/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Flatter than a pancake!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:06:44 | 21.08 kms | 06m 01s  min/km
Course: Gorgeous run course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-30 10:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon

2007-11-30 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1076240

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon
Way to go Felix!  Sounds like a great venue and a great race for you.  Congrats on a great time.
2007-12-01 2:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Hot bike

Unfortunately no suggestions for the swim, but you still went sub 6!!!
Great race Felix, even with all the (fun) distractions leading up to it.
2007-12-01 7:18 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

Ummm ... now you've got me wondering ... what should I have written you up for?    Did I really look that serious?  ;p

GREAT to meet you and Mayde!  Congrats on the wedding and a fabulous race despite the swim and the too cool for school bike.  Let me know when you're in town next and we'll try and hook you up with some different wheels! 

Cheers to a long and happy marriage/race career!

2007-12-01 8:16 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race, need more pictures of your new bike.
2007-12-01 8:34 AM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA

Not the greatest conditions for a race but it sounds like you had fun! I love the 666 and the reflectors on the bike. That is too funny!!!

Congrats on the race!!! 

2007-12-01 6:14 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
That's the most awesome race number ever. Well done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon Rss Feed