JB Sports
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 57s
Overall Rank = 782/1286
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 77/166
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 8:30am or so, after hitting snooze a few times. Had a cup of coffee, a big bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios. Around 9:20, we headed out to walk to the start. We kind of walked and jogged to warm up, but I didn't want to overexert myself so it was very very easy.

When we got there, the race was delayed because there were so many race-day registrations.

We ran into DMW and her man Steve, chatted for a bit. BEST part of the day (or close to it), a moment after we run into each other and say hello, DMW asks, "Hey, what's steve's race number in binary?" (It's 1001). I say it's 9. Glad to be of service ;).
Event warmup:

Since they ended up starting at 10:20, there was plenty of time to walk around and jog a bit more. With about 8 minutes to go, I headed to the start line and squeezed in around 6-7 people back.

Run
  • 27m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Totally in the zone the whole time. I didn't really notice anything around me the whole race, I was completely focused the whole time. I never saw anything more than 3 feet ahead of me, I stared at the ground from start to finish. Somehow that works for me, helps me focus and stay in the zone.

Anyway, the plan was to go comfortably hard in mile 1, want to stop by end of mile 2, and ignore pain in the last 1.1.

I could not believe I hit 8:56 in mile 1, so I just wanted to hold it. Felt good at that point and I'd been breathing 4 steps out, 2 steps in. At mile 2, I felt like I could stop, but I didn't WANT to stop, so maybe I could have gone a little harder. But by this time I was breathing 3 in/3 out. Funny story, I was so amazed at my performance thus far that I started imagining crossing the line sub-28, and I actually started to tear up with happiness. Ridiculous? Yes. But I just hadn't been able to fathom doing that, and thinking it was possible made me so happy, in a weird way. But then, I thought, "silly, you haven't even done it yet, just keep running."

The last mile I was working pretty hard, breathing 2 in 2 out. I focused either on breathing or repeating "ignore pain" in my head, or "just keep running." Tom caught me with maybe a quarter mile to go, and said, "hey baby!" and came alongside me, but i just glanced at him and literally waved him off. i felt guilty but i knew he'd break my zone. He told me later that it didn't seem like I was working hard enough, like I didn't seem like I was dying. But I was working pretty hard - and my physiology is such that I can go long pretty hard, but I can't really kick it up harder. I've been aware of this since I ran my first mile for gym in 6th grade, it's just me. I guess I need to work on speed spurts (there's a section about that in this month's Runners World).

I was running with a girl for maybe the last half mile, and she seemed to be cruising. I couldn't pass her, and she wasn't passing me...until maybe 100 yards to go, and she just left me in the dust. I really wanted to keep up with her, but like I said, I dont' have spurts, even if I didn't seem to be at max. But I could have gone on longer. Sigh.

When I crossed the line, I saw it had just passed 28:00, and I was confused for a second because I thought I had been going for 27, and was like, I slowed down a whole minute in the last mile???? But then, I realized that no, I was going for 28 - and I had done it!!! Watch time 27:57. WOOOOOOOOOOO!

I felt pretty good immediately afterwards, no feelings of dying.
What would you do differently?:

Not much...I'm super pumped to keep training and get faster from this successful day.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Ooops.

But post race food = good. Two beers (and not just like Bud or anything, it was local brewpub beer - and it was good). Plus a few donut holes, a slice of pizza, and a flatbread cheese sandwich. Excellent. Oh yeah, and 2 shots of hot chocolate.

Ran into DMW and Steve again, chatted with them some more - but it was cold!! They both ran great races. It was fun to see them, we talked about the Romantic Niantic and how they're going to school us in Feb. Heh :).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just need to keep training, I'll get faster.

Event comments:

This is a fun race, lots of people, flat and fast, and easy for us to get to since it's local. Cheap too. Post-race food and beer is excellent excellent, which is key for me too :). So, I'd do this race every year.

Oh yeah, they had mile markers and people calling out times when you crossed, so you had a good gauge of your performance, which was nice.

No drink stations, but that's fine since it's so short and it's cold - very little risk of dehydration.

Last updated: 2007-09-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:57 | 03.11 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 77/166
Overall: 782/1286
Performance: Good
AHR: 175, MHR: 186 According to my old zones. Z1: 29s Z2: 2:03 Z3: 4:28 Z4: 7:51 Z5: 13:06 I used this race as an LT test, so I started the first mile going harder than all my training runs, maybe RPE 6 or so. Mile 1: 8:56, AHR 165, MHR 177 Mile 2: 9:05 (No HR data, cuz I didn't press lap) Mile 3.1: 9:56 AHR over the last 2 miles (19:01) AHR 180, so that's my LT. Maxed out at 186. I checked my samples and I hit 186 only briefly right at the very end.
Course: Flat and easy. A loop around downtown New Haven.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-09 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: Christopher Martin's 5K road race

2007-12-09 11:13 PM
in reply to: #1091786

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Christopher Martin's 5K road race
great race honey!! i knew you could do it you're awesome!
2007-12-10 4:57 PM
in reply to: #1091786

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: RE: Christopher Martin's 5K road race
Congrats,
It feels great to hit a goal.  Just keep working and you will do more.  Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Christopher Martin's 5K road race Rss Feed