View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grapevine, Texas
United States
Total Time = 48h 00m
Overall Rank = 16/24
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had a really crappy night sleep. I was doing last minute things and lost track of time. I ended up crashing on the couch. 5:30 AM came fast. We loaded the last little bit of stuff and headed out the door. On the way we jammed to some upbeat music and ate McDonalds sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit...and some lots of water and Powerade.

Once there, we picked up our packets and set up our chairs and overhead cover.
Event warmup:

Walked to the starting line....wondering why the hell I registered for this thing again.. lol
Run
  • 48h 00m
  • 88.25 miles
  • 32m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Before I start the report, I want to thank all of those on BT that inspired me, came to the race, and brought me things throughout the weekend.. Thanks.. It means a lot..

Well, the training over the past year really helped. I may have not gone as far as I would have liked, but I went 2.6 times further than I did last year. I learned quite a bit, when I had my butt handed to me last year. Learning from that and dropping quite a bit of weight helped out alot.

A couple of things I did this year: Better shoes - Brooks Adrenaline 1 size larger, Injinji socks, pre-taping my toes and parts of my feet. And of course, I trained with these and didn't change up at the end, like I did last year. (yes..it was dumb)

At 9AM, we started. My brother and I started off slow and stayed that way the whole time. ;) I felt great all day, even though the cold wind off the lake, pretty much sucked. The weather really wasn't that good until later in the night.

As I came in on one my loops, Friday night, I saw Steve and Marcy...They brought me a gift. McDonalds! Ok.. here is the story.. Last year, my brother brought me a 99 cent double cheeseburger, late in the night. That was the best thing I had ever had. Knowing what I knew then, I would have paid 200.00 for that burger. lol.. Well, Steve and Marcy, remembered this an brought me two... Good stuff.. Even if I could only do part of one. (Thanks again Guys). They headed out, but said they would ride back in the morning for the 10k. They asked what they could bring... I told them by that point, I would probably be pretty tired, so some Meth would be good. lol..

I headed back out for some more loops... As the night went on, my quads were pretty much locked up. I had been drinking at every station (1 mile). I was rotating water and endurox every loop. I did occasionally have a gel. I didn't have much of a plan, since I had not been this long. I was pretty much testing myself for next year. ;) I just wanted to be taking in fluids every loop. For food, I had peanutbutter and honey sandwiches, fruit, and whatever else looked good at the time..since I know that it could change on me, quick. During the nights, I had warm chicken and rice soup and spaghetti (very light sauce, no meat).---Ok..back to my quads locking up. After finishing a loop, I talked with the doc out there. She helped me stretch and said that one of the muscles on the outside of my left leg (don't remember what she called it) was almost completly fatigued.. I looked at her and said " You think?" lol..She helped me stretch some more and told me to take this cranberry supplement. Then she told me to go rest for a bit to let it do its work. I washed it down and headed to lay down. (beginning of big mistake 1).

I took off my shoes and examined my feet. I had changed socks at mile 30 and see what had changed since then...Still looking good.. maybe only a couple of blisters. I lay down to rest, but I couldn't find my phone. This has my alarm clock on it. Well..I am only going to rest a little bit..right? nope... I crashed...I did finally wake up when my phone went off at last time I had it set. I found it under one of my bags. I looked at and thought..damn.. oh well, all I could do is get moving.

I put on the shoes and off I went..Sun would be up in a little bit, but I could still get in a few more laps before the other events start. On my way back in, I see this guy with a beard, holding a Venti White Chocolate Mocha....haha.. yup. It was Aaron, bring me a fix. We chatted for a second...well.. it went more like this, Aaron: "Holy Crap..that's David Goggins".."He's a freaking machine!" .. Me: "Yup..He has had that same look, lap after lap for the past 100+ miles". He then went off to talk with someone else he knew. That it is when I saw my favorite runner girl.. SYDNEY!. She stopped in to say hi on her way to do a Marathon in OK. Her and Aaron did part of a lap with me, wished me luck and went on their way. (Thanks guys...when you're out there for a while it is good to see people you know.)

I did some more miles before the other events started. I came trotting to the start area and saw Steve and Marcy who were about to PR on their 10k, after riding their bikes there. The other events started and the course got crowded, fast! When I crossed this time, I saw David, talking to the Doc and he looked like he was in pain. I cruised over to check it out. He had jacked his ITB. I am pretty sure the doc used that term. They wouldn't let him transfer his 135mi over to the 24 hour race, so he said he wasn't going to stop. I wouldn't expect him to. 190+ lbs SEAL that has been handing a lot of the smaller Ultra Runners their asses. 3rd at Badwater this year...first tri is the Ultraman, where he gets second on a rented bike after breaking his...Anyway, he slowed down some over the next 24 and even slept some...and came in at 203 mi.haha...Later on that evening, I got a visit from KSH and GAARRYY. Thanks again guys for helping to break up some of the time.

I continued on and this pretty much repeated until I layed down to rest again, later that night. At that point I was only about 70 or so miles and was mentally struggling. I layed down and fell asleep..trying to decide if I was going to get back out there. At 240+ lbs, this crap wears on you. Again, another extended nap that didn't help my overall mileage, but I got up. I slipped on my shoes in the dark, called myself a puss a few times and headed out.

As the sun came up, I started looking around at those that were left...Everyone was very encouraging to each other. Two runners kept flying past everyone. They would later on win the thing. Connie Gardner and Akos Konya (if you don't know either one of them, Google their names). It was about that time that I was heading into the turn around, looked down, and started laughing. I couldn't stop. I had got back out on the course after my rest with no shorts! Just kidding.. just wanted see if anyone has actually read all of this. ;) But, I did have on a pair of New Brooks..or Brooks Balance.. haha. I had several pairs of shoes with me and I just happened to select one of each as I was waking up. Out freaking standing! That is how I finished the race. Why the hell not!

The last hour they close the course to a quarter mile loop. This was very cool time. All the support and family were around the course cheering everyone on. Everyone was pretty much cheering on Connie, getting out of her way, and some other fast runners were trying to pace her. She ended up setting the Womens National 24 Hour Record. I believe it was 145.2 miles. And this is after I saw her throwing up the night before (I am pretty sure it was her). And she had won a 100 miler a couple of weeks before!

It was finally over. I didn't get as far as I had wanted, but I kicked the crap out of last years mileage, stuck with it, learned more for next year, and had a great time! And I didn't get full body cramps after nostril slinging spaghetti, like I did last year! lol
What would you do differently?:

Not rest as much. Have a better nutrition plan.
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my brother and thanked him for doing this with me. Headed over to talk with David and his wife. While he was being interviewed, I talked with his wife about him doing the Western States, Badwater, and Ultraman... interesting stuff. We ended up having some laughs over my shoes and headed to get something to eat and get the awards. My brother and I gathered our stuff, told everyone bye, and hobbled to the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, nutrition, ability, too much rest.. lol I could go on.

Event comments:

This year was much better than last year. The volunteers were great! They were very motivational and very helpful. Food throughout the race was great and the food after was Awesome. It is cool to see volunteers wearing Western States Belt Buckles and have Badwater tattoos... they had some hardcore people out there..

The 24 / 48 racers got Ultracentric Race Mugs, hooded sweatshirts, and personalized granite plaques, lazer engraved with our names and distances...very cool..

PICS

A couple of weeks later, I hung out with some cool BT'rs and did Sunmart 50k Trail Run. That RR is coming up soon! ;)

Last updated: 2007-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
48:00:00 | 88.25 miles | 32m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 16/24
Performance: Good
Course: 2 mile loop at Lake Grapevine. It is paved but uneven and rough. Although, it was in much better shape this year. And they removed that dang hill at the very back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-12-10 11:02 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: UltraCentric

2007-12-11 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1094180

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: UltraCentric
Great race and improvement over last year.
2007-12-11 8:47 AM

User image

Planet earth

SO glad we could be out there for you man!  You are such an inspiration to me; keep on keepin' on

2007-12-11 8:47 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-11 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1094629

Master
Sachse
JeepFleeb - 2007-12-11 8:47 AM

How many times do you think you can do this race and double your total mileage from the previous year?

Haha. I am going to find out !

Kenny
2007-12-11 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1094629

Champion
the colony texas

JeepFleeb - 2007-12-11 8:47 AM How many times do you think you can do this race and double your total mileage from the previous year?

That's some great motivation right up there.. Glad I could atempt to crack some jokes with ya and break up the routine a bit.. 

glad you figured out which shoes go together,, I was going to tell you that while I was out talking with you but I figured it was your system.....ok pure BS on that one

2007-12-11 10:52 AM

Veteran
Earth
"I told them by that point, I would probably be pretty tired, so some Meth would be good"  HAHA, too funny!  What a kick race man, seriously impressive stuff.  Next year you can pace Goggins   Great job Kenny, keep up the great work!
2007-12-11 11:01 AM

Champion
Michigan
You kick .  I dig you.
2007-12-11 12:14 PM

Master
Keller Tx

Liquid Meth....yum

Great job Kenny.  Glad we could make it a little easier for you for the short times we were there

2007-12-11 12:38 PM

Expert
Longview, TX
Man, incredible performance!  This sounds like a blast.  Best of luck next year.
2007-12-13 1:39 AM

Plano, Tx

Congrats man!
48hrs is no joke.
I would like to think i could do that, but I seriously doubt it.
It was nice meeting you last weekend!
Congrats on the 50K too!

2007-12-13 3:51 AM

Australia
48 hours!! Insane!! Well done - that must have been so tough.!
2007-12-13 9:39 AM

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Great race, Kenny.  I've done about 10 hours at Grasslands this year.  I can't imagine doing 48.  As you said, after a point, it's all mental, and you're obviously quite strong there!
2007-12-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1099599

Master
Sachse
dgillen - 2007-12-13 9:39 AM

Great race, Kenny.  I've done about 10 hours at Grasslands this year.  I can't imagine doing 48.  As you said, after a point, it's all mental, and you're obviously quite strong there!

Haha.. thanks.. That is actually what Ten9T6 (1096) means.. only mental.. in a different way.. lol....(they're coming to take me away..haha)

Kenny
2007-12-17 9:00 AM

Pro
Texas
Nicely done man, that's a hell of an improvement.
2007-12-17 10:27 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job Kenny!

I'm very impressed and you certainly improved by leaps and bounds from 2006!

Oh yea... and I see how it is... a person has to bring you food to get more than just an honorable mention.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UltraCentric Rss Feed