General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Wellstone
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 23s
Overall Rank = 218/5172
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 31/369
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:15. Showered to wake up and got dressed while munching my normal Oatmeal Raisin Clif bar. We grabbed our dry clothes bag and hit the road at 5:45. Not wanting to mess with parking downtown, we parked at the Mockingbird station and caught the train. There were several runners on with us. We swapped some stories and had some laughs. The best laugh was when a girl was eating a banana and we started talking about the Runner's World article that said pre-race bananas caused cramping and explosive diarhea in long distance races. She believed us for about .00001 seconds.

Made our way in the AAC and immediately got in the line for the bathroom. I figured I'd need to go again later, but might as well go with a short line. We found the designated BT meetup spot. Eventually Craig, Aaron, Jacob, Steve, and Marcy appeared.

One more trip to the bathroom for good measure 30 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching inside, then walked to the start. Wow, it was crowded. Shannon headed to the portajohn, so that was the last I saw of her till she finished. Craig and I moseyed to the starting line. Turned on Mr Turtle to get the signal. Uh oh. He shut off. Turned him on again. And again. And again. No dice. Didn't panic. I just started laughing. This was going to be interesting. I wasn't planning on doing much with HR, but I didn't have any way to know what my time was going to be. Hmm.

Saw Steve and Marcy right before I made it to the actual starting line. Wished them luck, then it was go time.
Run
  • 1h 36m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The first 3 miles or so were the typical chaos. I wish they could do something about walkers. I have no problem with people walking a race. I do, however, have a problem with someone walking the race that starts at or near the front and stays in the middle of the road.

Not having anything to go by, I was just running by feel. I kept it pretty comfortable early. Not that I could have gone much faster anyway. Passed a lot of people in Dorothy shirts, including Mike. Spoke a few words to him as I passed.

I hit the 5 mile mark and took a gel and a swig of water. Managed to drink it without spilling the whole thing on my shoe. Feeling pretty good, I increased the pace a little bit. Laughed at all the guys who were making beelines for the treeline. When you gotta go, you gotta go.

Around mile 5 I thought I saw Aaron half a mile ahead. I thought it would be fun to catch him. So I dropped the hammer and caught him a few minutes later. Sadly, it wasn't him. And dropping the hammer for a mile had hurt. Would hurt more later. Oh well.

Crossed over 75 and heard my name called from behind. I had just passed Tommy. Wished him luck and kept moving. That's when the rain hit for a few minutes. I loved it. I was fully prepared to run the rest of the race in the rain, so I let out a yell. Then I heard my name from a spectator. I easily recognized John's voice. Posed for a quick photo and continued on. The rain stopped soon after that.

Took a hard left at the Granada where a live band was playing. I can't even remember the song now, but I sang along and air guitared when I went by.

At mile 8 the road got really slick. Had to slow way, way down since there was a hard turnaround. Slowing down stayed with me for a mile or so. I started feeling mile 5's effort here. I was getting slower, but I knew I still had a shot at a new PR if I could have a strong finish.

At 11 miles, with 90% of the skyline ahead of me (the other 10% obscured by fog or low-lying clouds - is there a difference?), I decided to let it loose. I managed to push hard for a mile and a half, then my legs crapped out on me. A few of the people that I had passed earlier passed me right back. Oh well, I figured I had run a good race. I trotted to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

A watch would have been nice.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish chute. Stretched while they took off my chip. Got my finishers medal and visor (wow!), then I got a couple of finishers pics with my Dorothy shirt.

Then over to the beer tent. Mmm...free beer.

Grabbed my dry clothes bag, changed and got warm. After that I walked to the 13 mile mark and cheered on the finishers. Saw Marcy, Steve, Kirk, and Shannon come in.

We went in to the AAC and found everyone. There was plenty of food, but nothing that I wanted. I wanted Freebirds. That happened about an hour later.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having any idea how fast I was going.

Still, I found out later that I ended up with a new PR by a minute and change, so no complaints here.

Event comments:

Excellent course. Good idea to stagger the marathon and half starts and to separate the finishes. I had a blast.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:36:23 | 13.1 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/369
Overall: 218/5172
Performance: Good
Course splits: Miles 1-5: 37:19 (7:28/mile), Miles 5-8: 21:49 (7:16/mile), Miles 8-11: 22:34 (7:31/mile), Miles 11-13.1: 14:41 (6:58/mile)
Course: Mostly flat loop through some real nice areas of downtown Dallas. Several hills, but most of the ups were early and hardly noticeable. Excellent, excellent course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-12-11 10:01 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon

2007-12-11 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1094853

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon
Awesome job!!
2007-12-11 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great job!!! It was good to see you guys again...

Kenny
2007-12-11 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1095509

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great race out there.. I think Aaron hires look alike stand in runners so you waste all your energy to catch up to him only to find out it's not him..... he's sneaky like that
2007-12-12 4:23 AM

User image

Australia
Well done on a new PR! Sounds like you had heaps of fun.
2007-12-12 9:45 AM

User image

Great job Andy - smokin' fast!

2007-12-12 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great race Andy. A new PR and you didn't even know your time! Congratulations!!!
2007-12-12 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Great run Andy!  Congrats on the PR.
2007-12-12 4:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-12-12 8:15 PM

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

Wow...great write up. I am Mikes sister as you can see by my user name ;o). Thanks for honoring Dorothy and wearing her shirt....was great to hear that there were many more out there! Mike said he had 50 shirts made and for the entire race he kept hearing, "there's another Dorothy Strong shirt". I know she was smiling down on you guys. Since her death I have dusted off my bike shoes (used to race bikes - retired five years ago); cleaned the cobwebs from my bike; just went and bought goggles, swim cap and speedo...and have begun training for a triathlon - swimming is going to suck for me. So, wish me luck.

Anyways, just wanted to thank you again for buying and wearing the shirt. Mike has been overwhelmed by the kindness from his tri family! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR BEING THERE FOR HIM! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

His lil Sis

2007-12-17 8:34 PM

Master
Frisco, Texas

Hey speedy.  Nice job.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas White Rock Marathon - Half Marathon Rss Feed