Sub10 Events
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 33m 56s
Overall Rank = 214/288
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 17/20
Pre-race routine:

Catching up on a long overdue race report.

I tried to hydrate well with water and gatorade for a couple of days leading up to the race. Last minute change of plans; we weren't able to stay nearby on Thursday night, as we had arranged, so we drove up on Friday. That left enough time to register, unpack, put the feet up for a few minutes, and go to the carb-load dinner. Our room was close walking distance to the transition area.
Event warmup:

The clock went off at 4:00. Breakfast was cereal and a banana. I got there early, before the advertised transition opening time of 6:00, and the best spots were still already gone. I racked about the same place as last year, got marked and picked up my chip, and then went back to our room for a while to stay warm and rest. Back at the transition area, I wandered around chatting with a few people. I was down by the beach for a bit, swinging my arms to loosen up and stretching a little. They suddenly wanted everyone to go to an unscheduled pre-race meeting just before the race started so everyone was scrambling to get ready a few minutes earlier than expected. I remembered to have a gel before we got in the water.
Swim
  • 39m 56s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

Nice easy swim, minimal contact but I kept veering off course so the distance should probably be greater.

Transition 1
  • 02m 47s
Comments:

Time is estimated since transitions were included in the bike segment.
Bike
  • 2h 59m
  • 90 kms
  • 30.17 km/hr
Comments:

The hills didn't seem as bad this year. I was still getting passed a lot at the start, and on the level sections, but I passed most everyone around me going up the steep hills and going down. Sometimes I was tucked in and coasting down, and still passing people who were pedaling.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Run
  • 2h 50m 15s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 08m 04s  min/km
Comments:

No major complaints on the run. Nothing in particular was hurting, I was staying hydrated and not feeling over heated, but I was just running out of gas and walking a lot on the back half. I'll have to work on that 'wimping out' part. :)

I saw Trudi coming in on her bike when I was already 2 or 3 km into the run, and again about a kilometer back from the turn around point. Knowing how she runs, I told her she could still catch me and with only about 2k to go, she did.

My final time was 6:33:xx, almost 6:34. The anouncer even compared it to my last year's time and pointed out that I had cut off about 24 minutes. :)

Post race
Event comments:

The previous event organizers quit at the end of last season and the current people came together to try to keep the race alive. Some details through the event were a bit disorganized but it was all getting done. There was a lot of enthusiasm and energy, and lots of great volunteers. If they keep doing it, experience will help to polish up the whole show.

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:56 | 1900 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 139/288
Performance:
Suit:
Course: An open box shaped course starting off the end of a pier, with a long leg roughly north, a short bit across to the east, and another longer stretch back south to the beach.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:47
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:59:00 | 90 kms | 30.17 km/hr
Age Group: 11/20
Overall: 140/288
Performance:
Wind:
Course: The bike course followed good roads in a rectangle around the lake, with an out and back leg towards the lake added in to the second side. We started from the southeast corner and traveled clockwise. Lots of rolling terrain with a few steeper hills on the north side and one last big sharp hill partway down the last leg.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:50:15 | 21.1 kms | 08m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 260/288
Performance:
Course: The run course was out and back on residential roads up the east side of the lake, except that halfway up it followed trails around one side of a provincial campground going out and around the other side, the lake side, coming back. The first and last 1.4km were along a pathway in the trees between the public beach and the roadway. From the campground and on, the route was far enough from the lake to include some more hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-12-27 6:01 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman
Catching up on a long overdue race report. :)

Edited by Micawber 2007-12-27 6:02 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvan Lake 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed