Canada
Runners Soul
Total Time = 4h 58m 7s
Overall Rank = 88/110
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/13
Pre-race routine:

Catching up on overdue race reports.

This one was hard to write, partially because I felt so bad by the time I finished the race and partially because it was my own fault.

Run
  • 4h 58m 7s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 07m 04s  min/km
Comments:

There were bands, groups, and solo artists playing all different sorts of music at various points along the route. It was really fun and exciting, but I should have known better. I did know better! I'm ashamed to admit I had a great 1/2 marathon with personal best times to the 5k, 10k, and 1/2 marks. Unfortunately, I then had to finish the second half.

At about mile 15 I was starting to fall off pace. I hadn't even run that fast for short distances in training, and the longer strides and more forcefull recoveries had strained my hip flexors especially on the right. By the time I got down into the river valley I had started walking for longer stretches. The climb out of the river valley was tough. For quite a way on either side of the mile 23 marker, it was pretty much a death march. I was about ready to lay down and never run again.

Somehow the hip flexor strains eased off, or faded into the background, and I was able to run for the last couple of miles. I think the bagpipes at mile 24 helped. Not quite a mile from the end, a guy said we could beat 5 hours if we pushed. At first I let him go, but then decided to try and kept him in sight to the end.

First marathon. Done! :)
What would you do differently?:

Pace myself!!! so I don't go too fast, but train with a little speed once in a while so it's not totally unfamiliar teritory.
Post race

Last updated: 2007-01-05 12:00 AM
Running
04:58:07 | 42.2 kms | 07m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 11/13
Overall: 88/110
Performance: Below average
Course: The course winds through town. Mile 16 to 17 drops into the river valley and it climbs out again for a mile from about mile 20 1/2. Some shallow dips between 24 and 25.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-29 11:46 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Music From the Soul
Catching up on overdue race reports.

It was a good thing I had more events lined up and paid for later in the season or this might have been the last. I got over it though.

Edited by Micawber 2007-12-29 11:46 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Music From the Soul Rss Feed