50 state marathon club
42F / 6C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 21m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Night before we drove to Humble arriving about midnight and went to bed about 12:40 Sleep was very poor I woke up several time thinking 26.2 26.2 26.2, then woke ups several more times thinking it is hot in the room but I could not find the temperature control to change if I had to give an honest guess I will say I slept 2.5 hours finally I gave up at 5:30 and just laid in bed to nearly 6:00 and got up to shower.
Pre-race meal peanut butter and honey on 7 gain bread 1 cup coffee 1 cup water I had a banana but I just could not make myself eat it.

Event warmup:

Patti and the kids drove me to the race start then headed to McDonalds for breakfast First thing I noticed was it is cold I do not have gloves or a hat so I put on what I had tights running shirt and long sleeve shirt I had some difficulty trying to figure out how to put the race number on when I knew I would be taking off the long sleeve at some point I had forgotten to bring my race belt. Finally a lady told me to pin it to my shorts DOH so simple. I meet up with Joe and Bonnie (Free swimming fish and Mis Fish)
Run
  • 5h 21m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Lap 1 We start and it is packed for the first 1mile and it is cold Bonnie takes the lead and sets out pace this is a very nice neiborhood and as we run we discuss the houses and the cold. About a 1.5 miles in there are 2 tunnels that the trail goes under the road the second has a big muddy spot which I jump over and Joes tells me OK I want to see you do that 3 more times I laugh and say ok I’ll do it. About mile 4 bonnie is up ahead of us and Joe is talking about how he and Bonnie have rediscovered each other this last year and just love being with each other so much although it has cut into the training time I pointed out cross training is a good thing too. During the first lap 6.55 miles I was very concerned about my left knee but aside from some slight stiffness it seems to be doing very well but I think I may need to walk to stretch it soon so I pick up the pace and think Bonnie and Joe will catch me in the walking and stretching. I run to my goodie bag and grab the gel bottle the gel will not come out it is too cold I manage just a taste of gel Oh Oh first sign that nutrition may be a problem I had my gel bottle to Jen and ask her to keep it warm for me.
Lap 2 after lap 1’s pace of ____ I decide to try to pick up the pace and see if I can get on pace for my goal time of 4:30 so I press and begin passing people and I pass a lot of then the knee feels good only stretching it out in the water stops. I jump the mud hole clearing it with ease. Stop at a porta potty man what a mess some asshole has wiped crap all over the place I try not to touch anything but I have no doubt I have this will further the nutrition problem. Second lap is done in 1:05 I now have a 10:33 pace just 2 seconds off the 10:31 needed for a 4:30 finish I feel good I take the gel bottle and manage about 1 gel the stuff still won’t come out and due to the porta potty I don’t want to touch the food on the table I start to think this is going to be a problem.
Lap 3 I still feel good the knee is ok and the lower Abs are just starting to hurt I need to hold the lap 2 pace and I will be in great shape for the 4:30 time. I meet Joe and Bonnie they are about a half mile behind me at this point we high five and continue on our way. I reach the mud hole and make the jump squish I did not clear it and I feel the lower abs complain. Mile 15.5 pace is now 10:40 and I am getting tired I start to think I will not make the 4:30 and I have my first full minute walk mile 16.3 pace is now 10:44 and I know I will not make the time I am getting weak so I resort to running and walking some of the people I passed begin to pass me back most I exchange position with over and over on this lap. End of lap 3 I am tired lower abs hurt and the knee is starting to be a problem I retrieve the gu bottle from Jen and take it with me but the stuff still doesn’t want to come out I grab a small sandwich square about a eights of a sandwich with a napkin but that is all I risk I wish there was some had sanitizer but I do not see any.
Lap 4 The walking takes over at this point I am beat I can run about ¼ mile at a time and then walk and I do not even attempt to jump the mud spot just walk around it. About mile 20 a young lady takes a fall in front of me I notice she is the same one I saw running with a bloody knee earlier I stop to help her she has a badly bloody knee both hands are scraped up and a bloody lip after I help her up I try to walk her to the aid station but she is crying and just wants me to let her run on I tell her to walk to the aid station then get patched up. As I pass the next aid station and start around the lake I notice that I can only see one other runner in front of me and a guy that looks like he is taking pictures then the guy taking pictures falls down. By the time I get there the other runner has helped him to a sitting position on the ground but is in bad shape his fore head is all scraped up and blood is running down his face a quick assessment also shows his knee is badly hurt scraped up and knee cap looks deformed we half carry him to a bench where he calls his wife he lives in the neiborhood an was just ot for a walk I run on the other runners says heck he still has 2 laps to go he will sit with the guy. Later I find he was taken out by ambulance with a broken knee cap. Mile 24 what a wonderful sign just 2.6 to go lot of walking now and a lot of pain I meet up with Bonnie and Joe Joes says he is starting to fall apart I tell him he can do it. Last 1.2 I hear footsteps please don’t tell me someone is trying to catch me a look back confirms it tall guy in dark clothes is running well crap if he wants to pass me he will have to work for it I did not fight my way to this point to be passed so I run I stop to take my encouragement sign off the tree but I run to the end and he falls back. Jen meets me and runs in with me the last 100 yards Wow I have finished I can now say I am a marathoner…

What would you do differently?:

Nutrition I did not pactice withthe gel bottle and it cost me I need to do what I have trained to do and not try something new in a race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

In order
1 Nutrition I was spent by mile 16
2. lower abs need a Dr appointment to get this fixed
3. overall condition was marginal for a marathon
4. Knee less of a problum than I thought but still an issue.

Event comments:

Big thanks to My family for coming out to sit in the cold and cheer me in and give me the big green new year’s hat.
Patti for putting up with my long hours training
Richard for driving home so I could recover
Jen for running the end with me and the runner’s car.
And Joe and Bonnie for being my BT marathon buddies.

After I finished the finish area was too crowded with little kids dogs and bikes many of the finishers had to dodge and weave their way in

Last updated: 2007-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
05:21:40 | 26.2 miles | 12m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: mostly flat out and back on running/walking trails. The course was open to the public so in addition to the runners there were bikes dogs and walkers.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-01-02 11:26 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Subject: Texas marathon

2008-01-02 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1128041

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Texas marathon
You did great - especially with your issues you had the last few weeks of training!

You are now ready for a full iron!

Congrats...Bonny
2008-01-02 11:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-02 12:49 PM

Elite
the desert

To echo what others have already said - -you had some major issues to contend with and you still made it through. Great spirit and great job!

You'll go sub 4:30 next time and be able to say you took an hour off your marathon PR!

2008-01-02 4:13 PM

Master
White Oak, Texas
The lower Ab pain I have had the last few months is now explained I have a hernia surgery pending.
2008-01-02 4:15 PM

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Enjoyed the race report. You overcame a lot to do your marathon. Glad your knees did not act up too much.

John

2008-01-03 7:29 AM

Master
Houston

Good job!  With what you have going on, this was an excellent race and once you recover, you will be ready to go again.

Congratulations, Marathon Man!

2008-01-03 10:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-01-03 10:45 AM

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
Wow, Cliff, you whooped Joe and I with a hernia?!  Congrats, great race report BTW, it was good running that first loop with you.  I'm glad you did so well.  We all learn something about ourselves with every race we do.  I hope the surgery goes well, and you're back in the saddle again soon
2008-01-04 12:26 PM

Expert
Longview, TX

Great performance Cliff, especially with injury!  And very cool you were considerate to help people out along the way.

Congrats on a great finish to the year, or beginning of the new! (however you want to look at it)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Texas marathon Rss Feed