Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-08-06 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1365964

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Annapolis Triathlon

Sweet on the HIM.  Get out and ride some hill repeats!!!!!!!!

I HIGHLY recommend a day trip (or weekend) to go out and ride the course.  Single best thing I did for myself last year was do the course 6 times before the race (crashed pretty hard one time, but also learned A LOT that was useful on race day).

2008-08-06 2:39 PM
in reply to: #1585868

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I signed up for Northeast for next weekend.  And we are still talking about Make-A-Wish, but it is the same weekend as my wife's alumnae association meeting at her old college.
2008-08-06 2:42 PM
in reply to: #1585868

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
JoshKaptur - 2008-08-06 3:15 PM

Sweet on the HIM.  Get out and ride some hill repeats!!!!!!!!

I HIGHLY recommend a day trip (or weekend) to go out and ride the course.  Single best thing I did for myself last year was do the course 6 times before the race (crashed pretty hard one time, but also learned A LOT that was useful on race day).

I think I am going to do the SavageMan Olympic..  Sadly I don't live in MD so riding the course ahead of time isn't going to happen.  Any other advise, besides HILLS, HILLS, HILLS?  The true craziness of what I am about to do hasn't sunk in yet.  Is the air really that cold up there, I've heard 70degree water and 38 degree air! At least the town supports these races!

2008-08-06 3:22 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Freak weather last year.  September in Maryland is usually quite warm, sometimes creeping up into the 90's.  You can usually expect 50's in the night/early morning and probably in the lower 80's during the day.

And from the things I read the lake swim was cold.  But at LP the water was around 68 or so, which was actually nice for a wetsuit swim.

2008-08-06 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
From the event website:
ANNAPOLIS TRIATHLON

The Columbia Triathlon Association was hired by the organizers of The Annapolis Triathlon. Below is a letter concerning the event that they would like us to forward to you. Please thoroughly read this email and address any questions to: [email protected]

Dear Athletes,

It is unfortunate that we (the race organizers) are writing this letter to let you know of a decision that has been made regarding the 2008 Annapolis Triathlon. In short, we have received notice that our permit to have the bike portion of the race was denied, and despite our efforts, the County is not convinced that we are going to be able to launch a triathlon event which would be safe for the participants and have minimal impact on County residents. While we are extremely disappointed in this late breaking decision, we (the race organizers) want to take a positive stance, avoid negativity and not place blame while we continue to build on creating great synergy and growth for our sport in Annapolis .

We have been very fortunate to have a number of organizations working diligently to create a race course and event which already was again attracting the attention of triathletes world wide. Ultimately, however, the decision lies in the hands of the Executive offices of the County. The permits for all courses were originally submitted to the County offices on February 10th 2008, as requested. We proceeded to open the race website for registration when were told that everything “looked good” and “we should proceed to work with the Police Chief to work out the details.” As you can imagine, we are surprised by this very late decision and announcement when all indications were that the race would happen approximately one month from now.

We have begun researching alternatives routes, and while the “offer” to revisit the route is in place, we have not yet been able to come to a solution which would address all of the County’s concerns. In addition, we are very concerned that there is not enough time to work out all the details and to plan a safe, agreeable route in the remaining weeks leading up to race day.

We are currently working with several venues to explore the possibility of an Aquathlon (swim/run) on the same day. This event would be the same distances for both the swim and run as the current triathlon, and obviously would not include the bike portion. Due to its scope, this race would not require permitting on County land.

We realize that many of you have trained many hard hours and many have volunteered your time in preparation for this wonderful event. Please know that we will press on with our efforts and passion for triathlon in Annapolis! In the meantime, we are hopeful that you will also press on and will still participate! You may simply roll your current registration from the triathlon to participate in the Annapolis Aquathlon (the fee will be $75, ($65 for Active Military) and $95 for relay). The residual amount of your registration can be either be made as a tax deductable donation to one of several local charities we were planning to work with for the Annapolis Triathlon or can be refunded in full in the form of a check. Full refunds will also be issued to those who choose not to participate.

We can use your help in further determining the scope of an Aquathlon and to get a sense of participation.

If you are interested in participating in the Aquathon, please respond by 5pm August 8th to [email protected]

If you would prefer a full refund, please email [email protected]

If you have further questions concerning the race, please email [email protected]

Out of curiosity, what race will everyone replace this with?

And I still think it sucks.

2008-08-06 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1586602

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Definitely sucks but now I can go to my best friend's bachelor party that weekend (planned after I committed to race) and this actually works out better for me as I am training for the Marine Corp Marathon as well and this will allow me to focus a little more on running.  I was already planning to do North East so that will end my TRI season and I will now be picking up the Fox Run DU in DE on 9/13 to ween myself off of multisport for the season.  I'm coining that my 3-2-1 approach going into the MCM.

2008-08-06 8:40 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

The water temp at deep creek should be very comfortable in september.  We got our first hard frost the night before the race, and the air temp was indeed 38.  We were freezing when we first got on the bikes, but it sure was nice to have temps in the 60's a few hours later.

But I would bank on it being 10-20 degrees warmer this year.  Last year was a fluke - I think in part just to make the innaugural savageman even more savage.

For the OLY, there is really only one nasty climb.  I don't think you need to worry about it nearly as much as if you were doing the HIM (which has tons of nasty climbing).  You had to power up the hills in the HIM, even though it would blow up your legs.  For the OLY, I think your best bet is just to spin up and save it for the run.

2008-08-06 8:44 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-06 9:00 PM

Veteran
Arlington, VA
I just read the email. This sucks, as Annapolis was to be my first Olympic. I've heard it was a great race last year.
2008-08-07 7:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Sorry guys, this sucks. I hope they can get the area to support bringing it back...Annapolis is a great town and a great spot for a tri!

Good luck on finding other races. The good news is there are still plenty of options.

--Chris
2008-08-08 12:52 PM

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I got an email from someone in the Make-A-Wish foundation who said they are about 1/2 full, a little less than 500 slots left. I have to imagine they will see a nice jump from this race being cancelled. Anybody else in with me?

2008-08-13 9:13 AM

New user

The organizers of Nation's Tri have made an incredibly generous offer for those of us planning on Annapolis being an end-of-season Olympic (pulled from the DC Tri Club forum: http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=2&showtopic=4166...
In the event that Annapolis cannot obtain all of their permits, and for those who wish to race a full triathlon around the same time on the calendar, we will open a race slot for you in the sold out Nation's Triathlon and honor the exact amount you have paid to race at Annapolis as your registration fee for Nation's. Please remember that if you are currently registered with us you CANNOT sell or transfer your registration nor will any amount be refunded based on the average Annapolis registration fee. We are doing this as an accomodation to the triathlon community. No exceptions.

In order to roll your registration into Nation's please send an email to [email protected] and let her know you were registered for Annapolis and would now like to race Nation's Tri. Indicate in that email the amount you have paid to Annapolis and include in the email your name, address, USAT number, phone number, age, gender, tshirt size and your credit card billing info. We will then register you for Nation's. If you are not a full member of USAT we will charge you $10 for a one day membership. At race registration we will have you complete and sign the USAT waiver form as well as the swim waiver form.

As an fyi we sent the same info to the organizers of Annapolis Tri letting them know we would accomodate their triathletes.

Your request MUST be made by email no later than August 28th.

Thanks.

Charles L. Brodsky
CEO, Nation's Tri

I am certainly taking them up on this
2008-08-13 1:01 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Well that is a pretty cool gesture!

But I went ahead and registered for Make-A-Wish because of its timeframe and local (I have a place to stay in Bethany at any time I want).  Plus since Cape Henlopen is the next week I can leave all my tri stuff down at the shore and just drive the family up without carrying it between races.

2008-08-24 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1599825

Pro
Burbs

beastie - 2008-08-13 10:13 AM The organizers of Nation's Tri have made an incredibly generous offer for those of us planning on Annapolis being an end-of-season Olympic (pulled from the DC Tri Club forum: http://www.dctriclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=2&showtopic=...
In the event that Annapolis cannot obtain all of their permits, and for those who wish to race a full triathlon around the same time on the calendar, we will open a race slot for you in the sold out Nation's Triathlon and honor the exact amount you have paid to race at Annapolis as your registration fee for Nation's. Please remember that if you are currently registered with us you CANNOT sell or transfer your registration nor will any amount be refunded based on the average Annapolis registration fee. We are doing this as an accomodation to the triathlon community. No exceptions. In order to roll your registration into Nation's please send an email to [email protected] and let her know you were registered for Annapolis and would now like to race Nation's Tri. Indicate in that email the amount you have paid to Annapolis and include in the email your name, address, USAT number, phone number, age, gender, tshirt size and your credit card billing info. We will then register you for Nation's. If you are not a full member of USAT we will charge you $10 for a one day membership. At race registration we will have you complete and sign the USAT waiver form as well as the swim waiver form. As an fyi we sent the same info to the organizers of Annapolis Tri letting them know we would accomodate their triathletes. Your request MUST be made by email no later than August 28th. Thanks. Charles L. Brodsky CEO, Nation's Tri
I am certainly taking them up on this

Thanks for the FYI, Beastuie -- I'm going to look into this!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annapolis Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 3