General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » brand spanking new to this... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-04-03 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
Subject: brand spanking new to this...
hi! i decided this week (with coersion) to enter the las vegas triathalon in september. i have looked at a number of the training programs and started my training today. i am nervous, but motivated, and i'm trying not to be over zealous. i'm not sure where i stand on the training continuum, but i guess i'll figure that out in the next week or so. i ran cross country in college and i haven't biked much. i'm a pretty strong swimmer, but i don't know if i have the endurance. i told everyone...if i get tired running, i can walk, if i get tired biking, i can slow down (or tip over), and if i get tired swimming, i can drown! so, now i have a raceday plan!

my first of many inane questions is...how do i incorporate other sports into my training schedule? i practice yoga and i play softball and i'm not sure how to integrate those into my training schedule. i don't want to overdo it, but i want to continue those activities, as well.

thanks in advance for your help and i'm sure you will hear from me again

2004-04-03 2:12 PM
in reply to: #16284

Champion
Subject: RE: brand spanking new to this...
Hi Cristin, welcome to the group. I can't help on the specific sports, but I imagine fitting them into your training is like fitting other stuff into your daily life. I like to go hiking in the mountains, and I figure that's good cross training. I guess it's just a matter of priorities and what you can squeeze into your schedule. My guitar playing has suffered somewhat since I started training harder!

Max
2004-04-03 5:12 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Welcome! I also do yoga, but only 1x a week. Usually Sundays. Maybe you could run after softball? Would you have enough energy at that point?
2004-04-03 5:44 PM
in reply to: #16297

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
i could probably run after softball. we have our first game this week, so i'll give it a try. do you do yoga on a rest day or on a day that you run/bike/swim?
2004-04-03 6:34 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Welcome! It's good to meet another yoga practitioner.

I do yoga every day -and it IS hard to fit in sometimes. But here's the advantage -at least for my body at my time of life. Restorative yoga and Iyengar-ish types of yoga are very good to do on running and biking days. For some reason, swimming doesn't tighten my body up in the way that biking and running do. Biking tightens me across my shoulders and running tightens up my lower body -and yoga restores my flexibility. Ashtanga-type or more common power yoga can go on strength training days. If the workout is hard enough, I sometimes replace weight training altogether with strength-based yoga. But my tendency would be to do that replacement-thing all the time, so I have to keep an eye on that.

I am indescribably bad at softball, so I can't really help you with that. But it seems to me that during softball season, you'll play softball. And maybe your tri-training will slow down a bit -but it's YOUR tri-training after all. It has to fit into your life and your priorities. Does that make sense?

Let us know you you end up working it all out. All I've really come up with is to have two workout sessions most days -and never to clean house. I don't know how much longer I can pull off this last bit before the HEalth Department comes!!!

Andrea
2004-04-03 6:47 PM
in reply to: #16313

Champion
Andrea - 2004-04-03 6:34 PM...and never to clean house. I don't know how much longer I can pull off this last bit before the HEalth Department comes!!!

Andrea

LOL Andrea! Well, when judgement day finally comes, you'll be glad you spent your life being a triathlete instead of someone who had a nicely waxed kitchen floor!

Max

2004-04-03 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Andrea you're my kinda' girl! Housecleaning what's that???? Just kiddin'

Welcome Cristin!

Glad you're tri'ing! I don't play any team sports but I do have a full time job and a business on the side so I understand fitting in things in between training. I try to do all my training during the off hours that's early in the morning so I can plan my day around it. I'm sure you'll find time! You'll be surprised how much training you can get done in just an hour! Good luck and welcome to the best tri community ever!

Also, I LOVE VEGAS!!!!

I was thinking of signing up for that tri just to go. Maybe I'll play a 50 state tri cross country trip and take three years to do it. That would be fun!!!! But I have to get through my first one first!

Good luck C. and happy training!

2004-04-04 11:46 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Croos country by tri.....I LIK THAT IDEA!!!!
2004-04-04 1:27 PM

New user

South Jordan, Utah
Welcome Cristin....you are among a great support group on this site; they have all been very valuable for advice, support, encouragement and laughs for me so far, and I have only been on here a couple of weeks.

I will also have to do some schedule adjusting, I just started softball this week, playing twice a week. I am cutting down my Tai Kwon Do training to twice a week. I thought that I would cut out pilates and yoga classes about now, but I have found them to be too valuable in keeping me loose, strong in the core muscles, and in tying all my training together. Whenever I feel like I am getting a little fatigued or worn, I take a day off, participate in a yoga or pilates class, and I am ready to go again. Just don't overdo your training, let your body tell you when you need a break or are doing too much. Get a massage once in awhile too

I have decided to prioritize my training by what is more important to me. Since I have committed to other people in playing softball, that comes first. I have been committed to Tai Kwon Do for a little longer than I have aspired to completing triathlons, so that is next, but I can pick from different classes during the week for that. Then I focus on running since that is my weakness, so I make sure I get at least 4 good run workouts in. I try to put my swim and bike workouts in on the same day. So I will probably have to give up golf, weight training, or my job.

good luck with your training...enjoy
Dave

2004-04-04 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hey--

Which of the LV tris are you doing, and what distance. That might be a determining factor in including other stuff. As to yoga, if it's anything like pilates, I do pilates on a day that I swim in the morning and then bike during CSI (on my trainer). It has not been adverse to my training at all. I also have a lot of other activities packed in as well.

If you are doing a sprint or an olympic you should be fine. I think it gets a little more complicated when you go for longer distances than that!

Welcome, it's great to have you here.

Dana

Edited by dhlundblad 2004-04-04 7:24 PM
2004-04-04 7:25 PM

Elite Veteran
Boise, Idaho

Viva Las Vegas Baby!

I used to live in So. Utah and friends and I would always hit Vegas, I'm not a gambler buit their is so much to do in Vegas.  Some of the greatest Mexican food can be found in Vegas.  I love the roller coaster at NewYork NewYork. 

Cristin,

I love to play basketball and golf, so what I do is regularly replace my biking or other tri workout with the sport that I'm going to do.  This doesn't happen all the time but regularly.

2004-04-05 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
thanks to all of you for the great suggestions! i am going into this pretty blind and appreciate anything i can learn. in the few days that i have been training, i have already learned that i need to do things in moderation and not push myself too far. on sunday i biked five miles and then had three hours of softball practice. i did pretty poorly at softball and knew i had done too much, too fast. i was exhausted and decided to take today off. there is, in fact, a difference between challenging myself and pushing myself too far. (evidently, i have to learn things the hard way.) i have figured out how to switch my schedule to accommodate yoga and softball. i see how beneficial yoga/pilates can be to my overall training can because i know i need to keep that core strength.

• ..to whoever asked which tri i was doing...it is the las vegas triathalon on 26 september. i'm obviously doing the sprint tri.

• again, thanks to everyone. this forum has taken away a lot of the fear that i had regarding this challenge. it is nice to hear such supportive words and to know that everyone else was new at this at one time. it's also good to hear the horror stories so when i fall off the treadmill or my goggles break and there is no child around to fix them, i will know i am not alone. ;-)
    2004-04-05 10:54 PM
    in reply to: #16398

User image

Extreme Veteran
    las vegas
    and yes, the roller coaster at the new york new york is the best one in town. :-)
    New Thread
    General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » brand spanking new to this... Rss Feed