Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Bike Show Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-02-28 7:23 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Subject: Toronto Bike Show
IS it or Isn't it worth going?

I am in the market for some new jerseys and a few odds and ends. Are there deals to be had? Is it worth driving 2.5 hours to go to? I would probably still swing by MEC as well but I just want to know its not a complete waste of time.

I seen pictures from the Fall show and all I seen was the kids area and clowns. Sure makes me not want to think about it.

I live in a small city and the bike shops are very liimited for cloths here.

2011-02-28 9:45 AM
in reply to: #3375050

User image

Extreme Veteran
Acton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Toronto Bike Show
I like to go just for fun. Its only an hour drive for me though, so much easier to justify.

You can find some good deals on Jersey's (lots of previous year stock marked down). I would suggest going early on the first day though, since you may not find much in your size by the end of the show.

2011-02-28 3:02 PM

New user
I'll be there.  I'm driving 4 hours from Ottawa (although to be fair, my parents and in-laws live in Toronto so it's not a big deal).

I went for the Spring 2009 show and that's where I bought my Transition.  Deals are hit/miss depending on what you're looking for, your size, budget, and the stock for the year. 

I usually go with a couple buddies to make it more like the car show.  Just look around and if you find a deal -> score. Otherwise it's just a good time out.
2011-03-01 7:45 AM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Thanks

I found a group of people heading up so I am going to jump in with them. Plus its good to meet new people.

I am sure I will find some jersey's in my size. I am on the larger size compared to most.
2011-03-01 7:47 AM

User image

Orangeville, ON

I went to the show last spring and I bought my first road bike. I got it at 25% discount but it was last year model. It worked well for me because I was looking for an entry level carbon RB, but I didn't see good deals on high end bikes. I also think the best day to go is Fri. Lots of sizes to chose from and not very crowded. Finally, I plan to go to the show this time again but I'm only one hour away from it, I wouldn’t go if I had to drive 2,5 hrs.....

2011-03-03 11:41 AM

User image

Toronto-ish
It is a decent show.
Just keep in mind this is an opportunity for retailers to thin the stock of stuff left over from last season, so it definitely has an effect on what's available.
If you wait until Saturday afternoon to arrive the best deals and best items will likely be long gone.
There's usually a pretty sizable and lively crowd.
 If you get something good don't forget to show it off here or Decostop

2011-03-04 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3381128

User image

Chatham Ontario

I am now going up with a group of people.. we are also going to hit MEC... Love that place.. I need some new cloths and a few things from there.. will likely buy more there.

Hey

Tom how are you doing? I almost fell over seeing you post on here..... I guess you have found my new obsession... I needed a break from diving this last year and health took over... and well Triathlons turned out to be it... Although this year is about some balance and getting back into diving as well. I haven't been on Decostop much in the last year.. a few times as of recent....

I have to tear down my CCR and re-do everything my weighting is now shot to heck after loosing 44 lbs.  Will probably see you at Shipwrecks.

Chris Bell

Edited by Techdiver 2011-03-04 8:10 AM
2011-03-04 8:19 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

It was good seein' ya here. Big plans for this summer?

Wouldn't have thought the words balance, tri's and diving could be used in the same sentence... well done. Now the challenge is living it, as I'm sure you well know. People complain triathlons are expensive but at least for us... this is nuthin' LOL.

2011-03-04 9:23 AM
in reply to: #3382301

User image

Chatham Ontario

I died laughing about the whole cost thing....

I had someone scould me on how much money I would spend. $1000-2000 on a bike a couple of pairs of running shoes for 300 bucks. Swimming lessions 200 bucks etc etc.. before you know it you have wrapped up 2000-3500 just to start in this sport..

I don't even want to add up the dive gear... I just don't want to know.

Ya balance will be difficult at best. My training partner is going to China for 6 weeks this summer, while she is going I am going to dive the crap out of stuff. Heading up to Presque Isle this year with Scotty. Will get to spend some time with him and check out his rEvo a bit and see how that is. My buddy Blair crossed over. I can't see doing it myself...But I might jump on it in a pool just to see if there really feels like a differance. I am PUMPED for Presque Isle this year. Terry Irvine is coming and we are going to shoot some video with him. Scott with Stills... I get to be suckered in to a model for it all...

I have some rust to shake off early this season. Many Trips to Gilboa Quarry this year I am sure. It should be a better dive season then last. I needed this last year to re-evaluate things. Many buddies around me stopped diving to economics... Driving 3 + hours to dive with scott for a day is challanging at best... Its hard when your dive buddy lives 3 hours away... But I will work it out this year. Only doing 38 dives last year and 18 of those in Cave country... Made me actually miss diving by the end of the year.

So my races are early Spring and then Fall. Its all for fun and all to be healthy... plus it will make me a better diver being in better shape... I just worry my darn O2 consumption will be up now... And I will go through more O2 on a dive... HAHAHAHA....Being Fat had its upside for a bit...lol

2011-03-05 8:59 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

How did ya like the bike show?

I enjoy the engery of the place.

Even Friday afternoon it was pretty busy. Can't imagine what Saturday musta been like.

2011-03-05 9:33 AM

User image

New user

I went last night.  Great opportunity to see new gear, and to get great deals.

Came out with a couple bags of mostly small stuff - including a real deal on a new pair of shoes for spinners class.

By far, the energy that it delivers in anticipation of spring riding is the biggest benefit.

Not so enamoured with the BMX demos.  Unnerving at best.

2011-03-06 5:48 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
It was FUN!!! Totally got a killer deal on shoes and a cute Terry kit.  Then we went to MEC. Yay!!
2011-03-06 9:19 PM
in reply to: #3385342

User image

Chatham Ontario

Silver_wlf - 2011-03-06 5:48 PM It was FUN!!! Totally got a killer deal on shoes and a cute Terry kit.  Then we went to MEC. Yay!!

Good thing you scored at the bike show.

It was alright, if you wanted a bike there were some good deals. I seen lots of great cloths for Girls... which is why YOU SCORED.. At least you out spent me...lol

I actually had more fun at MEC. Mostly because I was able to buy some stuff. Not that the show was bad. It was a great day in the rain to go to a bike show. Seen a few cute girls... Hung out with a cute girl all day too..hehehe..

I am sure there were deals to be had if you wanted to look real hard.  Some NICE PURTY BIKES there too....

I wish I had enough money to pull the trigger on a new bike TRAINER.. there was probably the best deal on a trainer there I had ever seen... Just couldn't part with $300

Edited by Techdiver 2011-03-06 9:21 PM
2011-03-07 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario

Was there yesterday.  Pretty decent show.  Saw a great deal on a 2010 Devinci Imola SL1 tri bike - Ultegra deraillers, FSA crank for $999, Dura Ace version for $1099.  If I hadn't already bought my Jamis, I would have definitely picked that up.

2011-03-07 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I went yesterday not expecting to pick up much but i walked out with a Felt B12 and a new fluid trainer.  Laughing

I meant to shop for a tri bike in the fall but the bike was there, in my size and a great deal! The funny thing is that I got it from the bike shop that is literally down the road from me.  Will be booking my fitting appointment later this afternoon!! Super stoked for spring!!!

2011-03-07 12:15 PM

User image

Toronto-ish
RVachon, do you recall which shop was selling that Devinci? Seems like a great deal.

Sounds like folks did well at the show.

2011-03-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: #3386488

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
marvintpa - 2011-03-07 1:15 PM RVachon, do you recall which shop was selling that Devinci? Seems like a great deal.

Sounds like folks did well at the show.

No I didn't at the time....but looking at the floor plan on the bike show website, I believe it was Algonquin Outfitters that had them.

2011-03-07 3:22 PM

Extreme Veteran

that was ridiculously fun

(way better than the fall show, in my opinion!)

just bought a few small items (generally 30-50% off) & stuck to my list
(i'd get in BIG trouble if i brought home another bike!)

but i have serious tri-bike deal envy...

i definitely made some mental notes for when i AM in the market for one of those!!

Edited by nicruns 2011-03-07 3:23 PM
2011-03-08 10:20 AM

New user

I ended up picking up a new mountain bike

Buddy picked up a couples set of Specialized road bikes.

Saw a pretty good deal on Felt F32 for $999... Wish that deal had been there when I first got my tri bike...

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Toronto Bike Show Rss Feed