General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2007-05-23 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Do you just have "it" or not?
I'm in my fourth year of doing tri's and have made considerable progress in my results through fairly consistent, intense training. Until the time I began training for tri's, I had never really swam, biked or ran in any significant way. I started out finishing sprints and Oly's in around the "back" of the the MOP and today I'm more at the mid-to-front of the MOP.

However, I look at the times the top 10% of my AG (35 -39) finish in, and I cannot remotely fathom ever being able to reach that level, much as I may aspire to. Some may think I'm being pessimistic, but I don't think that any amount of training, coaching, a better bike, whatever will ever allow me to move up that far. I just don't think it's in my genes or body type. And really, I'm OK with that. I mostly just want to improve on my own past performances.

However, I would be interested in hearing any stories about people who have defied such odds-- solid MOP'ers who somehow managed to climb to the top through persistence, training, whatever. I think I just need a little shot of inspiration.

2007-05-23 3:17 PM
in reply to: #814012

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Do you just have "it" or not?
I'm not sure where Barqhead started, but she is placing in the top 3 of the 35-39 age group now. She's fast, super fast. Comments she's made have me believing she wasn't always that fast, but I can't be sure.
2007-05-23 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

I really think you are born with some of "it".  The quote I have heard is "You can't coach speed" or something like that.  You are either fast or not.  I believe foot speed is somewhat inherited, but you can definately improve.  Endurance, I believe you can workon.  I have also heard "if you can run fast, run far".  I have seen my times increase over the last few years but only marginally but I don't really do drills, speed work, etc.  I usually just go or I could probably improve some.

2007-05-23 3:42 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in my first few years of cycling and running I could not average 17 mph or 10 m/m, respectively. Didn't do tris back then, but I was certainly BOMOP at best in running/cycling events. Did my first duathlon in 2003 where I finished 16 out of 21 in my AG. It was just last year where I started to break through.

Have to agree, though, that the first step in developing real speed is to pick your parents well.

Edited by the bear 2007-05-23 3:43 PM
2007-05-23 3:45 PM

Certain people are built to excel at certain sports- it's just a matter of discovering it. So yes, I think there is a physical limit for a lot of people as to what they can do. A certain amount can be built up with intense training, or learning to use your particular mechanics to their advantages to make up for maybe a lack in certain area. Example- I used to dance. Some people's bodies are naturally inclined for it- their hip sockets are shallower, which allows for greater rotation and thus, more flexibility, beyond what most normal people can develop even with lots of stretching, etc. This is not to say that someone with "normal" hip sockets can't become a great dancer- but it takes more effort sometimes to work past what our bodies can handle, if that makes any sense.
2007-05-23 3:47 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

I really think you are born with some of "it". 

I'm similar to scoobysdad.  Lower and now Upper MOP and flashes of above average stuff, but at the increments I'm improving I'll be 75 before I can average anything FOP.

Speaking of biking and running, I think with basic effort we all have a god-given speed/pace that we'll fall into.  Then, with excess knowledge/work/equipment we can make some potentially impressive improvements from that, but they're gonna be incremental and "on the edge".  I feel with the help of BT I'm still improving, but it's the incremental variety.  It's small steps that I'm very proud of, but they'll never amount to anything epic.  The fact is, I'll never qualify for Boston or Kona. 

Yet, I know a guy that came off the couch fat n' happy and within a year and a half is running sub-1:30 half-mary's.  And, I know their training and it goes against everything we know, so he could learn and become more successful, if he cared enough.

edited to add:  I want to be clear on something...the fast people I know do work d#mn hard, so I'm not taking a thing away from them.  The guy I referenced above works hard, very hard.  Just not "smart" in terms of HR, periodization, etc.  He hasn't even entered the realm of reaching his "edge" yet.

Edited by morey1 2007-05-23 3:52 PM

2007-05-23 3:57 PM
in reply to: #814097

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Yes, genetics makes a big difference in whether or not you can get fast quickly.  HOWEVER ..... with proper training and determination anyone physically able can get to a relatively high level.

There are only so many Michael Phelps, Alberto Salazar's and Eddy Mercyx's out there, but there are plenty of other pros that got there through determination and persistence rather than pure genetic ability.

And to put it into perspective - the M35-39 (with the M40-44 not far behind) is the most hotly contested field in all of multi-sport and is where you tend to find the biggest collection of fasties out there.  Many of these people did NOT jsut start out like many of us have, but have been at this thing in some way or another for 10 - 15 years.  And the top tier may as well be pros with the amount they train (15 - 20 hours per week).

When I look at the IM results and see that two or three 30 - 39 year old men beat all the women and crack into the middle of the male pro field, you know there is more than just 5 - 10 hours of training going on.  Genetics will only get you so far, hard work gets you the rest!

2007-05-23 4:01 PM
in reply to: #814119

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Daremo - 2007-05-23 3:57 PM

Genetics will only get you so far, hard work gets you the rest!

The converse is equally true.

2007-05-23 4:02 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Daremo - 2007-05-23 3:57 PM

Yes, genetics makes a big difference in whether or not you can get fast quickly.  HOWEVER ..... with proper training and determination anyone physically able can get to a relatively high level.

There are only so many Michael Phelps, Alberto Salazar's and Eddy Mercyx's out there, but there are plenty of other pros that got there through determination and persistence rather than pure genetic ability.

And to put it into perspective - the M35-39 (with the M40-44 not far behind) is the most hotly contested field in all of multi-sport and is where you tend to find the biggest collection of fasties out there.  Many of these people did NOT jsut start out like many of us have, but have been at this thing in some way or another for 10 - 15 years.  And the top tier may as well be pros with the amount they train (15 - 20 hours per week).

When I look at the IM results and see that two or three 30 - 39 year old men beat all the women and crack into the middle of the male pro field, you know there is more than just 5 - 10 hours of training going on.  Genetics will only get you so far, hard work gets you the rest!

I agree that hard work does play into it but I think there is a built in limiting factor especially with speed.  I would imagine for some of the fast people espcially people who come from "couch to fast" if you asked them they were probably faster than most kids when they were younger and just never did anything about it.  I was always pretty slow footed growing up.  I was never going to be Carl Lewis or Lance Armstrong (I got clocked in the 40 yd dash at 6 sec flat once, I think they used a sun dial to time me).  But over a long distance I am Back of FOP.  If I trained 15 hrs it would only allow me to compete in longer races not get to the podium in a big race.  Small races I can place, large ones I have little chance.  At least that is my thought, but I will keep trying.
2007-05-23 4:08 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

I'll be happy to just occasionally approach the top 10% in any of the disciplines (though I'm not holding my breath for a swim finish there), in any race.

I surprised myself with a top 15% bike finish in my first (sprint) tri.  But, then again, I  followed that up with a mediocre 37% run finish--which was my stronger discipline.  Can you say "fried on the bike"?

But, hey, live and learn.  And that's what makes tri's fun. 

2007-05-23 4:09 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
I agree that everyone is born with a certain amount of "it". But beyond that it's pretty fuzzy.Do I have "it"? I don't know. I was a very good rower in HS and college. Was that because I had "it" or because I worked harder than a lot of people (I did)? Have a become a decent triathlete because I have "it"? Or is it because I train more consistently than many and try to be smarter with my available time? My best guess is a combination. I don't know that I have a lot of "it", but I try to use what I do have well.My opinion is that many people sell themselves short on what is possible for them, blaming not having enough of "it". I think most of them just don't have the dedication or desire to get more out of themselves. But perhaps my opinion is skewed because of how much of "it" I have.Like I said...kind of fuzzy.

2007-05-23 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Daremo - 2007-05-23 1:57 PMAnd to put it into perspective - the M35-39 (with the M40-44 not far behind) is the most hotly contested field in all of multi-sport and is where you tend to find the biggest collection of fasties out there. Many of these people did NOT jsut start out like many of us have, but have been at this thing in some way or another for 10 - 15 years. And the top tier may as well be pros with the amount they train (15 - 20 hours per week).

When I look at the IM results and see that two or three 30 - 39 year old men beat all the women and crack into the middle of the male pro field, you know there is more than just 5 - 10 hours of training going on. Genetics will only get you so far, hard work gets you the rest!

Not to hijack, but why do you think the middle-aged dudes are so competitive for the overall? Does multisport favor "seasoning" as opposed to plain youth?

I mean, on the one hand, its encouraging to think (as I near the big 4-0 in a couple weeks) fast dudes in your AG can be competitive for the overall; on the other hand, it sucks because it makes any good AG placement so tough.

Edited by guncollector 2007-05-23 4:31 PM
2007-05-23 4:25 PM
in reply to: #814151

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
guncollector - 2007-05-23 4:08 PM

I'll be happy to just occasionally approach the top 10% in any of the disciplines (though I'm not holding my breath for a swim finish there), in any race.

I surprised myself with a top 15% bike finish in my first (sprint) tri.  But, then again, I  followed that up with a mediocre 37% run finish--which was my stronger discipline.  Can you say "fried on the bike"?

But, hey, live and learn.  And that's what makes tri's fun. 

Guncollector makes my point.  I have worked hard and trained consistently for a number of years in order to reach the levels he achieved in his very first sprint tri.  He talks about "occasionally" reaching of the top 10% like it's attainable. 

Like scoobysdad, there's no way on this earth I will reach that level anytime soon, and I've worked consistently for years at this sport.  At least the races I'm doing, 20-22 mph on the bike, and 7:30 runs aren't sniffing the top 10% of anything.

People, this is no different than golf, or playing piano, or any other skill.  Some people are better than others.  Some people work hard to get to level x.  Some people can coast to level x, and some with ability choose not to coast and make level y or z.

Again, guncollector, on some level going in you could tell you were good, as you expect top-10% already.  And I'm not insinuating you aren't working hard.  You just have some of "it" working for you already.

Or people in WI are way more fit and active than San Fran (doubtful). 

2007-05-23 4:31 PM
in reply to: #814169

User image

Master
Houston, TX

Not to hijack, but why do you think the middle-aged dudes are so competitive for the overall? Does multisport favor "seasoning" as opposed to plain youth?

I mean, on the one hand, its encouraging to think (as I near the big 4-0 in a couple weeks) fast dues in your AG can be competitive for the overall; on the other hand, it sucks because it makes any good AG placement so tough.

It's that generation really, olypmic sports were a bit more popular then they are today. So you end up with alot of guys who have been doing it for 10-20 years who are really fast. But that's not all of it, Tri's take up alot of time and a bit of money and you have to be able to support this life style. The 30-40 age groupers are still young enough to be quite competitive while at the same time hold a good steady job.
2007-05-23 4:35 PM
in reply to: #814097

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
morey1 - 2007-05-23 3:47 PM

I really think you are born with some of "it".

I'm similar to scoobysdad. Lower and now Upper MOP and flashes of above average stuff, but at the increments I'm improving I'll be 75 before I can average anything FOP.

Speaking of biking and running, I think with basic effort we all have a god-given speed/pace that we'll fall into. Then, with excess knowledge/work/equipment we can make some potentially impressive improvements from that, but they're gonna be incremental and "on the edge". I feel with the help of BT I'm still improving, but it's the incremental variety. It's small steps that I'm very proud of, but they'll never amount to anything epic. The fact is, I'll never qualify for Boston or Kona.

Yet, I know a guy that came off the couch fat n' happy and within a year and a half is running sub-1:30 half-mary's. And, I know their training and it goes against everything we know, so he could learn and become more successful, if he cared enough.

edited to add: I want to be clear on something...the fast people I know do work d#mn hard, so I'm not taking a thing away from them. The guy I referenced above works hard, very hard. Just not "smart" in terms of HR, periodization, etc. He hasn't even entered the realm of reaching his "edge" yet.

*cough* weekends *cough*

I have to bust yer balls a little bit and know what a dedicated parent you are, but simple facts are a lot of folks are working on 'it' over the weekend.  This is a great site in part cuz you can see what folks are doing to get where they are.  If it is a priority to get there, you have to be willing to do what those folks are doing.  This is in no way a cut on you morey cuz I know how much you bust yer azz.  I think you can also admit that you just recently got a little smarter with adding recovery runs and easing back a bit cuz of some coaching.  So folks might have some advantage from a background of athletics or what not, but from there its working harder and smarter IMO.  I am pretty sure you havent tapped all ya got outta that turnip yet.

2007-05-23 4:36 PM

Elite

On this subject, I remember a couple of years ago when Lance was on Letterman.

Letterman makes a reference to Lance's incredible achievements and his obvious athletic talent.

Lance gets his usual "aw shucks" look and says, "Well, I like to think it's all about hard work."

Yes, of course it's very humble to say "it's all about hard work," and certainly success like his never comes without hard work, but it's also about a huge amount of inherent ability.

2007-05-23 4:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Crossville, TN
Not to hijack, but why do you think the middle-aged dudes are so competitive for the overall? Does multisport favor "seasoning" as opposed to plain youth? I mean, on the one hand, its encouraging to think (as I near the big 4-0 in a couple weeks) fast dudes in your AG can be competitive for the overall; on the other hand, it sucks because it makes any good AG placement so tough.

I think the middle aged dudes have come to the point in their lives where they can focus better. Young guys have to focus on establishing a career, starting a family, having to buy a house, etc. At 46 I'm past all that. I'm totally focused on tri training. I've worked very hard on my running this last winter and got my 1/2 mary time down to 1:35:00 and I've run a 5k under 20:00 in training. My swimming and biking have suffered because of it but they're coming around. The gifted athlete runs low 5 min miles. I read a Bruce Genarri training journal the other day. He went to the track and ran 3 individual miles. The last mile he ran in 5:15 and made the comment "he never was much of a runner." I'll never see times like that no matter how hard I train. I have noticed if you are a little better than mediocre in all 3 events you are usually FOP in AG.
2007-05-23 4:53 PM
in reply to: #814196

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
morey1 - 2007-05-23 2:25 PMAgain, guncollector, on some level going in you could tell you were good, as you expect top-10% already. And I'm not insinuating you aren't working hard. You just have some of "it" working for you already.

Or people in WI are way more fit and active than San Fran (doubtful).

Umm...just to clarify...I said I'd be happy to just "approach" (not necessarily break into) the top 10% in a single discipline.

Just sayin', cause I have no illusions about approaching the top 10% overall.

2007-05-23 4:54 PM
in reply to: #814210

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

I am pretty sure you havent tapped all ya got outta that turnip yet.

I agree with everything stated in your post jszat.  That's not the question though. 

Scoobysdad, with hard work, listening to those on BT, training with folks faster than you, and more hard work, you will continue to improve.  And the improvements will be faster than had you just gone solo.  I have lopped off 30-45 seconds off of the average paces of most of my runs in less than a year.  I've added a solid 2mph on the bike.  I hope that gives you the inspiration you were looking for.

That being said, jszat, I stick to my statement ...I'll never qualify for Kona.  I'm not gonna stop trying to improve though, and I'll never be satisfied.  So, that statement isn't self-defeating, just realistic given where I'm at today, and the speed required to qualify for the major events.

2007-05-23 5:00 PM
in reply to: #814244

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
morey1 - 2007-05-23 4:54 PM

I am pretty sure you havent tapped all ya got outta that turnip yet.

I agree with everything stated in your post jszat. That's not the question though.

Scoobysdad, with hard work, listening to those on BT, training with folks faster than you, and more hard work, you will continue to improve. And the improvements will be faster than had you just gone solo. I have lopped off 30-45 seconds off of the average paces of most of my runs in less than a year. I've added a solid 2mph on the bike. I hope that gives you the inspiration you were looking for.

That being said, jszat, I stick to my statement ...I'll never qualify for Kona. I'm not gonna stop trying to improve though, and I'll never be satisfied. So, that statement isn't self-defeating, just realistic given where I'm at today, and the speed required to qualify for the major events.

I dunno, I think there is some genetic advantage perhaps, but to write that off as the whole kit and kaboodle undermines the hard work folks are doing to get where they are.  Its a balance for most people between work, parenting, other hobbies, whatever and I think that too often the reality of those things as opportunity costs in attaining higher levels.  You might not qualify for Kona, but a lot of that has to do with your comfort in tri in your life balance.  If you made up your mind and could you do it?  I dont know.  But rest assured if you tell yourself you arent and then dont take action to try and get there you most certainly wont.  That is an extreme but I think you see my point a bit.   

2007-05-23 5:02 PM

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
guncollector - 2007-05-23 4:16 PM

I mean, on the one hand, its encouraging to think (as I near the big 4-0 in a couple weeks) fast dudes in your AG can be competitive for the overall; on the other hand, it sucks because it makes any good AG placement so tough.

I think it's more to do with time and disposable income. The field just isn't as deep in the AG'ers who are younger than 30...too busy going to school, starting careers, having kids, eating ramen, etc

Edited by sebjamesm 2007-05-23 5:04 PM

2007-05-23 5:04 PM
in reply to: #814266

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
sebjamesm - 2007-05-23 5:02 PM
guncollector - 2007-05-23 4:16 PM
\Not to hijack, but why do you think the middle-aged dudes are so competitive for the overall? Does multisport favor "seasoning" as opposed to plain youth?

I think it's more to do with time and disposable income. The field just isn't as deep in the AG'ers who are younger than 30...too busy going to school, starting careers, having kids, eating ramen, etc

And not hitting the bars on the weekends anymore so able to train early AMs? 

2007-05-23 5:06 PM
in reply to: #814212

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT
ScottoNM - 2007-05-23 3:36 PM

On this subject, I remember a couple of years ago when Lance was on Letterman.

Letterman makes a reference to Lance's incredible achievements and his obvious athletic talent.

Lance gets his usual "aw shucks" look and says, "Well, I like to think it's all about hard work."

Yes, of course it's very humble to say "it's all about hard work," and certainly success like his never comes without hard work, but it's also about a huge amount of inherent ability.

I remember during Lance's last tour, ESPN had a website section about his body.   He has higher lung capacity than 95% of the population.  His RHR is like 35 and his legs are proportioned so he generates more leverage with less effort than others.    So yes, he worked his behind off all the time, but he was given a better weapon to do battle with than his competition. 

2007-05-23 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
Libertyville, IL
One more note on the 'it' thing- I find some of it bunk from experience playing soccer over 25 years.  I was always a bigger slower kid playing through the years but still pretty decent.  However, about sophmore year of high school, I started to get a work ethic that escalated in through college where I actually came into the start of the year and saw fitness decrease over the soccer season with practices and all in relative terms cuz it wasnt enough.  I got better, faster, stronger simply by working my azz off while  folks that always seemed better or faster or what not in club ball growing up together leveled off or declined.  Work pays dividends.  Im not saying you dont do it, but with some folks I know it was a case of trying to rip up every run or bike instead of respecting the easier recovery days and building gradually.
2007-05-23 5:15 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

I was just thinking that really this goes back to the old "life's not fair" thing.   Some people have better natural ability and there is nothing you or I can do about it.   In high school/college, it seemed like the jerks got all the cute girls.   My neighbor, with no schooling, makes a LOT more money than I do.   A coworker of mine, runs 10k @ 6:00/mile pace 3 times a week without stretching and in cross trainers without injury.   I can't run 3 miles at 9:00/pace in good running shoes without injuring myself.    Life sucks.  We all have limitations and you need to learn to accept them. 

There is also this kid in my neighborhood who can't walk. I guess my MOP finish isn't so bad as long as I can still run/bike/swim at all.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you just have "it" or not? Rss Feed  

of 8