Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Book Club Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-13 2:50 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: Book Club
Hi all,
I was looking for a book/reading related thread and only came across summer reading, so I thought why not starting one
This would serve to share our opinions, reviews, comments, recommendations, critics, reflections, etc... on books we have read, are currently reading, and/or want to read.
Fiction, trashy romance, scientific journals, poetry, no limits.
I guess it would be helpful to have the following:
1. Currently reading
2. Last read
3. I've always wanted to read, but....
4. I regret I read this.
5. My favorite genre/subject
6. My literacy background (I think this would be helpful if somebody needs an "expert" in certain field or seek specific guidance. I find it useful because English is my second language and I often seek an advice in the language interpretation area).

Feel free to modify or skip the above structure. It only serves as a hint. Be creative I am truly hoping this thread will be a fun experience
Have a great weekend!

2016-02-13 2:59 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Book Club
And to a good start:

1. I have just started reading "Brain on Fire. My Month of Madness" by Susannah Cahalan. At the same time I need to go through some textbooks on brain anatomy.
2. Last read: "The Martian"
3. I've always wanted to read all classics, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and the beginning of XX century, but never had time (or at least that's the excuse).
4. I regret I spent time on reading Paulo Coelho.
5. I really enjoy scientific textbooks. It started as a requirement for school, but I happened to enjoy it. I think because the text (even though scientific) was pretty plain and I was able to understand it very well. When I read classics in English, sometimes I got frustrated, because I could not understand some of the "poetic" language.
Other than that, I really like anything adventure related. Something that keeps me want to read another chapter and talk to the main character (do it!! don't do it!!) I am not a biggest fun of horror books, and I am not a fan at all about romance.
6. I used to study literature in Poland. I was, however, more interested in theory of literature and poetic.
2016-02-15 7:04 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
1. I love to read but am just too tired tonight to answer all those questions--I think my coach is trying to kill me. I don't think much reading will happen this week! Plus I'm out of books, In Singapore this weekend so maybe I can score some more.

2. Last read "Native Tongue" by Carl Hiassen. He's one of my favorite kids' writers (environmental thrillers set in Florida) but I hadn't read any of his adult books until this one. Honestly, not much difference!

3. I really want to go back to my favorite bookstore in China and get some new books. The owner knows the kind of stuff I like and will just pull the most awesome books. I've never gotten a bad one from that shop. But spending hundreds of dollars for the visa and ticket seems silly.

4. Regret--My last big reading project (over fall break( was reading "Soul Mountain" by Chinese author Gao Xingjian in Chinese. I'd read it in English and quite honestly, I didn't think it made much sense. Thought maybe something was (literally) lost in translation (most translated books are much better in Chinese--they have some amazing writers) but it STILL didn't make much sense. Maybe it wasn't supposed to make sense. Too modernist for my taste. I like a good solid story.

5. Basically I like books that take me to another time and place and help me understand life in different cultures. I really like reading books by authors who aren't American or European--lots of Indian and African authors. Maybe as I studied Chinese literature as a minor (almost--short one course that I couldn't take due to a time conflict) in college, and I fid it really interesting how people from different cultures tell a story quite differently. I also enjoy adventure type books. I can't stand books that are just about relationships or romance where nothing else happens. (Adventurous romance is okay.) Pure adventure bores me, though--I need to understand WHY the character is climbing Mt. Everest, being a double agent, etc.

6. I have always been kind of a "picky reader". As a kid I liked to write more than read. I think because I have a pretty active imagination and a lot of the books I read seemed boring. I used to read mainly non-fiction (adventure and travel.) Had to be forced into reading most of the classics, and can't say I have any real favorites. I have slowly found favorites over the years where the author's style is really interesting or I really get a new perspective from reading the book.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-02-15 7:14 AM
2016-02-17 12:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan

Disclaimer:  I have a kindle and am a prime member so I'm always scouring the free books as well as the monthly "reader's choice" where they give you the option to choose one of six books to read and review.

Also, as was the case when I read hardcopy books, I typically have two to three books going at a time.  In part because I like the variety, also I like "savoring" a good book so putting it down for a few days gives me a chance to ponder where I think it's going etc....

1. Currently reading:  Only Time Will Tell - Jeffrey Archer.

2. Last read(s):  Winter Men - Jesper Bugge (Danish writer, translated to English), Deadly Stillwater - Roger Stelljes, Noble Beginnings - LT Ryan.  I finished both books the same day.

3. I've always wanted to read, but.... That's a great question, I don't really have any reading cravings.

4. I regret I read this.  I can't recall the author or the title but the subject matter was chronicling the lives of a serial killer couple and the atrocities they committed over the course of two decades... I had to keep reminding myself that what I was reading was true, and I felt more than a little guilty for reading.... Like gawking at an accident scene...

5. My favorite genre/subject:  CIA/NSA spy type.  Mysteries.

6. My literacy background.  I'm borderline voracious in my reading volume.  Normal in reading speed and comprehension. 

2016-02-17 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

1. Currently reading Thunder Below (a navy book
2. Last read Out There (ultra book but so much more than that)
3. I've always wanted to read... Can't think of anything really 
4. I regret I read this.. again, can't think of anything. If I don't enjoy a book I quit reading.
5. My favorite genre/subject... I guess my current favorites are running/ultra running books and Navy/submarine non-fiction
6. My literacy background... before I had kids I was always reading. Once I adulated it pretty much stalled until recently. Now I still only read when traveling.

2016-02-19 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
1. Currently reading: Magnus Chase & the Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

2. Last read: Dreamlander by K.M. Weiland

3. I've always wanted to read The Lord of the Rings, but I'm too impatient to read slow paced stuff anymore.

4. I regret I read the Twilight series. All the girls at work were reading it and talking about it at lunch and I got sucked in.

5. Young Adult and Fantasy

6. My literacy background: I started reading young, started reading YA fiction when I was about 8, and never stopped. No heavy hitting books for me, just pure fluff!

Edited by Atlantia 2016-02-19 11:32 AM

2016-02-29 11:41 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I finally just got into "Born to Run", and I'm totally enthralled with it. I burned through half of it last night and can't wait to finish the rest. Don't spoil anything for me, and if you haven't read it, I highly highly recommend. It's equally fascinating, mysterious, and hilarious. In fact I often had to remind myself that it's not a piece of fiction.

2016-02-29 12:17 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by trijamie

I finally just got into "Born to Run", and I'm totally enthralled with it. I burned through half of it last night and can't wait to finish the rest. Don't spoil anything for me, and if you haven't read it, I highly highly recommend. It's equally fascinating, mysterious, and hilarious. In fact I often had to remind myself that it's not a piece of fiction.

I've had that on my "To Read" shelf for ages and just haven't gotten to it yet. Shameful, I know!

I just finished Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart, by Carrot Quinn. The subgenre of thru-hiker memoirs seems to be booming right now, or maybe just my awareness of it is. This is the story of a woman hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. While I liked reading about her adventure, especially the way she covered the monotony of the day to day,I found her general personality not a good fit for me. So irritating! I think that can be par for the course on these kinds of reads, because the adventure strips away everything about your personality except your core. I guess her core and mine wouldn't be friends?
Give it a try, you may like her better than I did. I quite liked Adventures of a Trail Stooge, by Chris Quinn (I don't think they're related?) which was an Appalachian Trail memoir.

Also...I must admit that I do not hike. I have no idea why I keep reading these hiking memoirs.....I have no interest in becoming a hiker. I guess its q quirk I've developed?
2016-02-29 12:31 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Atlantia

I've had that on my "To Read" shelf for ages and just haven't gotten to it yet. Shameful, I know! I just finished Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart, by Carrot Quinn. The subgenre of thru-hiker memoirs seems to be booming right now, or maybe just my awareness of it is. This is the story of a woman hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. While I liked reading about her adventure, especially the way she covered the monotony of the day to day,I found her general personality not a good fit for me. So irritating! I think that can be par for the course on these kinds of reads, because the adventure strips away everything about your personality except your core. I guess her core and mine wouldn't be friends? Give it a try, you may like her better than I did. I quite liked Adventures of a Trail Stooge, by Chris Quinn (I don't think they're related?) which was an Appalachian Trail memoir. Also...I must admit that I do not hike. I have no idea why I keep reading these hiking memoirs.....I have no interest in becoming a hiker. I guess its q quirk I've developed?

Did you read "A walk in the woods"? I had never laughed at a book before I read that (geez, almost 15 years ago now), and when I started reading that while I waited for a flight in the airport, I fell out of my seat from laughing my off. Still one of the best books I've ever read.

2016-02-29 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Did you read "A walk in the woods"? I had never laughed at a book before I read that (geez, almost 15 years ago now), and when I started reading that while I waited for a flight in the airport, I fell out of my seat from laughing my off. Still one of the best books I've ever read.

I haven't! But I'll put it in my queue. Sounds funny!
2016-02-29 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I've had that on my "To Read" shelf for ages and just haven't gotten to it yet. Shameful, I know! I just finished Thru-Hiking Will Break Your Heart, by Carrot Quinn. The subgenre of thru-hiker memoirs seems to be booming right now, or maybe just my awareness of it is. This is the story of a woman hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. While I liked reading about her adventure, especially the way she covered the monotony of the day to day,I found her general personality not a good fit for me. So irritating! I think that can be par for the course on these kinds of reads, because the adventure strips away everything about your personality except your core. I guess her core and mine wouldn't be friends? Give it a try, you may like her better than I did. I quite liked Adventures of a Trail Stooge, by Chris Quinn (I don't think they're related?) which was an Appalachian Trail memoir. Also...I must admit that I do not hike. I have no idea why I keep reading these hiking memoirs.....I have no interest in becoming a hiker. I guess its q quirk I've developed?

I also laughed a lot when i read it - i was reading it on vacation to an all-inclusive with my DH and a couple of friends and they would give me the raised eyebrow when i would start laughing. Very enjoyable read I picked it up after someone here recommended it. 

2016-02-29 1:20 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I enjoyed Born to Run as well. His tangents are interesting, although a bit preachy. My favorite tangent was the one about humans running vs. animals running.

2016-02-29 1:22 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by juniperjen

I also laughed a lot when i read it - i was reading it on vacation to an all-inclusive with my DH and a couple of friends and they would give me the raised eyebrow when i would start laughing. Very enjoyable read I picked it up after someone here recommended it. 

I've not read any of the books but I have read contemporary blogs of thru hikers. Interesting stuff.

2016-02-29 1:26 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner

1. Currently reading Thunder Below (a navy book
2. Last read Out There (ultra book but so much more than that)
3. I've always wanted to read... Can't think of anything really 
4. I regret I read this.. again, can't think of anything. If I don't enjoy a book I quit reading.
5. My favorite genre/subject... I guess my current favorites are running/ultra running books and Navy/submarine non-fiction
6. My literacy background... before I had kids I was always reading. Once I adulated it pretty much stalled until recently. Now I still only read when traveling.

1. Currently reading: The Smarter Screen - Shlomo Benartzi
2. Last read: Full Blast - Janet Evanovich - i like the fluffiness of her books - lots of silliness, nothing too deep but always enjoyable. 
3. I've always wanted to read: To Kill A Mockingbird. I know i have it on e-book but i've just never taken the time
4. I regret I read this: i'll go with Laura - the Twilight 'saga' - bleh. Terrible message to young girls. 
5. My favorite genre/subject: I like fluffy fiction for escaping - see #2, but also historical fiction (i got sucked into Outlander) and some non-fiction - i'll read history, current topics but only if they are written more accessibly - i read these things for enjoyment, i do not need to read dense, academic texts. 
6. My literacy background: my mom had a family that read - basically on Sundays that's all my oma and opa would do was sit in their chair and read. My mom made sure to have books in the house and i picked it up. I read so much as a kid. I hardly ever have a time when I don't have a book on the go. 

2016-02-29 1:27 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Yep! Bill Byrson is awesome. They made a movie out of "A walk in the woods" recently but it doesn't even remotely come close to the book. The rest of his books are great too but Walk in the woods is pure gold. I was a high school bum teenager who didn't read much at the time and that was the book that reminded me how fun reading is.

2016-02-29 1:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Warning - you may find these books so insightful they will make you an insufferable know-it-all. My two favorite non-fiction books...

The Sports Gene by David Epstein. I see lots of threads here on BT where the importance of training versus genetics is discussed. This book takes a balanced look at the topic, it discusses the research and provides fascinating case studies and factoids to illustrate the main points.

The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt. People mystify me. But this book provides very plausible and useful explanations of the way people really think and reasons we agree and disagree.

Edit - I didn't answer all the questions. In response to the "currently reading" question, I am currently rereading The Righteous Mind.

Don

Edited by donw 2016-02-29 1:37 PM

2016-02-29 2:23 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by rrrunner

I've not read any of the books but I have read contemporary blogs of thru hikers. Interesting stuff.

I realized after I finished that Carrot Quinn has a blog and is active on instagram and whatnot. Kind of odd for someone who starts out her book saying that she thinks she's addicted to the internet and needs to unplug. She was never without her phone on the PCT. Maybe that's one of the reasons I found her irritating? If you want to unplug, stop checking social media while thru-hiking!
2016-03-03 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Today is World Book Day, so I feel like this needs a bump!
I just started Pilgrim Wheels: Reflections of a Cyclist Crossing America, by Neil Hanson. What's everyone else reading today?
2016-03-04 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That sounds like something I would like. Love the idea of just riding and riding and riding!

Bill Bryson is funny and makes great airplane reading. Liked "Born to Run" but the whole barefoot running thing (and, with his next book) the low carb thing, just start to irritate me after a while. I guess I'm a skeptic and refuse to believe anything's the panacea people claim it is. Barefoot or minimalist might work for the Tarahumara, but they have years of muscle development, sole toughening, and mental and physical toughness from a subsistence lifestyle. Probably not the best idea for your average overweight Joe Jogger, at least without a whole lot of time for gradual adaptation (and probably doing most runs off of concrete).

Currently reading two books, one for kids (I run classroom book clubs) and one for adults.

Kids: Moon Bear, by Gill Lewis. Very well-written tale of a boy trying to save a bear cub from a bear bile farm in Laos. It ties in really well with our unit on ecosystems/environment and our recent trip to a national park here which includes a rescue center for moon bears. Also the ONLY kids' book I've ever seen set in our neighboring country. Some scary scenes like someone getting killed by UXO while farming, and a father making his daughter drink fresh bear bile, believing it will cure her cancer. But this stuff happens. Intended for ages approximately 10-14.

Adults: The Circle of Reason by Amitav Ghosh (Indian author). Really not up to the level of some of his other books, in my opinion. But only about halfway through--maybe it gets better later.

2016-03-10 11:53 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I just finished Diana Nyad's book 'Finding a way' that chronicles her life and particularly her efforts to swim from Cuba to Florida. I really enjoyed it - the story and the details of getting the mindset for that kind of endurance event. 

2016-03-10 12:32 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I just finished Diana Nyad's book 'Finding a way' that chronicles her life and particularly her efforts to swim from Cuba to Florida. I really enjoyed it - the story and the details of getting the mindset for that kind of endurance event. 

Ooo that sounds right up my alley, thanks for the recommendation!

Just finished Born to Run last night. I'll say it again, it was a fantastic read. There was a point where it took me 10 minutes to get through 2 pages because I had to keep catching my breath from laughing.

2016-03-11 5:53 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I read Nyad's book on the plane back to Vietnam in January. Was really amazed by HOW MANY times she had tried and failed the crossing before she succeeded. I knew it was not her first attempt and she definitely wasn't young, but had no idea how long a saga it had been. It was what I found most inspiring, being able to maintain that level of self-belief even after all those failures and when so many of her team, even her partner, had withdrawn their support.

I guess that was what spoke to me most. I showed few obvious athletic talents, and in fact was unusually clumsy, when I was a kid. I had a lot of people trying to tell me what I couldn't or wouldn't be able to do (excel at any sport, win a state championship, qualify for marathon trials, even just drive a car.) It really took a level of self-belief that, looking back, must have seemed rude, arrogant, and/or totally crazy to others, to keep chasing my athletic dreams. Honestly, I think that was more important than any training. Even now, I struggle with that aspect of things. Just the belief that all that training is really going to get me somewhere when there are so many more talented people out there to whom it comes more easily (especially on the bike!)

But the degree of commitment to train for and organize multiple international expeditions, developing one's own equipment and safety procedures, organizing big support teams.....I am just in awe.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-03-11 5:57 AM
2016-03-11 10:04 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
1. Currently reading: Outlander -The Fiery Cross. Love her style but really not that into historical fiction most of the time. I will continue thru to Book 8 because I'm caught up with the characters.
2. Last read: I had a bad couple of weeks where everything I picked up was crap. So I went to a favorite author and read "Chestnut Street" by Maeve Binchy.
3. I've always wanted to read, but.... Born to Run (but now I will read after hearing everyone talk about it). And The Hobbit.
4. I regret I read this: Defending Jacob, Watchers, In Cold Blood. All well written but disturbing. Also Go Set a Watchman.
5. My favorite genre/subject: Fiction, usually nothing too heavy. Chick-lit, books about life, mysteries, young adult, Southern authors. Go thru periods where I prefer Brit written or Aussie or Irish. Sometimes I get hooked on a subject matter (Like French girls leading downed pilots to freedom in WWII) and find more books on the subject. Love books that make me laugh out loud - but then have to break it up with something a little more serious.
6. My literacy background: Avid reader since childhood so 40+ years. Usually read 2 or 3 books a week. Read a lot of the classics. I find authors that I like and then read everything they have written. But I read for escape and while occasionally will pick up books with more "literary value", I want my fluff.

Someone mentioned that they are reading one of the books in Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicles. I'm not-so-patiently waiting for my library audio of Cometh the Hour.

And as for To Kill a Mockingbird, I read as a child but reread it a few months ago. Enjoyed it tremendously on the reread.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Book Club Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BT Book Club #4 Book Poll

Started by Cuetoy
Views: 1602 Posts: 25

2011-06-21 9:29 AM aquagirl

BT book club: Come pick out a new book

Started by aquagirl
Views: 943 Posts: 4

2011-06-17 7:33 AM Cuetoy

BT Book Club : Room Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by aquagirl
Views: 5917 Posts: 99

2011-05-22 7:38 PM rh8463

BT Book Club

Started by sesh
Views: 575 Posts: 7

2009-01-22 2:44 PM Tri'nNC

BT Book Club -- What are you reading/recommending? Pages: 1 2

Started by DTraub
Views: 1593 Posts: 36

2008-05-05 4:02 PM drewb8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet

date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner
date : August 14, 2009
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about the importance of triathlon clubs for your training.

date : December 17, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 2
The Monday after the race, I go to my health club for my first Pilates class in six years. I look like the fittest person here. Fortunately, I don’t mention to anyone that I’m a triathlete.
date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.

date : January 1, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
Inclusion is the key, with elements of the ride fulfilling the training and social needs of 95% of the membership. We have found that course selection, leadership have been the keys.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : January 10, 2005
author : trithis
Club or group workouts are very motivating and soon you’ll start feeling like a triathlete, making you less likely to flake out.