Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » My First Triathlon Harrison Mills Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-08-05 10:09 AM

Subject: My First Triathlon Harrison Mills
Well, I did the My First yesterday, and I should have known that something was up when I first noticed it wasn't on the Tri BC calender.

What a fricken gong show. There was terrible customer service (save for the volunteers at the aid station and the one guy directing traffic at T2) , the website said there would be "apparel and the official medal", there was only a medal, and unless you had downloaded the course map, you wouldn't have been able to find the place. There wasn't a single sign on the highway letting to let you know there was an event going on.

The Swim:

The water was sooooooo cold only handful of people (the ones smart enough to wear wetsuits - I wasn't one of them) could actually swim. I swam freestyle for a grand total of 20m. It was so cold, I couldn't force myself to exhale when my face was under the water. Several people were so cold that they couldn't swim anymore and got in to trouble trying to get to shallow water.

T1 and the Bike

T1 was not big enough to handle all the competitors, and not very road bike friendly. And I won't even get into campsite and the amount of pot smoke you had to wake through to get to the water.

The scenery was beautiful, but it sure would have been helpful if there were some arrows spray at least painted in the dirt.

The Run

The run was along the bike course. It was not bad, same great scenery, and the volunteers at the aid stations were super.

I'm still glad I did it, but for $99 I expected a lot more.

2007-08-05 9:50 PM
in reply to: #913788

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: My First Triathlon Harrison Mills
You should have asked, I would have shot this race down for you from the start. I did my first with these guys, and it was horrible. A big waste of money. How they are still in business just shocks me.
2007-08-05 10:25 PM

User image

Yeah, these guys have a horrible reputation.  I did their 'My First Triathlon' in Parksville, and it was a complete gong show too. 

Sorry you had to experience such a crappy race - trust me, it only gets better from here. 

2007-08-06 12:12 AM

Normally, I research things a little better, but I had remembered this "race" being around a while. So, I figured it must have been alright. I even know a few people that have done it and spoken fondly of it.

I apparently I didn't ask the right questions!

I looked into the race and organizer today, and wow, he's had some problems. He's been banned by at least one city in the US. he bounces checks, failed to have proper washroom facilities, (which was an issue this weekend), didn't pay the police for the traffic control they supplied under contract,. And in retrospect after watching one competitor nearly drown, first aid and how to summon EHS would have been a serious issue.

It was still a great experience as far as being out there with my friends and family. My wife and kids had a blast.

I think he gets away with all the BS because he is running the event on aboriginal land in Harrison Mills, after being kicked out of Harrison Hot Springs. My guess is the Band isn't aware, or just doesn't care about the situation.

Personally, I think Tri BC should have a warning on their website.

Even the guy handing out the race numbers was rude. Weird day I tell ya. Such a pi$$ off, and so great at the same time. I hung back with a buddy that not a strong swimmer and left T1 almost dead last. I then passed nearly everyone in the race on the bike, I was beginning to think of myself as some sort of fat Norman Stadler bike god. However, being a fat guy, I was completely gassed once I got off the bike, and nearly everyone I had just passed ran by me..

Damn...

So, I'm going to put off my plans for doing the Vancouver Tri in Sept and concentrate on just getting better shape and doing the one at UBC in March.

What are your favorites Tri's?
2007-08-06 12:38 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Dude, That sucks.
I heard about this person for a while.
Favorite races?
I sure like the xtc races.
I enjoyed the LEP one in Vancouver but I don't see it anymore.
The outback events are good.
2007-08-06 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Vaiza makes a good point, it only gets better from here! At least you got out and did one, right? And had a pretty good time despite a few minor setbacks. Now you know for future races and anyone that asks you about it/them!

2007-08-06 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
That is a crappy deal Sam. Sorry to hear it. For next year I strongly recommend the Delta / Ladner Sprint! SO well run and organized, this was the 8th year running and the Coordinator was very organized and nice, even sent me a pair of socks in the mail! I will be going to this race each and every year, unless I get sponsored and go pro. But until then! Everyone has bad races so I guess it is a good thing you got yours out of the way now, plus I'll bet you learned a lot more in this one race than most people learn in a season. See you out there!
Chris

Edited by hazmaster 2007-08-06 8:57 PM
2007-08-07 3:46 PM
in reply to: #914270

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

SamSteele - 2007-08-05 10:12 PM
Personally, I think Tri BC should have a warning on their website.

I'm sure Tri BC just loves Brent Kamenka.  He even registered http://www.tribc.com and he has it redirecting to his own website.   (the real Tri BC website is http://www.tribc.org/ 

2007-08-07 4:14 PM

Hello everyone,

I thought I would sign up and respond to these lovely message listed here!

Well I was one of the many people who had problems with this event...I ended up in the back of an ambulance as the rest of you thankfully were able to finish.

I have a history of low blood pressure...and my body doesn't respond well to severe stress. When the race began I couldn't catch my breath it was so cold...when I finally did I began the swim...I came across a girl that was having troubles...and was starting to panic...I ended up being the only one near her as the "1" lifeguard was 20 feet away and the kayaker was blocked by the swimmers...I had to stand on my tippy toes to get her to shallow ground. I finally did and continued on in the race. With 20 feet to go I lost my blood pressure big time (I know what it feels like) and I kept bobbing up and down in the water...with 5 feet to go I got one of the minimal organizers to pull me out of the water. I collapsed on the sand just out of the water. Luckily a family member of one of the racers was a clinical nurse and was able to help me...after about 20 minutes I tried to get up...but then felt worse than I did originally. They called an ambulance (they got lost and took 20 more minutes to arrive). My girldfirend yelled at the organizer who basically shrugged his shoulders and said they had an ambulance "on-call" but none of them called it!
Buy that time I was shaking violently and basically all the organizers left to go to the end of the race.

I was hypothermic with a temperature of 34...and no radial pulse. I'm okay now...but I felt it was touch and go for a while...

So...I'm appalled at everything to do with this event...70-72 degree water (ya right)...pancake flat bike route (ya right)...the whole thing is ridiculous. And the fact that they encourage children/teenagers to do it is outright horrible.

I want to shut this guy down for good...and I'm going to do my best to do that! If anyone wants to help me...let me know!

Edited by Tracey321 2007-08-07 4:17 PM
2007-08-07 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Maybe first (before we shut it down) we should go out and volunteer, to help those poor souls who signed up for his Full Ironman next weekend.

2007-08-07 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC

Apparently he's running races out of Texas too now.  Here's an 11-page PDF file warning people about doing the Texas races.  They nicely summarize some of his past exploits...

http://www.tricowtown.com/FileUploads/WES.pdf

"We at Houston Racing urge anyone who is considering entry into the My First/My Next triathlons currently scheduled for April 1, 2006 or the Gulfman International or Half-Ironman Triathlons currently scheduled for April 2, 2006 in Galveston, Texas to carefully read the contents of this document before doing so...."

2007-08-07 4:56 PM

What a jerk!

I've already put a call in to Eagle Point Developement...the Chamber of Commerce is on my list next.

2007-08-07 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Wow, that's some crazy stuff going on there. I'm glad you're doing better now Tracey. Have you called Tri BC to see if there's anything they can do??

A girl I knew was thinking of doing this race, I'll have to call her and see.
2007-08-07 9:31 PM

I am okay...thanks for asking.

I'm going to be contacting alot of people to make sure this guy is out of business...or at least make it harder for him to do it.

2007-08-10 6:14 PM

My mom was supposed to be doing her first tri tomorrow in Harrison, but she's out there and no one knows anything about it. She asked me to look up phone numbers etc and in my research I found your comments. It sounds like this guy has packed up and left. Does anyone know anything about a race this weekend. The website says that there is one, but there is no trace of it out there. Sounds like he might have taken the registration and made a run for it. Not a good experience for a 62 year old lady who was really excited about her first race.
2007-08-10 7:23 PM
in reply to: #921817

User image

Veteran
Cloverdale, BC
As far as I know, the race should be at the Squawkum Campground at Harrison Bay.  That's probably the best place to ask. 

2007-08-10 10:51 PM

Hi there...

As much as I think this guy has no regard for safety...I don't think he has run off.

There is a 1-800 #...try 1-800-343-4466...hopefully someone will answer that!

Tell your mom if she's not used to cold water to bring a wet suit...even with that she will be in for a big surprise temperature wise...it is not 70-75!

Good luck to her if she does it!

Tracey
2007-08-11 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran

OMG, that's terrible   It;s too bad that this guy charges soooo much for a "my first tri" race.  It's supposed to be a fun experience for your first tri.  Not a dangerous experience.  That really pi$$es me off.

As for favorites...I haven't done any of the races on the mainland yet, but here are some good ones on Vancouver Island:

Qualicum Beach Sprint

Comox Valley Tri K (sprint)

Cowichan Challenge (short and long course)

Self Transendence (oly)

triathlon of Compassion (sprint)

New Balance Half Iron

XTC off road triathlon (Campbell River has short, long, du, and trail runs)

I hope that your next race is an adventure that will put a huge smile on your face

2007-08-11 7:14 PM
in reply to: #921817

trisacc_2 - 2007-08-10 6:14 PM

My mom was supposed to be doing her first tri tomorrow in Harrison, but she's out there and no one knows anything about it. She asked me to look up phone numbers etc and in my research I found your comments. It sounds like this guy has packed up and left. Does anyone know anything about a race this weekend. The website says that there is one, but there is no trace of it out there. Sounds like he might have taken the registration and made a run for it. Not a good experience for a 62 year old lady who was really excited about her first race.

Don't worry, the problem with this guy by the looks of it, is that he won't go away.. haha

There won't be any trace of it or sign of it until you reach the check in area. There are no road signs, or signs to transition areas, etc.

I hope you guys made it out there okay and that she has a good (safe) day.

I hope she brought a wetsuit..

And let us know how she did!!!

2008-07-29 4:11 PM

I have to weigh in here because I'm still somewhat traumatized about my first triathalon experience...  The water was indeed wicked cold. Now that I wikipedia how I was feeling, I think I had level 1 hypothermia. The swim was a terrible experience. Not only was I colder than I've ever been in my life, I was having a hard time changing at the transition because I couldn't feel my fingers very well and lacked tactile dexterity. I think they should have told everyone what to expect and instead of maybe ten out of over hundred folks in wetsuits, many more people would probrably have rented one. I think you should tell people, because its their desicion to make... about what they should wear or if they should do it at all.

The organizer made a joke, about hey .. if i told yall you wouldnt do it. Well.. yeah thats the point. That is so NOT cool.

After the swim, was a very rocky drive thru area, from the camp site to the main road. I walked my bike up there as I didnt think it was safe, riding on large stones, with thin road bike tires. Not the best location.

Speaking to several other triathaloners there that day, there seemed to be an overall confusion as to where the route was. The map was not very clear and people were asking eachother for clarification. The run/ride wasnt pancake flat, athought it wasnt super hilly.. I'd say it was a gradual incline with slightly hilly areas, still that is different than the perception that its as flat as the sidewalk outside your door or " pancake flat". Including a statment of perhaps: The hill is x many dregress at its highest point and this many degrees on average, would have been a nice gesture to people seeking more information.

I think my first tri was a good experince but after such a terrible swim, I felt like It was really hard to hit my stride on other events as I was still thawing out and regaining the ability to breath deply and feel comfortable. I spent the whole event trying to assess how I felt and what I should do about it.

but maybe I'm just a sissy. It was my first tri.

2008-07-29 4:37 PM

Does anyone know how to find out the water temperature by Squawkum Campground ? I'd really like to know how cold the water was that I was swimming in.

Thanks in advance,

K

2008-08-04 3:38 PM

User image

Abbotsford

Bummer!! This isn't great news considering I'm scheduled to race next weekend. I wish I would've saved the money and just entered the Vancouver Oly on Sept 1!! It's my first triathlon and this is some of the sketchiest stuff I have ever heard. I hope that this guy gets some of his "s" together before next weekend! (Not likely by the sound of it but here's to hoping.)

I guess part of it was I was a little apprehensive about doing my first triathlon let alone jumping straight into an Olympic length one. (Especially the swim part)

I'm really glad to hear that everyone is ok, espcially Zaipha. I'll try to report on my experience to let everyone know how it was.

As for the temp, not sure.

GD

2008-08-04 6:07 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you gary...I have heard a lot of bad things about the organizer of these races but I hope that it is a somewhat pleasant race for you...especially  since it is your first race, good luck, stay safe and we'll all be watching for your RR!
2008-08-05 11:10 AM

User image

Regular
Maple Ridge
Good luck this weekend. I can only say that the water was bloody cold when I did it last year !!! It was my first also and I had only just decided to do it a few weeks before. I think someone at the site said the water was 58. I couldn't put my face in the water, thank goodness it was only 400m. If you can get ahold of a wetsuit I'd do it even for just 400m. I think ALOT of people cheated and didn't swim the whole way. Just so you know there will likely be NO site security at all so don't take anything too valuable. You don't finish near where you start so make sure you have someone with you to bring your swim gear up to T2 for you. As was stated above my experience was complete chaos so don't expect too much, as in don't expect him to even be at the venues that are listed on the website for check in. Don't expect ANY signage to help find the event, expect about 7 people TOTAL to be running the event. Expect 5 of these to be teenagers standing around. I ended up having a good time ( of course my inlaws had my three kids back at the hot springs so it was a break for me)despite all the short comings and I'm sure you will too.

Melissa

Edited by mommytriz 2008-08-05 11:12 AM
2008-08-06 1:13 PM

User image

Abbotsford

Thanks! I'm just going to go out and enjoy the day. I think I'm already miles ahead on this one since I've had such great feedback. The experience will be good because a) I don't have anything to compare to and b) my expectations will be bang on so it'll only be what I make it. Laughing But thanks again for the well wishing and the feedback. it will help! Luckily I'm familiar with the area and I've been checking things out on google maps to see how things look. I also have a wetsuit to use. It is a little big in the neck and let's a little water in but it'll be better than nothing.

Hopefully there will be signs left over from the IM that will be run the day before the Sprint event. Either way i'll make sure to be extra cautious on the road section.

Quick question, would it be alright to wear my cycling shorts under the wetsuit and use it for the run. I haven't been able to find a pair of tri shorts so I'm wondering if the padding will be too much. I've tried to run in them once and it wasn't too bad. But any feedback would be really helpful.

Thanks again and to be honest, I'm getting  pretty excited about the race even though it's a little disorganized!!

GD

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » My First Triathlon Harrison Mills Rss Feed  

of 2