BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2008-12-17 3:06 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Subject: Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-)

Welcome to the Beth and Yanti's New Manatees group.  We co-mentored the Manatees during the last mentor session and had such a great time mentoring together that we would like to continue on into the new yearWhy is the group called the Manatees, you ask?  Well, even though this is a mentor group, we are all "mentorees," but "manatees" just sounds more fun!

Together we have experience from short distance to long distance races and we would love to inspire and motivate you in this sport we both love.

We look forward to meeting  you!

Now a little bit about each of us ...

Beth

I'm Beth, aka Lastcall2003, aka Tinkerbeth

Lastcall2003 represents a turning point in my life--2003 is the year I woke up and realized that I needed to do something about being 30 lbs overweight with high blood pressure, having become completely inactive, and well, not liking who I was very much. It is a reminder to me to never let myself go back to being that person!

I have 3 kids (2 in college and 1 in middle school) and live in PA.  We moved here in September of this year.  I'm still learning the area, but am excited because there are a lot more race opportunities than where I lived previously.

I did my first triathlon in my mid 40s and have now completed 2 Olys and 4 Sprints.  My first love is swimming, followed closely by biking, and let’s just say I’m learning to love to run.

I am currently training for a 1/2 Mary, and am following a Training plan that a fellow BTer recommended as he used it when he trained for his first 1/2 Marathon.  I generally use the BT training plans during the race season. 

Yanti

I grew up in Indonesia, where I swam with the national team and my high school team. In the States, I coached and competed in martial arts, but became sedentary after an injury. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon--before long I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! I also teach Spinning(R) classes. I’m single and live in Venice, California, where it’s great to have the ocean and bike and running trails at my doorstep.

I’ve been lucky enough to do marathons and triathlons around the world.

This year I myself feel like a newbie again as I am taking on a new distance—Ironman Kentucky in August ’09. While I will do a sprint and some Olympics and probably even a marathon, my entire training is focused on the IM goal.

I do BT or other well-researched plans and my own adjustments to periodize my training year (fancy word for training different ways during different times of year for maximum benefit). Most of my workouts have a purpose and fall into well-planned weeks: it helps maximize training time and prevent burnout and injury.  

I’ve lost nearly 100 lbs. since becoming active again (40 lbs. the last tri season). I am still an Athena (generally, a female athlete over 150 lbs.)

Edited by lastcall2003 2008-12-22 9:51 AM

2008-12-17 3:26 PM
in reply to: #1859524

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - open
Just wanted to pop in and say hello so you could put an avatar to a name! ~Yanti
2008-12-20 11:36 PM

User image

Veteran

NAME: Noony (nathalie

STORY: I've been tri-ing since 2006.  I first found BT and triathlons by reading about Michael Pates story (When Big Boys Tri) and it inspired me to get moving.  I lost 40 pounds the first year.  I've struggled to maintain weight loss and training between seasons. I'd like to make great strides this season so that I won't slip as much during the off season. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, No kids yet, 2 cats and 1 fish. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm trying to get back off the couch into a regular training habit.  I will starting a HIM training plan in January. 

2009 RACES: I'm shooting for an HIM in June, Eagleman.  I'm not sure that I will be able to pull it off.  I'm slow and out of shape but I'm going to train for it.  In order to complete it, I need to lose weight. I have also signed up for a Spring, IronGirl Columbia in August. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm heavy and need to lose quite a bit of weight.  Before the HIM, I'd like to take off 40-50 pounds. I recently signed up for the nutritional coaching on BT.  

I'm looking forward to being part of a group.  It will increase my accountability and I'm hoping will increase my motivation.    

Thanks for mentoring.....  

2008-12-21 12:01 AM
in reply to: #1865515

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I'm in again! You guys are never going to get rid of me.

NAME: Erin

STORY: I started training for triathlons in mid-2007; my first tri was in November 2007 but the swim was cancelled last minute, so of course I had to sign up for another. In 2008 I did: four sprint tris, three half marathons, one marathon and a few 10Ks and 5Ks. I also trained for an olympic tri that was cancelled the day before the race (I've had some seriously bad race luck). Anyway, over the course of the year I figured out that a) I really suck at swimming and b) I really enjoy running. I'm still doing triathlons because the races are a blast, but I'm definitely run-focused now.

FAMILY STATUS: Very single.

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm recovering from my first marathon early this month. I start serious training again in early January. I'm only running at the moment, but I do plan to do some tri training next year so I can continue to do some sprints (maybe an olyl?).

2009 RACES: I'm planning for the San Francisco Marathon in July and probably another fall marathon, plus a few half marathons and, hopefully, lots and lots of 10Ks and 5Ks. I'll also do at least three sprint tris (probably the same ones as this year).

WEIGHT LOSS: I lost 50 pounds between March 2006 and April 2008, primarily through exercise and diet change (*not* dieting). I've maintained my weight since April.

Hi!
2008-12-21 7:48 AM

User image

Marietta, GA

I'd like to join the group!  Reno8 and I are training for a half-ironman in September, after doing our first ever sprint tri this June...seems pretty ambitious!  So I'm looking for all the help I can get!

I started thinking about doing a triathlon in September 2007, shortly before my 54th birthday.  At the time it seemed like an outrageous idea, but I started talking to people about it, and it grew.  People said, "That sounds like fun" or "I've always wanted to do one of those" or "My husband does them and he's always wanted me to join him".  Before long, I had 60 people on an email distribution list that's now grown to over 200.  I recruited Reno to help with the training plan and he found BT.  I continued to promote it, found resources to help us in our training and in June of 2008, 42 members of our group successfully completed a sprint triathlon at Callaway Gardens, 40 of those were first-timers.  What a rush!  I was hooked, both on triathlons and on helping others to get off the couch and accomplish something they never thought possible.  As a chiropractor, I've "told" people to exercise thousands of times; inviting them to do this with me was immensely more powerful--lives were changed! We're starting up again to train beginners for next year's Callaway event and I've got a committee to help me now. 

Meanwhile, my personal training goals include doing the Disney marathon in January, a couple of Olympics in the summer and the half IM in September.  As I say, fairly ambitious for a 50+ beginner.  I'm a good swimmer, but slow.  I love the bike but have hit a plateau in speed with that as well.  Running is my weakest, which is why I agreed to do the marathon, thinking training for it would build up that part of the game. 

I'm looking forward to this year, and I know being part of this group will be great for me!

Susan

2008-12-21 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1865525

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

I'm in for the Manatees v2.0

Name:  Steve

Story:  Started training for tri's in late 2007 with my Chiropractor (BT-sahooper) and a group of other beginners.  Did my first sprint in June.  I was hooked.  My background is in running and I really love to swim...(cough, cough) 

Family Status:  Married (for frickin EVER) 3 kids and 3 grandkids. 

Current Training:  Right now I am in taper for the Disney Marathon and I will start up with my Oly program as soon as I have recovered from that.

2009 Races:  Disney Marathon (Jan), Oly Tri (May), Sprint (June), Century Bike (July), Augusta 70.3 (Sept) and several 5k and 10k races thrown in during the year.

Weight Loss:  While weight loss was not a specific goal of starting this journey, I have dropped about15-18 pounds and my BF% has dropped from 28% to around 24% with a goal to be at about 20% by this fall.

I am sure this will be a great group with 2 of the finest people on BT as our mentors.

Steve

2008-12-21 8:06 AM
in reply to: #1865515

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
noony - 2008-12-21 12:36 AM

NAME: Noony (nathalie

STORY: I've been tri-ing since 2006.  I first found BT and triathlons by reading about Michael Pates story (When Big Boys Tri) and it inspired me to get moving.  I lost 40 pounds the first year.  I've struggled to maintain weight loss and training between seasons. I'd like to make great strides this season so that I won't slip as much during the off season. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, No kids yet, 2 cats and 1 fish. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  I'm trying to get back off the couch into a regular training habit.  I will starting a HIM training plan in January. 

2009 RACES: I'm shooting for an HIM in June, Eagleman.  I'm not sure that I will be able to pull it off.  I'm slow and out of shape but I'm going to train for it.  In order to complete it, I need to lose weight. I have also signed up for a Spring, IronGirl Columbia in August. 

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm heavy and need to lose quite a bit of weight.  Before the HIM, I'd like to take off 40-50 pounds. I recently signed up for the nutritional coaching on BT.  

I'm looking forward to being part of a group.  It will increase my accountability and I'm hoping will increase my motivation.    

Thanks for mentoring.....  

Welcome Nathalie!  We look forward to getting to know you!  The mentor groups are a great resource for accountability and motivation.

Have you decided on a training plan?  June is six months away and with the right approach to training, you should be able to be ready.

Yanti will have better insights into this as she has completed the longer distances.

Edited by lastcall2003 2008-12-21 8:20 AM
2008-12-21 8:07 AM
in reply to: #1865525

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

Fielding - 2008-12-21 1:01 AM I'm in again! You guys are never going to get rid of me. NAME: Erin STORY: I started training for triathlons in mid-2007; my first tri was in November 2007 but the swim was cancelled last minute, so of course I had to sign up for another. In 2008 I did: four sprint tris, three half marathons, one marathon and a few 10Ks and 5Ks. I also trained for an olympic tri that was cancelled the day before the race (I've had some seriously bad race luck). Anyway, over the course of the year I figured out that a) I really suck at swimming and b) I really enjoy running. I'm still doing triathlons because the races are a blast, but I'm definitely run-focused now. FAMILY STATUS: Very single. CURRENT TRAINING: I'm recovering from my first marathon early this month. I start serious training again in early January. I'm only running at the moment, but I do plan to do some tri training next year so I can continue to do some sprints (maybe an olyl?). 2009 RACES: I'm planning for the San Francisco Marathon in July and probably another fall marathon, plus a few half marathons and, hopefully, lots and lots of 10Ks and 5Ks. I'll also do at least three sprint tris (probably the same ones as this year). WEIGHT LOSS: I lost 50 pounds between March 2006 and April 2008, primarily through exercise and diet change (*not* dieting). I've maintained my weight since April. Hi!

Hi Erin!  Welcome back!

2008-12-21 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1865621

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
sahooper - 2008-12-21 8:48 AM

I'd like to join the group!  Reno8 and I are training for a half-ironman in September, after doing our first ever sprint tri this June...seems pretty ambitious!  So I'm looking for all the help I can get!

I started thinking about doing a triathlon in September 2007, shortly before my 54th birthday.  At the time it seemed like an outrageous idea, but I started talking to people about it, and it grew.  People said, "That sounds like fun" or "I've always wanted to do one of those" or "My husband does them and he's always wanted me to join him".  Before long, I had 60 people on an email distribution list that's now grown to over 200.  I recruited Reno to help with the training plan and he found BT.  I continued to promote it, found resources to help us in our training and in June of 2008, 42 members of our group successfully completed a sprint triathlon at Callaway Gardens, 40 of those were first-timers.  What a rush!  I was hooked, both on triathlons and on helping others to get off the couch and accomplish something they never thought possible.  As a chiropractor, I've "told" people to exercise thousands of times; inviting them to do this with me was immensely more powerful--lives were changed! We're starting up again to train beginners for next year's Callaway event and I've got a committee to help me now. 

Meanwhile, my personal training goals include doing the Disney marathon in January, a couple of Olympics in the summer and the half IM in September.  As I say, fairly ambitious for a 50+ beginner.  I'm a good swimmer, but slow.  I love the bike but have hit a plateau in speed with that as well.  Running is my weakest, which is why I agreed to do the marathon, thinking training for it would build up that part of the game. 

I'm looking forward to this year, and I know being part of this group will be great for me!

Susan

Hi Susan!  That's a great story!  How awesome and rewarding for your to be a part of helping people change their lives in such a positive way.  

Not only do you 'talk the talk' you 'walk the walk', something which I'm your patients respect and appreciate.

Welcome to the Manatees

2008-12-21 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1865626

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-12-21 8:53 AM

I'm in for the Manatees v2.0

Name:  Steve

Story:  Started training for tri's in late 2007 with my Chiropractor (BT-sahooper) and a group of other beginners.  Did my first sprint in June.  I was hooked.  My background is in running and I really love to swim...(cough, cough) 

Family Status:  Married (for frickin EVER) 3 kids and 3 grandkids. 

Current Training:  Right now I am in taper for the Disney Marathon and I will start up with my Oly program as soon as I have recovered from that.

2009 Races:  Disney Marathon (Jan), Oly Tri (May), Sprint (June), Century Bike (July), Augusta 70.3 (Sept) and several 5k and 10k races thrown in during the year.

Weight Loss:  While weight loss was not a specific goal of starting this journey, I have dropped about15-18 pounds and my BF% has dropped from 28% to around 24% with a goal to be at about 20% by this fall.

I am sure this will be a great group with 2 of the finest people on BT as our mentors.

Steve

Hi Steve!

welcome back!  

You have a great year lined up and I know that 2009 will be a wonderful year of firsts!

Repeat after me, I love to swim, I love to swim, I love to swim - that wasn't so hard was it?

2008-12-21 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I'd love to join this group! The manatee is my favorite sea creature- so I can't go wrong, right?

About me: My name is Samantha, but everyone calls me Sam. My journey in tri started last Feb when my hubby (Tryin Mike) said that we ought to try a tri. I mean afterall we both had a running background and had been RPM (spinning-type) classes at our gym for a couple of months. So, we gave it a try and found that we LOVED it!! I hadn't been in a pool, swimming laps, in many many years. That was my challenge. That was also where I made the biggest gains, endurance- wise. 

During my journey, I have read every tri book that I could get my hands on, settling on Matt Fiztgerald's Triathlete Magazine books as my favs. I found an Olympic distance program that I followed to a "t". My A race last year was to be an Oly; but the race was run by a bunch of college kids who managed to get the race cancelled three weeks prior and then back on, but at a different venue with different swim distance the week of.. So, I made another race my A race. Did 2 tri's last year, ran 2 10k's (set PR), and a 5K, which I won 1st place women's and set a PR. 

My weightloss journey has been challenging. At my heaviest I weighed 224lbs. Today, I weigh 147. I have tried every diet known to man! WW has the been the key to my success. I made goal 1/16/08 and have kept it off. I'd like to get into the 130's.. that's my next goal. 

I'd like to join this group, because I have found that at the gym, I love group fitness. I do a strength-training class called BodyPump 3x's a week and RPM at least 1-2 x's week (especially now that it's winter and too cold to go out on my bike). I'm lucky because hubby does tri too. No kids, unless you count  a dog and 5 cats!! Anyway, I'd like to have the motivation of a group; someone to push me , encourage me, and for me to do that to others as well. I love this sport!! My "down" time is over, and it's time to get to work!!

Race plan for 2009: 4/19, sprint (indoor pool swim), 5/30, longer sprint- almost oly distance, 7/11, longer sprint, 8/16, hopefully oly (A race?), 9/12, longer sprint 

I hope you'll take me and I really look forward to getting to know all of you!! 

2008-12-21 11:49 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

NAME: Ronen

STORY: Back in late 2006, reviewing my blood test result, I knew that I had to do something about it, unless I wanted to get a hart attack or a stroke within the next couple of years. Then, to my birthday, I got an iPod. I had to find a good use to it and decided to start running. I wanted to loose weight, get fitter, healthier and do whatever I can to improve my follow-up blood tests. I visited a cardiologist which gave me a green light to start training and I followed a "couch to 5K" training plan - which took me forever to complete. Slowly, I started running longer distances, and by April of 2007, I completed my first half marathon. It was hard and challenging but I was really proud of it. Between April and June of 2007, I started looking for a new job and in June of 2007 we moved from NJ to San Diego, CA. I then decided to look into triathlons and was so happy to find a local tri club which was (and still is) very supportive, friendly and welcoming. I decided to join, not knowing much about what a triathlon really meant. I started swimming in a local pool and slowly gained confidence. I had never learned how to swim so it was a challenge for me. I decided to buy my first wetsuit and race a sprint tri in October of 2007. My first race was a club race (a monthly race organized by the club and is free to all members). It was pretty pathetic but I learned a whole lot. I barely could finish the 800 meter swim, I finished last the bike leg on my old mountain bike and finished the run, when most other people were already in their cars on their way home... Since then, I raced a few more sprints and one Olympic. I raced 3 half marathons as well. I joined a master swimming group about 3 months ago and swim 3 times a week. I spin 2 times a week and train for my first marathon now.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 3 kids.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Swimming: Masters program with a great coach. 3 times a week - at 5:30AM. Bike: I take 2 spin classes a week. Running: I currently train for my first full marathon and follow Hal Higdon's novice marathon training plan.

2009 RACES:

Jan-25 - Carlsbad full marathon

March-? - SuperSeal Olympic tri

October-? - SOMA HIM tri

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight was always a challenge for me. During 2008, I lost about 20 lbs and I feel great. I am, relatively, a tall guy and I'll always be a Clyde...

I'm looking forward to being part of this group.
2008-12-21 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1865742

User image

Melon Presser
nuttysami123 - 2008-12-21 8:18 AM

I'd love to join this group! The manatee is my favorite sea creature- so I can't go wrong, right?

About me: My name is Samantha, but everyone calls me Sam. My journey in tri started last Feb when my hubby (Tryin Mike) said that we ought to try a tri. I mean afterall we both had a running background and had been RPM (spinning-type) classes at our gym for a couple of months. So, we gave it a try and found that we LOVED it!! I hadn't been in a pool, swimming laps, in many many years. That was my challenge. That was also where I made the biggest gains, endurance- wise. 

During my journey, I have read every tri book that I could get my hands on, settling on Matt Fiztgerald's Triathlete Magazine books as my favs. I found an Olympic distance program that I followed to a "t". My A race last year was to be an Oly; but the race was run by a bunch of college kids who managed to get the race cancelled three weeks prior and then back on, but at a different venue with different swim distance the week of.. So, I made another race my A race. Did 2 tri's last year, ran 2 10k's (set PR), and a 5K, which I won 1st place women's and set a PR. 

My weightloss journey has been challenging. At my heaviest I weighed 224lbs. Today, I weigh 147. I have tried every diet known to man! WW has the been the key to my success. I made goal 1/16/08 and have kept it off. I'd like to get into the 130's.. that's my next goal. 

I'd like to join this group, because I have found that at the gym, I love group fitness. I do a strength-training class called BodyPump 3x's a week and RPM at least 1-2 x's week (especially now that it's winter and too cold to go out on my bike). I'm lucky because hubby does tri too. No kids, unless you count  a dog and 5 cats!! Anyway, I'd like to have the motivation of a group; someone to push me , encourage me, and for me to do that to others as well. I love this sport!! My "down" time is over, and it's time to get to work!!

Race plan for 2009: 4/19, sprint (indoor pool swim), 5/30, longer sprint- almost oly distance, 7/11, longer sprint, 8/16, hopefully oly (A race?), 9/12, longer sprint 

I hope you'll take me and I really look forward to getting to know all of you!! 

Welcome, Sam! It's great to have you on board. Many of us have weight loss success stories and are also trying to continue on that journey. Kudos, and also for educating yourself so much on tri! Beth and I take seriously that everyone has experience and wisdom to share, so thanks so much for what you bring to the group, and being open to learning from all of us as well.

2008-12-21 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1865812

User image

Melon Presser
Ronen - 2008-12-21 9:49 AM

NAME: Ronen

STORY: Back in late 2006, reviewing my blood test result, I knew that I had to do something about it, unless I wanted to get a hart attack or a stroke within the next couple of years. Then, to my birthday, I got an iPod. I had to find a good use to it and decided to start running. I wanted to loose weight, get fitter, healthier and do whatever I can to improve my follow-up blood tests. I visited a cardiologist which gave me a green light to start training and I followed a "couch to 5K" training plan - which took me forever to complete. Slowly, I started running longer distances, and by April of 2007, I completed my first half marathon. It was hard and challenging but I was really proud of it. Between April and June of 2007, I started looking for a new job and in June of 2007 we moved from NJ to San Diego, CA. I then decided to look into triathlons and was so happy to find a local tri club which was (and still is) very supportive, friendly and welcoming. I decided to join, not knowing much about what a triathlon really meant. I started swimming in a local pool and slowly gained confidence. I had never learned how to swim so it was a challenge for me. I decided to buy my first wetsuit and race a sprint tri in October of 2007. My first race was a club race (a monthly race organized by the club and is free to all members). It was pretty pathetic but I learned a whole lot. I barely could finish the 800 meter swim, I finished last the bike leg on my old mountain bike and finished the run, when most other people were already in their cars on their way home... Since then, I raced a few more sprints and one Olympic. I raced 3 half marathons as well. I joined a master swimming group about 3 months ago and swim 3 times a week. I spin 2 times a week and train for my first marathon now.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married with 3 kids.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Swimming: Masters program with a great coach. 3 times a week - at 5:30AM. Bike: I take 2 spin classes a week. Running: I currently train for my first full marathon and follow Hal Higdon's novice marathon training plan.

2009 RACES:

Jan-25 - Carlsbad full marathon

March-? - SuperSeal Olympic tri

October-? - SOMA HIM tri

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight was always a challenge for me. During 2008, I lost about 20 lbs and I feel great. I am, relatively, a tall guy and I'll always be a Clyde...

I'm looking forward to being part of this group.

Hi, Ronen! Welcome to the Manatees! Congrats on finishing your first tri (I have a similar story about just struggling to finish my first one) and on your running success. It's going to be fantastic to watch your journey as you finish your first marathon. You've made great changes in your life and it's great to have you on board with a group of people who have done and are continuing to do so!

2008-12-21 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC

Name:John

History:
I am 58 years old and new to endurance sports. I have been married 34 years(2 grown daughters and my wife thinks I have gone off the deep end(again). 3 years ago I weighed 205 lbs. and almost registered obese on the government scale. I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Anyway,I started walking/jogging and worked with a nutritionist for 6 months. I lost 40 lbs.

I really loved running and increased my mileage too fast. I developed bursitis in my right foot,visited a podiatrist, and got orthotics.He suggested I cut back on my running and start cross training. I was not happy but decided to start biking. I enjoyed it and gradually picked up my running.

In July of lst year,I signed up for a sprint triathlon in August. I got enough swimming help so I could at least finish the swim part of the Tri. The biking and running were a little easier. My goal was just to finish and I did it!

I now have the bug and have been part of a masters swim program since Labor Day of last year. I did 7 sprint triathlons last year and three indoor tris. I also did a bunch of 5k's and finished my first half marathon in November. I met Susan and Steve and the Wilmington tri this year.

2009-

Same number of sprints and short races; one or two Olympics;maybe 2 half marathons,Maybe,Maybe,Maybe--1/2 ironman in November

Gratefully addicted,

John

2008-12-21 2:56 PM

User image

Pro
Without house

Would you mind if I tried joining in?

This will be my third season of tris, and I will be attempting my first HIM. I'm slow and overweight, and for some reason I have the urge to shoot for an IM in the next year or so.  

I'm 30 years old and currently hover around the 250 mark.  I've been there for about a year, my lowest weight to date being 233 (I will get that back, dammit!).  I'm in a relationship with a great guy who, unfortunately lives a number of states away (and may be taking an assignment in a totally different country), but he's supportive in what I'm doing and we plan to do a 1/2 mary together sometime in the future.

I haven't been doing tri-specific training for several months, instead opting for more strength type training in the form of bootcamp.  However, with the HIM on my plate (and already paid for!), I know I will have to work on that.  

I'll be honest, I can suck at groups.  I get distracted and ...(oo, look, something shiny...)

Anyway, I'll do my darndest to be a good manatee...I promise...

Will you welcome me to the pod?  (What is a group of Manatees called?  hmmm)

2008-12-21 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

Hey Manatees....I joined another mentor group already...not 'cuz I don't love you all, but just to keep on meeting more BTers and allow others to absorb Beth and Yanti's awesome knowledge.  I will stop by and say hi, as a cheerleader, if that's ok?  I have enjoyed the last year connected to you all at the hip!    Please don't forget to cheer back once in a while, ok??

--Leslie

2008-12-21 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1865941

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York

johnkav - 2008-12-21 3:26 PM Name:John History: I am 58 years old and new to endurance sports. I have been married 34 years(2 grown daughters and my wife thinks I have gone off the deep end(again). 3 years ago I weighed 205 lbs. and almost registered obese on the government scale. I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Anyway,I started walking/jogging and worked with a nutritionist for 6 months. I lost 40 lbs. I really loved running and increased my mileage too fast. I developed bursitis in my right foot,visited a podiatrist, and got orthotics.He suggested I cut back on my running and start cross training. I was not happy but decided to start biking. I enjoyed it and gradually picked up my running. In July of lst year,I signed up for a sprint triathlon in August. I got enough swimming help so I could at least finish the swim part of the Tri. The biking and running were a little easier. My goal was just to finish and I did it! I now have the bug and have been part of a masters swim program since Labor Day of last year. I did 7 sprint triathlons last year and three indoor tris. I also did a bunch of 5k's and finished my first half marathon in November. I met Susan and Steve and the Wilmington tri this year. 2009- Same number of sprints and short races; one or two Olympics;maybe 2 half marathons,Maybe,Maybe,Maybe--1/2 ironman in November Gratefully addicted, John

Welcome John!

You are among many that are gratefully addicted.  I love the way you got into doing triathlons, it actually mirrors my experience a bit.

We look forward to getting to know you!

Edited by lastcall2003 2008-12-21 9:21 PM
2008-12-21 3:42 PM
in reply to: #1865979

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
maggyruth - 2008-12-21 3:56 PM

Would you mind if I tried joining in?

This will be my third season of tris, and I will be attempting my first HIM. I'm slow and overweight, and for some reason I have the urge to shoot for an IM in the next year or so.  

I'm 30 years old and currently hover around the 250 mark.  I've been there for about a year, my lowest weight to date being 233 (I will get that back, dammit!).  I'm in a relationship with a great guy who, unfortunately lives a number of states away (and may be taking an assignment in a totally different country), but he's supportive in what I'm doing and we plan to do a 1/2 mary together sometime in the future.

I haven't been doing tri-specific training for several months, instead opting for more strength type training in the form of bootcamp.  However, with the HIM on my plate (and already paid for!), I know I will have to work on that.  

I'll be honest, I can suck at groups.  I get distracted and ...(oo, look, something shiny...)

Anyway, I'll do my darndest to be a good manatee...I promise...

Will you welcome me to the pod?  (What is a group of Manatees called?  hmmm)

Of course we welcome you Peggy!

ps

I think a group of Manatees is called a heard, but I kind of like pod

2008-12-21 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1866015

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Medusa_Ann - 2008-12-21 4:36 PM

Hey Manatees....I joined another mentor group already...not 'cuz I don't love you all, but just to keep on meeting more BTers and allow others to absorb Beth and Yanti's awesome knowledge.  I will stop by and say hi, as a cheerleader, if that's ok?  I have enjoyed the last year connected to you all at the hip!    Please don't forget to cheer back once in a while, ok??

--Leslie

Hi Leslie!

absolutely stop by and cheer!  we will miss you

2008-12-21 4:45 PM

New user

SF Bay Area

Hey Beth and Yanti

I would like to join your mentor group {cause it looks like you guys have alot of fun}

I am new to the tri-scene and have never competed in a race outside of my high school swim team or baseball team... years ago.... about four years ago I decided although "round" is a shape it's not the shape I want to be in any more, so I dropped about 60lbs with great support from my wife, and did it :-} still want to drop about 20 more

I now run or bike about two to three times a week, and looking to get back into swimming which I still consider my strength

I have my eye on a local sprint or oly tri in march I feel with the right coaching I am ready to take on this challenge, just like a lot of people I am trying to balance my work out time and family time, cause I have such a blast with my kids and wife everyday

looking forward to this new journey

~Chad

2008-12-21 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1866131

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Redf355 - 2008-12-21 5:45 PM

Hey Beth and Yanti

I would like to join your mentor group {cause it looks like you guys have alot of fun}

I am new to the tri-scene and have never competed in a race outside of my high school swim team or baseball team... years ago.... about four years ago I decided although "round" is a shape it's not the shape I want to be in any more, so I dropped about 60lbs with great support from my wife, and did it :-} still want to drop about 20 more

I now run or bike about two to three times a week, and looking to get back into swimming which I still consider my strength

I have my eye on a local sprint or oly tri in march I feel with the right coaching I am ready to take on this challenge, just like a lot of people I am trying to balance my work out time and family time, cause I have such a blast with my kids and wife everyday

looking forward to this new journey

~Chad

Hi Chad!  Welcome to the Manatees!  you are right, we do have a lot of fun!  I can totally relate to the need to balance workout, work and family time - it can be tough, but it can be done

2008-12-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1866181

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

Let's start this thing off with Beth telling everyone how her run went today......Well Beth...what say you?

Steve

2008-12-21 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1866476

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
Reno8 - 2008-12-21 9:32 PM

Let's start this thing off with Beth telling everyone how her run went today......Well Beth...what say you?

Steve

Steve, you are a rascal!

ok, so let's just say I had the most amazing run of my life , seriously I can't stop smiling

I ran my longest distance ever, 7 miles!

I'm training for a 1/2 Mary at the end of January, so I'm working my way up in the distance - having only done Oly's before, this is moving into new territory for me

I felt really good about the approach, the pace, and the outcome

the best part is that I felt like I could have kept on going

2008-12-21 9:07 PM

User image

Expert
WV

Hello.  I was wondering if I could join your merry group?  I have a lot to learn but just as much to give.   I promise I'll play nice...

NAME:  Suzie aka Dr Hammer (I do research on hammer throw among other things)STORY: The story.  I have been active all my life.  I love the adrenaline that comes with many extreme activities.   I played 4 sports in high school.  I got to concentrate on running in college.   Yes Virginia. I am one of those that like to run.  I learned how to “swim” (trust me on this one) when I had a back injury my senior year in college.  I could run on land for 10-15 minute then was sent to the pool for deep water running and laps. I did this most of the fall and was still the teams #3 runner that year.  I would use biking and swimming as a cross training tool during outdoor and summers.  Funny, I was doing all the disciplines but never put them together.  I started into tri- when I was finishing up work on a degree. 

The last 2 ½ years have been tough.  I finished my degree, changed positions 2xs, moved 2xs, and dedicated myself to work.  I thought my decrease in fitness and health was due to my inability to train properly because of all the above.  Those were contributors but a significant health issue was more the culprit.  I started testing for it in the Fall of 2007 and was diagnosed Mar 17, 2008.  I underwent surgery and treatment duing spring and summer.  This summer and fall were rough.  I have been “trying” to get back in to working out.  I get angry/mad/frustrated by the fact that I had done everything right (ate right, maintained a healthy weight, had a good fitness level, slept appropriately) but I still got it.   As a result, I rebelled against working out and eating right.  ‘Why do it?’ is what I thought.  I know I can’t have a permanent pity party. So, I am working on getting back into decent condition.  I didn’t think I was that sick or had fallen that far out of shape.  Hello!  Can you say ‘rude awakening’????  Can you say ‘smell the coffee’?

My problems are open water swim fear and finishing what I start. Swimming is my weakest portion.  I haven’t been in OW since I left UT.  I love to train but racing scares the hell out of me now.  I admit I am not used to being MOP.  I am used to finishing at the top.   I don’t like to lose.  I know I have to redefine what “winning” is.  It will help me.  I need more accountability towards my workouts and planned races so I can acheive my goals.

FAMILY STATUS:  Single.  No SO.  No pets.  No kids.  I do 4 nephews and 2 nieces who are my pride and joys.  And, I have 40 students who try to occupy all my waking hours.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently, working on regaining fitness and strength.  It has been very humbling how quickly things go south.  I have been running pretty steadily for the last 3 months.  I added wgt. training a couple weeks ago.  This was after I realized how much strength I had lost since surgery and treatment.  I am seriously weak.  After the first of the year, I will be back in the pool and on the bike.  I am able to write programs and tweak programs due to my education and work background.    So, I have a plan ready to go.   I am currently building running mileage so I can run in a 1/2 in the spring.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None. 

2009 RACES: (to start if my schedule works.  others to come.)

Mar 15th – Little Rock ½ Marathon (Anniversary run)

April – Remember the 10 – 10K

Sept 19th  - Half Redman  

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes, please.  I gained some weight over the last 2 1/2 years due to finishing a degree, moving, and health matters.  I need to lose 20 pounds. 

GOALS: 1) Balance life and work.  Currently, it seems I spend ALL of my time working toward the good of my students.  2) Lose weight.   3) HAVE MORE FUN!!! (maybe this should be first)  4)  Be more accountable for my fitness.  5) Get back in to races.  Be happy with the journey and not worry about the end.

Edited by Dr Hammer 2008-12-21 9:08 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beth and Yanti's New Manatees - FULL! :-) Rss Feed  

of 31