General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giving up riding in the city Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-22 1:16 PM

New user

Subject: Giving up riding in the city

I am looking for perspectives on riding bicycles inside Atlanta, and the associated risks.

I will lead by saying while riding in Midtown this past Tuesday I had the fortune of misjudging a driveway joint, which actually was about 3" high instead of flat.  The result is road rash on elbow, knee, and several bruises.  My hand stopped clicking today which is a plus.

While this crash was clearly my own fault due to mis-judgement on my part, it has made me think at a higher level about riding bicycles inside Atlanta.  Here's what I realize now more than before depositing my skin onto the sidewalk:

- I spend more time navigating through traffic and stopped at lights than enjoying the ride.

- I find myself in perilous conditions where getting hit by a car is more of a WHEN vs. IF question.

- If I want to enjoy myself and get a good workout, I should remove myself from dangerous riding conditions.

Also, I am on a mountain bike, and if I was to get a road bike, there would be no way to ride without trashing the bike given the roads (at least as I see things).

Have any of you had similar concerns or made a concious decision to not ride in the city?

My thought is now to just throw the bike into the back of my pickup and find some suitable riding roads, i.e. Silver Comet or some woods trails on the mtn bike.

I am an avid motorcyclist and I truly feel that riding a bicycle here is more dangerous that the motorcycle in the city.  That says something (not good) about bicycling here in the city, i.e. if the goal is fitness and fun, its just not worth it.  I hate to say it, but it sems like the reasonable point of view.

Thoughts?

Edited by ancosta 2008-08-22 1:21 PM

2008-08-22 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1621730

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Giving up riding in the city

I ride out of Buckhead which is different than Midtown in many ways.  However, I have riden for over 10 years with no problems at all.  you may need to think about driving a little North.  if you park at E Rivers school then ride out Peachtree Battle, it is safe, low traffic, etc.   You should try the Buckhead Bellyache ride on Thursday that starts from St. Phillips church.  It covers my stomping grounds a little.

Bottom line, Midtown is a true urban landscape and not very condusive to training.  head north a little and you will find the good places and not invest in lots of drive time to ride.

2008-08-22 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
It's a toughie, for sure. Personally, I get no pleasure whatsoever from riding in the city unless it's part of a group ride. Having said that, there do seem to be some intown routes/rides that bikers use frequently, ie the ride to Stone Mountain down Dekalb Ave, thru Decatur. No way to avoid the stop/start dynamic for intown riding - just the nature of the terrain. I think your intown ride tends be more of the intense intervals and hill workout vs. sustained effort variety, regardless.

Good luck with your riding..
2008-08-23 3:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Dude, I don't think riding in the city was ever even an option to begin with.  You were right on when you said you were too paranoid to even enjoy the ride.  For one thing the roads are absolutely a disgrace.  I have a buddy who is too stubborn to leave the perimeter to ride and he averages a flat almost every single ride.  For another thing, I live down here, and I see how Atl drivers treat cyclists, like the scum of the earth.  They will honk, swerve, or do anything they can to make you feel unwelcome.  Honestly I have no idea what captin is talking about, he must live in a different Atlanta, GA than I live.  If you really want a good long ride, I would say head up to Silver Comet or Cartersville.
2008-08-24 10:23 AM
in reply to: #1623291

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Jon311024 - 2008-08-23 4:54 PM
Honestly I have no idea what captin is talking about, he must live in a different Atlanta, GA than I live. If you really want a good long ride, I would say head up to Silver Comet or Cartersville.

I live in Buckhead which is much more residential if you go west from Peachtree.  I have ridden here for over 10 years and have had a very low rate of issues.  In fact, I stopped going to the group rides North of town because the soccer moms and church dads would come dangerously close to the pack and there was no shoulder.  We have no less than 6 safe group rides between Monday and Sunday.  So, I think I know what I am talking about in my neck of the woods.  I clearly stated Midtown and Buckhead were two completely different places.  I would not even try to workout in Midtown.  Keep in mind, rude drivers are not limited to the urban landscape.  You can find them every where is metro Atlanta.

2008-08-24 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
The ATL
Many great routes in Buckhead. Go to www.sadlebred.com. I ride in Buckhead 2 to 3 times per week as do many many groups and cyclists with no problem. I would no ride in midtown though. No good routes, rough roads.

2008-08-24 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1623894

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Silver member
thecaptin - 2008-08-24 11:23 AM

Jon311024 - 2008-08-23 4:54 PM
Honestly I have no idea what captin is talking about, he must live in a different Atlanta, GA than I live. If you really want a good long ride, I would say head up to Silver Comet or Cartersville.

I live in Buckhead which is much more residential if you go west from Peachtree.  I have ridden here for over 10 years and have had a very low rate of issues.  In fact, I stopped going to the group rides North of town because the soccer moms and church dads would come dangerously close to the pack and there was no shoulder.  We have no less than 6 safe group rides between Monday and Sunday.  So, I think I know what I am talking about in my neck of the woods.  I clearly stated Midtown and Buckhead were two completely different places.  I would not even try to workout in Midtown.  Keep in mind, rude drivers are not limited to the urban landscape.  You can find them every where is metro Atlanta.

captin speaks truth..West of Peachtree has plenty of riders, in groups and solo.
2008-08-25 12:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
I will leave it up to you guys then! Good luck =)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Giving up riding in the city Rss Feed