Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Where to buy tri gear? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-01 11:29 AM

Subject: Where to buy tri gear?

Hi everyone! I am new here. I am doing my first tri in September and just wondering where everyone buys their suits from. I am in southern ontario and have searched online but was wondering where else i can look.

2011-07-01 12:29 PM
in reply to: #3576903

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Where to buy tri gear?

Welcome to the wonderful world of tri! 

Well, depending on where you are there are different places.

In Toronto, Endurosport in Leaside is an actual multisport retailer.  I think there's now a tri store in London and one in Burlington. 

Also, in general you can find various things as you need them at bike shops, running stores and swim stores. 

Another good place is at races - some specialty retailers will be there often with sales where you can get tri-specific things like wetsuits, trisuits, race belts, bikes, etc. 

But mostly for starting out things don't need to be overly complicated ...  You can do just fine at Sportchek picking up goggles or a speedo endurance swim suit. 

2011-07-01 3:13 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-01 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3577379

Expert
In recent years most of my stuff has come from multisport zone in London.  One of the owners is my coach so I get a discount there.  Before they opened I kind of pieced everything together from different store.  So night to be able to get everything in one place that I am already in on a weekly basis.  I used to buy sugoi stuff from Runner Choice in Waterloo (I'm not sure they have as much selection in London).  I like LG stuff better now though.
2011-07-01 9:25 PM

Master
Rural Ontario

Welcome. I'm sure you'll enjoy triathlon as much as we all do and you'll find Beginner Triathlete to be a great little social community for us to chat about our addiction passion. How did you decide to try a triathlon?

Like people already mentioned, all you really need is a helmet and bike (any working bike will do - mountain, cruiser, hybrid), some goggles, shorts and running shoes. All the rest is just frosting.

Most of the bigger bike and running stores carry some tri gear. You'll notice tri gear is expensive.

Here in Oakville you can get some tri gear at Cyclepath.

Hamilton/Burlington has New World Cycle.

Mississauga has Gears Bike store.

Toronto has tons including Endurosport - a Tri specific store.

Milton & Markham have Runnnig Free

Scarborough has Dornella's Bike store 

Running Room Outlet store near Sherway Gardens used to sell Tri Tops for cheap - I'm not sure if they have any left.

The internet is a good place as well - there are a number of places that will ship for free to Canada. you can try GearandTraining.com , probikekit.com, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com or http://www.wiggle.co.uk .

Which Triathlon are you registerd for?

2011-07-02 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3577788

Thanks for the info!

I've always wanted to do triathlons but have spent the last decade having kids. So I'm finally getting time to myself to train.  I've maintained myself in decent shape because of always been active at the gym working out. I love endurance sports but not a huge fan of running on its own, so I think a tri is a good fit.

2011-07-02 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3577788

I'm doing the Guelph mini tri in Sept. I know its a small one but its a start and I dont want to overwhelm myself. I'm hoping to than do a sprint next spring.

I've been looking through this site for a few months and it has definitely been helpful. I checked out the Welland tri last week (thats where I live) and I think I'm gonna love it. I have a truly competitve spirit!

Thanks again for all the help!

Sarah

2011-07-04 1:20 PM

Veteran
Elmira, ON

Hi Littleman.  Just read your post about being in Welland!  If your heading upto Guelph, don't worry about looking for bikes up this way.  Stay away from the local stores in Guelph/Kitchener/Waterloo.  You can get them way less expensive by travelling down the road to Hamilton, Mississauga, etc.  Like several hundred dollars cheaper!  (I should be picking up my bike this week and saved big bucks by heading into Toronto.  Almost $500 less than the best price in R.O.W.

Edited by TheCrownsOwn 2011-07-04 1:23 PM
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Where to buy tri gear? Rss Feed