General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you run in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-15 4:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
Subject: How do you run in the rain

Thought I would ask all of you experienced experts out there.....

I have a long run tomorrow of 12 miles and there is rain the forecast, but we're not going to be let off the hook unless there's lightning or flooding....

So here's the question...what is the best way to prepare for running in the rain? I'm concerned with blisters on my feet since I got one last week on the bottom of my toe on my 10 mile run. I usually wear a running cap, should I still go with that in the rain?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!!

2008-08-15 5:06 PM
in reply to: #1607171

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: How do you run in the rain

I used to fear cold/rainy/windy conditions for training and racing.

But then I did the Surf City Half earlier this year and I don't fear it any more

I figured out that running in the rain is no different than running in cool weather. I never felt cold and regardless of precipitation, I am usually wet for most of my longer runs anyway. I did notice my shoes were a little heavier than normal but I wore thinner socks so they would not absorb as much water during the race.

The only bummer was that I had to take a shuttle back to my car and I got quite cold soon after the race was over:

I wore a tech shirt, fleece arm warmers over a Tri Suit with pockets so I had a place to stash my warmers if I got too warm in them. And my trusty Gu Throw away gloves that I actually did not throw away.

You can try making a poncho out of a hefty trash bag to keep you somewhat dry in the early miles but I tend to overheat in them and usually toss it by the first mile

Embrace the bad weather as an opportunity to train in conditions you might very well find yourself racing in. Any race you can be better prepared than the competition is a good one

2008-08-15 5:06 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Happens more than I want here in the summer in S. Florida. I wear dry-fit socks that seem to do good job of keeping blisters away, but in a downpoor or puddles, not a big help. I do wear a visor and that helps with rain as well as sun glasses with rain-ex applied for better site.

I normally go without a shirt so that is non-issue and otherwise, if there is no lightening, I look forward to the cool down! Dry the shoes out overnight and ready to go... Learned to keep I-pod shuffle in a zip bag due to sweat issues, but also helps protect when raining...

Enjoy the "die-hard" looks you get when people pass you in there cars! Most the time they assume your an idiot or passionate and I like to assume the latter.
2008-08-15 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
you move one foot in front of the other   i would recommend body glide on the feet. . if possible, you could carry extra socks (in a plastic bag or something), but i don't know if it would be worth it.  i think it just depends on how hard it is raining.
2008-08-15 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
After running in the rain and snow a few times last fall/winter I found two ways to keep blisters in check when feet are wet: wool socks rather than synthetic ones and, in more moderate conditions, running shoes with GoreTex. Yes, they're a bit heavier but keep the toes dry for at least 30 minutes or so. When it really comes down hard from the beginning, combine the shoes with the wool socks and you'll be okay. I got the Salomon XA Comp GTX trail running shoes. Love them! I don't know if they make road running shoes with GoreTex though...
2008-08-15 5:55 PM

User image

San Antonio
What about slipping? Is slipping on a wet road and falling a big risk when running in the rain? That's probably my biggest fear of running in wet weather.

2008-08-15 7:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Thanks guys. I'm not afraid to run in inclement weather....I've run in a t-storm before (not on purpose) and got thoroughly drenched and lightning only struck just as I got back to the car!

My concern is the length of the run, my first 12 mile long run, and what I can do to prevent blisters and chafing while running in those conditions. I don't mind getting wet, afterall, I do triathlons and I can swim if it does flood.

Since I'm a girl, I can't very well go shirtless. I plan to wear my regular tech material tank and running shorts, don't have gore-tex for shoes, so I'll settle on my running shoes. I don't have time to run out to buy fancy socks, nor do I know if there are any stores here that sell the dri-fit ones. I will use Bodyglide on my feet though, I've never done that before and as for trash bags or whatever to keep dry....unless it's already raining at the start, I'll probably take my chances since I heat up easily. I think I'll stay with the cap to use the bill as shelter from the rain should it pour.

Anyone with any ideas? No, I'm not wearing goggles on the run.....

2008-08-15 7:17 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut
I got caught in a downpour a week or so ago and was very thankful I had my visor on.  The rain just dripped off the brim and stayed out of my eyes.  I was not happy that my ipod got soaked but since you know rain is in the forecast I doubt you will be bringing yours!  I enjoy running in the rain.  Hope your run is a good one!
2008-08-15 7:35 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
tape up the blisters?  I usually get caught in the rain, but it's usually a welcome relief.  The hardest part is getting out the door when it's pouring!   I would def. wear a visor or hat..body glide and regular tech shirt. It'll make all those rainless runs seem easy
2008-08-15 7:42 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
The hat will help...for chaffing worries, be it feet or body (like sports bra area, waist band area) use body glide. It is what I use and it hasn't failed me yet.  Do keep an eye out for really slick spots--if they look slick, chances are it is (shiny, oily, etc).  But, other than that, it might make the run a little more fun and maybe a little cooler.  Just have some nice dry stuff to change into and it makes that post run feeling even better! Hope it's nice and dry, but then again, it's always nice to have trained in some bad weather so you know you can handle it should race day have crappy weather too!
2008-08-15 8:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-08-15 9:36 PM

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I love training in a light drizzle, it keeps me cool. You'll generate enough heat that you don't have to worry about getting too hot even if you are wet. Don't wear any cotton, either your shirt, shorts or socks.

Depending on the temperature, you'll need different strategies for what you were in addition to a tech T & shorts. If it's warm & wet, then just go run. as it cools down, the armwarmers mentioned before are agood start. You should also have a lightweight water resistant jacket that breathes well.
2008-08-16 3:28 AM

Expert
White House, TN

Don't overlook the mental boost of training in the rain.  I always liked training/ racing in the rain because I felt like my competitors were probably taking the day off or were complaining more about the weather than focusing on their race.

Also, when you get home, stuff your wet shoes full of newspapers to dry.  I wouldn't put them in direct sunlight but definitely newspaper.  They may even be ready to go the next day. Cool

2008-08-16 6:28 AM

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

If it is going to be a really hard rain, I will use more BodyGlide, especially where my HRM strap hits my chest.  I might also wear a baseball hat to keep the rain out of my eyes for as long as it holds out.  Other than that, no change.  Rain running is really not bad at all.

2008-08-16 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1607650

Veteran
wear as little clothing as possible.  I usually wear short shorts no shirt.  You might run your best time ever.  Rain rocks,  lightning sucks
2008-08-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1607209

SauseEnte - 2008-08-15 6:26 PM After running in the rain and snow a few times last fall/winter I found two ways to keep blisters in check when feet are wet: wool socks rather than synthetic ones and, in more moderate conditions, running shoes with GoreTex. Yes, they're a bit heavier but keep the toes dry for at least 30 minutes or so. When it really comes down hard from the beginning, combine the shoes with the wool socks and you'll be okay. I got the Salomon XA Comp GTX trail running shoes. Love them! I don't know if they make road running shoes with GoreTex though...

x2 on the wool socks. I love Smartwool socks and wore a pair of those during the 10-miler that I ran where it rained/was pretty wet basically the entire morning. After the race, my socks had definitely gotten wet, but wool doesn't absorb water the way other materials do. I had no blisters and my feet were comfortable during the whole race - even stepping in a couple of ginormous puddles.

2008-08-16 1:43 PM

Veteran
South Carolina
Be careful with any electronics, such as MP3 player.  I got mine damp last week, and it died a horrible death   Now I'm going to have to spend too much $$$ to replace it!
2008-08-16 1:52 PM

Funny, I just went for a 14-miler yesterday and it POURED from mile 8 to 11, cars pulling over to the side of the road and everything.  Like you mentioned, I had a hat on which allows you to see well and secondly, I thought about all the boys and girls who just did Lake Placid and it poured all day!!  Mentally I said to myself, "If my BT friends can do a full IRONMAN in the rain, I can do a two hour run in the rain."

After my long runs I always take an ice bath, and I sware (at least for me) it helps with the blisters.  I also put lotion on my blisters after I take a shower and dry my feet.  I just use regular Asics running socks and for the most-part they keep me blister free and dry pretty quickly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you run in the rain Rss Feed