General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well, that was annoying. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-19 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Well, that was annoying.
In two of my three races now, I have gotten a horrible stitch in the center of my abs when starting the run. It's unbearably painful, to the point where I have to stop and try to stretch it out or run in a really awkward position to make it less painful.

It never happens in training and I rarely do brick workouts, so I'm thinking it has something to do with coming from the bike to the run.

I've been looking around the internet and can't seem to figure out what's causing it or how to get rid of it. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is/how to fix it?

Edited to say - During my last race, I could actually feel it starting about 6 miles into the 12 mile bike leg.

Edited by fendermh1027 2008-08-19 9:10 PM

2008-08-19 9:15 PM
in reply to: #1615064

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs
Subject: RE: Well, that was annoying.
It could be that you are drinking too much on the bike or during T2.  
2008-08-19 9:26 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
it could be that you are pushing too hard for the level of conditioning you are at.  Bricks will definitely help.
2008-08-19 9:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
I thought I read that side stitches are cramps in your diaphragm, but not sure what causes them or what gets rid of them.  I think it might have to do with conditioning.  For me, I used to get them when I was starting off, but as I have improved my conditioning, they have gone away.
2008-08-19 9:32 PM
in reply to: #1615126

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
TriToy - 2008-08-19 9:26 PM

it could be that you are pushing too hard for the level of conditioning you are at.  Bricks will definitely help.

That's what I was thinking. In training, I'm never "out of breath", but when I race I tend to push everything to a much higher level and am constantly straining just to keep my breathing under control. I'm actually in the process of looking at HRM's to keep that under control.

That could be it...but if you're right, then I'm mad at myself for NOT getting the pain in one of my races!

I don't think it's drinking too much - last race I only drank a 1/4 bottle of water before the pain starting settling in.
2008-08-19 9:36 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-08-19 9:38 PM

Denver

fendermh1027 - 2008-08-19 9:09 PM In two of my three races now, I have gotten a horrible stitch in the center of my abs when starting the run. It's unbearably painful, to the point where I have to stop and try to stretch it out or run in a really awkward position to make it less painful. It never happens in training and I rarely do brick workouts, so I'm thinking it has something to do with coming from the bike to the run. I've been looking around the internet and can't seem to figure out what's causing it or how to get rid of it. Has anyone else experienced this or know what it is/how to fix it? Edited to say - During my last race, I could actually feel it starting about 6 miles into the 12 mile bike leg.

Ditto.......and I DO practice brick workouts but for some reason when I get into a race, specifically right into the run portion, I start getting a bad side stitch and have to walk on portions of the run. Im still trying to figure this out.

2008-08-19 9:38 PM

Master
Olney, MD

I've had issues with a deep muscle cramp in my ab (just the lower right part! )  I get relief from it by pressing on that area with my hand.  It actually left bruising after one of my races.. yikes! 

I think I figured it out this weekend though and, for me,I think it has to do with breathing.  Deeper controlled breaths don't seem lead to cramping, but short shallow breaths seem to make me cramp up.  I was running very slowly this weekend so I'm pretty sure it wasn't my pace, but I was having issues breathing due to congestion from a cold. The whole run was a cramp fest from about 5 minutes into it!

Edited by vball03umd 2008-08-19 9:39 PM
2008-08-19 9:46 PM

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
I was once told to breath in thru the nose as much as possible while running and that the cramps (rule out undigested food in the system) are caused by too much oxygen, and that breathing in thru the nose as much as possible reduces issues caused by too much 02. It does seem to work for me.
2008-08-19 9:53 PM

Veteran
El Segundo, CA

I've had this same issue- occasionally during training and in 1 of my 2 races thus far. Kagoscuba posted some great tips in a different thread: (http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=128106)

I've been trying these lately and have had some success. Good luck!

2008-08-19 10:48 PM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL

check out wikipedia 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_stitch 

2008-08-19 10:57 PM

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I've had the same experience, not often in training, but bad in race or race-like situations. I tried the deep rhythmic breathing and it helped immensely. I focus on matching my breaths to my stride. I might do two strides of breathe in, three strides of breathe out. Then I adjust as the course and my fatigue changes, but I always make SOME pattern. It seems to help, and it also helps me calm down and focus because it clears my head of any junk.
2008-08-19 11:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
LOL. This first option in wikipedia made my day.

***********From Wikipedia************

Preventing a side stitch

* Improve fitness
* Strengthen the diaphragm by using exercises such as those that aid respiratory rehabilitation[1]
* Strengthen core muscles (abdominals, lower back, obliques)
* Limit consumption of food and drink two to three hours before exercising (in particular, drinks of high carbohydrate content and osmolarity (reconstituted fruit juices))
* Drink water beforehand to prevent muscle cramps
* Warm up properly (Stretch before running for a long period of time)
* Gradually increase exercise intensity when running
* Exhale when the left foot hits the ground, and inhale when the right foot hits the ground[2]
* Run on soft surfaces
2008-08-20 12:04 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
I started getting that cramping issue in some of my earlier season bricks and one race that I was in. I figured it had to do with being bent down for the whole bike, so at my last race I finished the last mile of the bike up on hoods instead of in my drops where I normally raced.
Either I go more fit, or that fixed the problem... try both!
2008-08-20 9:26 AM

Expert
White House, TN

I read somewhere that increased core strength can help alleviate side stitches.  It may have been in the latest Triathlete Magazine.  Not sure tho...

2008-08-20 9:40 AM

Champion
Dallas, TX
OH! I had this issue for a long time. It was the oddest thing. Training, wouldn't happen. Race day, BAM! this horrible side stitch.

Here is what I figured out... I was pushing too hard on the bike in my races. I was racing at a higher exerction level than what I did in training.

I went get to a race and tell myself I was going to go ALL OUT on the bike. And boy did I. Like you, the side stitch would start on the bike... and continue through the run until the end of the race. Miserable.

My fitness level was not up to par with what I wanted to race at. Plain and simple. So I have since learned how to read my body, my breathing and I know when to back off on the bike some, so I don't get a side stitch and I can make it to the run without one starting there as well.

This last year with my IM training, and all the riding I've been doing... I can now race at a 19-20 mph average in an Oly AND make it to the run without getting a side stitch.

You really need to learn to listen to your body in a race and to know when to back off so your side stitch doesn't pop up... additionally... you have to train like you race. The effort levels should be the same.

MORE... so I looked at your training logs for the past month.

I see that in training you keep anywhere from a 16-19 mph average on the bike. But 19 being your top average (not sure if I even saw that for a ride)... with most of your rides being in the 17 mph range. If you ride a lot of areas with few traffic lights and stop signs (which I think you do) then it's a accurate average (I ride where there are a lot of lights, so my training average is a bit slower than my race pace).

In your race last Sunday you did a 19 mph average. Which is probably a bit above your fitness level.... and thus you got a side cramp on the bike 1/2 way in.

Now, I might also ponder that maybe your swim contributed to that side cramp on the bike. On your training swims (if the per 100 time is accurate) you are doing 2:00-2:10 per 100 yards. Yet in the race you did 1:45. That's a HUGE time difference. You were possibly working above your fitness level there as well.

So first you swim faster than usual... then you bike faster than usual... and you pay for it on the run with a side cramp.

Edited by KSH 2008-08-20 9:47 AM

2008-08-20 11:01 AM

Chicago

I've definitely been (and still going through) the battle with side stitches.  I wouldn't even call them that sometimes...more like 10 of the worst side/stomach cramps all at the same time as soon as I stepped off the bike in my only oly distance tri (last year chicago accenture).

It certainly has to do with fitness level...I do do some brick workouts, but the intensity is so much higher in a race and the transitions are always quicker.  Basically, I found my heart rate never gets a chance to slow down at all...you get out of the swim and in a workout you usually towel off a bit, take a little time to put your bike shoes on and everything...maybe a workout transition take 5-6 minutes, but it gives your body a chance to just calm down a bit.  In the race, you don't want to lose that time so you just hammer it over to the bike where you jump on and try to get to your race pace right away, still breathing heavy from the swim since transition only took 1:30 or whatever.

But, for me anyway, it has even more to do with nutrition/hydration.  In the Chicago race you have to check your stuff into transition by 5:45...my heat didn't go out until almost 10:00.  So, now I'm up and have nothing to do except get nervous and eat and drink way more than I typically would before training, which I usually do first thing in the morning...just some water and that's it.  So everything was screwed up for the race having to be awake for 4-5 hours before going off.  I wanted to make sure I was hydrated so I kept drinking water and gatorade.  Also kept eating stuff like bananas and granola bars because I WAS hungry and knew my body might need some nutrition come 2 hrs into the race.  Big mistake though...that was the hardest 6 miles I've ever run...felt like I was going to puke and was in terrible pain the whole way.  Amazingly still kept a half way decent pace and finished without walking though.

So, same race is coming up this weekend...I'm hopefully going to learn from my mistakes and have a much better run.  Also, hopefully my wave will go off earlier so I don't have 4 hours to sit around and get nervous by watching people looking like they're going to die on the swim.

I think this issue is a little different for everyone and you just have to find what works for your body...I'm still trying to do that...we'll see where I'm at this weekend!

2008-08-20 11:10 AM

Champion
the colony texas

it's definately one of two things.. I'm certain of this.. write it down in stone my young friend

1. You are pregnant
2. see a HR monitor floating in the pool during the swim caused you to go to fast for the rest of the race

2008-08-20 11:16 AM

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Deep Rhythmic breathing, with full exhale will help solve your problem.

Not 100 percent clear on this next part cause it's been 2 years, but at USAT coaching school, one of the instructors associated it with what foot you exhaled on. Something like 80 percent of runners exhale on the left foot strike, and 20 percent on the right.. exhaling on the left foot strike was how this cramping could be avoided. Also, it is definitely a muscle / tendon cramp, and you can loosen it by reaching under your right rib cage at the Diaphram level, and stretching the cramping area. This was alluded to in an earlier post in this thread.
2008-08-20 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1616212

Champion
Dallas, TX
Gaarryy - 2008-08-20 11:10 AM

it's definately one of two things.. I'm certain of this.. write it down in stone my young friend

1. You are pregnant
2. see a HR monitor floating in the pool during the swim caused you to go to fast for the rest of the race

Gary, I don't think you added anything useful to this thread... try again

BTW folks, Gary and I are friends and I am just kidding around with him!
2008-08-20 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1616590

Champion
the colony texas
KSH - 2008-08-20 1:08 PM

1. You are pregnant

Gary, I don't think you added anything useful to this thread... try again BTW folks, Gary and I are friends and I am just kidding around with him!

Yea.. so stop with the PM"s people

Mr Bib# 1532

2008-08-20 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1616590

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
KSH - 2008-08-20 1:08 PM

1. You are pregnant

Gary, I don't think you added anything useful to this thread... try again BTW folks, Gary and I are friends and I am just kidding around with him!

Actually, he's right...I just got the results today. I'm having a baby!

I'm pretty sure it's a combination of pushing too hard and shallow breathing, based on what everyone's said. My swim time in the race is pretty much on target with what I do in the pool, since in the pool I don't stop my watch for my breaks and I usually do kicking sets which take me forever!!!  I do bike in a rural area with no stoplights or stop signs, so you're right about pushing the bike harder on race day than I do in training.

Next race I'm going to try and compete within the parameters of my training, but honestly I think it will be tough to not go all-out again. 

2008-08-20 2:13 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

How about your position on the bike???  It could be that your position during racing is really constricting your chest/lungs/core and the increased effort of racing is stressing things a lot.  Then when you get out on the run and elongate your torso it "reacts" to it?

The other thing as people have mentioned is fitness and pacing ...... I got some chest/lung cramps this weekend, but I know it was because I was pushing the pace on the run a little bit more than I should have in certain sections.  Slowed down a little, altered my breathing a little and it worked itself out.

Edited by Daremo 2008-08-20 2:15 PM
2008-08-20 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1616780

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Daremo - 2008-08-20 2:13 PM

How about your position on the bike???  It could be that your position during racing is really constricting your chest/lungs/core and the increased effort of racing is stressing things a lot.

I thought that as well. The first time I got it, I was in the drops on my bike for the whole bike leg of the race. I figured that had to be the reason, since I'd never trained in the drops (I visited my LBS the day before the race and they suggested I ride that way). The next race I rode on the hoods and didn't get the stitch - problem solved, I thought. This last race, I was on the hoods the whole time again and it came back. Aggravating...held back and still got it.

2008-08-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1616797

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Riding on the hoods and holding back are two completely different things .........

It is just as easy to hammer hard and compress your chest when on the hoods.  If you do not consciously think about it you'll often overly tense muscles when going hard.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Well, that was annoying. Rss Feed  

of 2