General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some swim thoughts to share Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-16 12:35 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Some swim thoughts to share

During my swim this morning I had a few thoughts I figured I'd share to anyone that wanted to read them. I haven't been swimming nearly as much as I normally do over the winter and I can definitely feel the difference in the water.  The last couple days I have been swimming with an old swimming friend, watching his stroke made me think about mine a bit and by making a few adjustments started feeling a difference.

When I swim alone I usually warm up with a 1000 swim keeping a steady stroke count and working on a loooong efficient stroke. The last couple days I did some 200's and 100's for warm-up and noticed my stroke count increasing in the 100's this morning. What I noticed was in the 100's I was thinking "fast" and shortening my stroke on both ends. I was starting my pull too soon and ending my pull at my waist. This is a very common mistake, spinning your arms fast doesn't make you go fast. Increasing your turnover while pushing the same amount of water WILL make you go faster.

How do you achieve this? By maximizing your efficiency in the water of course. I was using 2 visuals that I learned back in age group swimming and 1 that I just learned last year during a Masters workout when the coach told me I looked like a tugboat in the water.

First - Rotisserie swimming. Picture a large rotisserie rod entering the top of your head and coming out your rear end. This is the axis that you rotate on while you swim. If you feel your head or hips weaving side to side then think of the pain that would cause if you were on the rotisserie rod. OUCH!!! What usually causes this zig-zagging is reaching across the centerline when your hand enters the water. Your hands should enter at shoulder width and begin your pull. If you are turning your head to breathe instead of rotation your shoulders, that will also cause you to cross the center line. Start your rotation from your hips as you begin your recovery and you will find it almost effortless to rotate your shoulders in order to get a breath. The other thing you will notice is you won't need to actually turn your head to get a breath, it will be in the right position to take a breath.

Second - When you begin your pull, or "catch" the water, picture yourself reaching over a barrel. So .... your hand enters the water in front of the shoulder and you reach around an imaginary barrel to catch the water with not only your hand but your entire forearm as well. (The modern term for this is EVF or Early Vertical Forearm.) Most people, even strong competitive swimmers, when they get tired will begin to drop their elbow and lose the entire "catch" part of the stroke. When you get that barrel under your chin, you are going to begin your rotation to finish your stroke waaaay down by your thigh.

Last but not least - Battleship vs Tugboat. When the coach told me I was swimming like a tugboat he wasn't saying I was swimming slow, I was just pushing more water than I needed to. He told me to picture a battleship and how the bow just cuts through the waves. To achieve this in the pool he had me leave my hand extended until my recovery arm was out of the water. Almost like doing a catch-up drill but pulling before the recovering hand enters the water. (I want to hear how many of you are doing this in your chair right now. ) I took a 1/2 a stroke off per length when he showed me this. The way I relay this to the kids that I am coaching is to count to 2 before you start each pull. The modern term for this is Front Quadrant Swimming and is the most efficient technique for OWS, IMHO.

This was a bit long winded and I hope it's not too confusing. I am sure some of the swimmers out there have other ideas or comments. Let's hear them

2008-12-16 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1856764

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Some swim thoughts to share

Thank you very much for posting this Bob.  I have really neglected my swimming the last 3 months and have noticed a serious decline in the few times I have been in the water.  If a person were to take each point you mentioned and worked on them INDIVIDUALLY for awhile until mastered they could become a mighty fine swimmer.  I think I'll start with delaying the pull. Thanks again.

2008-12-16 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY

I'm focusing on swimming this winter, and have been working on your first and second points for the last couple weeks. 

FQS is new to me. I just googled and found several articles describing it.  It makes a lot of sense and is something I've never thought about before. Going to add to my list of technique issues to work on this winter.  Thanks.

2008-12-16 1:13 PM

User image

Master
syracuse

great post with great tips.  I am a new swimmer, and love to read as many tips as I can. 

great post! 

Binghamton?...not too far from Syracuse...with the weather, you'd figure you would be swimming a lot int he pool?  

2008-12-16 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

As for noticing the difference in your strokes in your shortened warmup, I've noticed that as well.  I typically will do a 500 wu, but if I do break it down into one or two hundreds, I actually do different strokes instead the regular old front crawl.  Maybe an IM or two.  Then, on a longer day, I'll even throw in a 500 crawl in the middle of the sets, just to get back focused on pulling to the thighs and keeping that rotation on a line.

Really, really good stuff that I will be stealing and passing on as advice to others at the pool.

2008-12-16 4:26 PM

Veteran
Portland, OR

Great tips!!!  Thank you.  Over the last 3 months I've knocked a fair amount of time off my hundreds (8-10s) doing exactly what you're talking about.  I've been stuck somewhere in the 1:40 range for a while but now I'm getting close to 1:30 on my longer swims with the same effort.

Also, my coach brought in a band for my feet last week.  I used it with a pull buoy and had some great results.  I wasn't aware of how much I compensated with my legs.  without being able to use my legs I zig-zagged everywhere.  Once I caught on it really felt like I was on axis.  After I took it off I was much more aware of what my body was doing in the water.  Anyway, it might be worth a shot if your'e intersted.

Thanks again.

2008-12-16 5:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-12-16 5:49 PM

Extreme Veteran
Indiana

I know we are strangers, but can I just say "I LOVE YOU "? !!!  Your post makes so much sense, I LOVE word pictures, now this is a post I can use. I am pretty new to swimming, and this EVF has been so hard for me to GET !  HOWEVER, the imaginary barrell, that is something I can work with !!!

Many thanks for the time you took to write this and share with us !

2008-12-16 11:14 PM
in reply to: #1857460

Bob
Binghamton, NY
maxmansmom - 2008-12-16 6:49 PM

I know we are strangers, but can I just say "I LOVE YOU "? !!!  Your post makes so much sense, I LOVE word pictures, now this is a post I can use. I am pretty new to swimming, and this EVF has been so hard for me to GET !  HOWEVER, the imaginary barrell, that is something I can work with !!!

Many thanks for the time you took to write this and share with us !

LOL Thanks stranger!! Believe me when I say that it is my pleasure and I am glad you could make sense of the babble.

Fred - I'm working on another post filled with swim advice just for you and IMLP!!  

2008-12-17 1:09 AM

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Great Post.
2008-12-17 6:21 AM

Expert
oregon ave,
Thanks for the tips.  I am always looking for ways to improve my swimming.  When you talk about over around a barrel and catching the water, as you arm begins to pull back should your hand and forearm be pointing downward with your elbow up or should your hand and forearm be more like a "L" going across your body?  I am trying to visualize it.

2008-12-17 7:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Thanks for the tips
2008-12-17 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1858121

Bob
Binghamton, NY

mikep - 2008-12-17 7:21 AM Thanks for the tips.  I am always looking for ways to improve my swimming.  When you talk about over around a barrel and catching the water, as you arm begins to pull back should your hand and forearm be pointing downward with your elbow up or should your hand and forearm be more like a "L" going across your body?  I am trying to visualize it.

Your question brings up another great way to visualize your stroke. To answer your question, as you start your pull your hand and forearm are at an angle, not straight. There is no exact angle, mine tends to be a little more than 90 degrees.

The next visual is to stand in front of a mirror, bend over at the waist and "shadow" swim. Take note of your hand entry making sure its in front of the shoulder and not in front of your head. Watch your catch and look for a high elbow and a slightly bent arm. Finally watch your shoulders and make sure you are getting a good rotation. With your arms fully extended, you should not be able to see the shoulder of your trailing arm. If you can see your shoulder, you are not rotating enough. BTW - After doing this for a few minutes you will see that it's actually a pretty good shoulder workout!

2008-12-17 7:23 AM

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Nice post.  I have the same problem, I mean swimming like a tugboat.  By the way do you have any bacon?
2008-12-17 7:36 AM

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Great post, and very helpful.  Just proving yet again that Bob Stocks Rocks!! 
2008-12-17 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1858121

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
mikep - 2008-12-17 7:21 AM

Thanks for the tips.  I am always looking for ways to improve my swimming.  When you talk about over around a barrel and catching the water, as you arm begins to pull back should your hand and forearm be pointing downward with your elbow up or should your hand and forearm be more like a "L" going across your body?  I am trying to visualize it.

Rather than a barrel, I visualize a surf board, like I'm laying on it and have to paddle, its forces me to keep my arm some what at an angle under the water and hold my elbow up/out a bit. When I notice my stroke shortening up on the back end, I try to remember to make sure my thumb brushes my leg on the way out, prevents me from pulling up to soon and allows a full pull.

2008-12-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1857418

Champion
MA
PennState - 2008-12-16 6:22 PM

Another trick/drill that I use to work on the high elblow (EVF) is trying to do as much of a lap as I can without breathing. Look up a little so you can see your elbows, and you will be surprised how much they sometimes drop. Try to correct this and keep those elbows high. Your speed will improve a lot!

I use a freestyle snorkel so I can swim whole length of the pool watching my catch and my elbows. It allows me to get the hang of high elbows EVF without adding in my crappy non rotisserie breathing which screws up lots of other stuff. I have found using different tools I'm able to work on one part of my stroke and improve it without the other issues I have hindering me. Freestyle snorkel allows me to focus on my front quadrant and EVF swimming so I get the right feel and feel fast for me. 

2008-12-17 10:15 AM

Modesto, California

My swim clinic video two weeks ago exposed that my stroke above water looks good and below the water looks bad. My left elbow drops when I extend, and my right arm is not much better.

My masters coach reviewed the video and made several suggestions, specifically my EVF.

1.  get a snorkel so you can see what you are doing wrong,and how it looks when you do it correctly under water.
  2. strengthen the muscles that stabilize EVF using stretch cords.
  3. do fist drills, slow and fast speed.
2008-12-17 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1858592

Bob
Binghamton, NY
nevergivin - 2008-12-17 11:15 AM

My swim clinic video two weeks ago exposed that my stroke above water looks good and below the water looks bad. My left elbow drops when I extend, and my right arm is not much better.

My masters coach reviewed the video and made several suggestions, specifically my EVF.

1.  get a snorkel so you can see what you are doing wrong,and how it looks when you do it correctly under water.

Excellent suggestions!! The stretch cords are great. I'll add one more to the list, sculling with your hands in the catch position. Keep your elbows high and prepare for some bicep and tricep burn!!

2008-12-17 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1858707

Champion
MA
rstocks3 - 2008-12-17 11:49 AM

Excellent suggestions!! The stretch cords are great. I'll add one more to the list, sculling with your hands in the catch position. Keep your elbows high and prepare for some bicep and tricep burn!!

Bob, I'm sitting trying to get what you mean. Would it be with high elbows and upper arm not moving but just forearm and hand or could you explain more.

If you get freestyle snorkel my swim coach recommended getting a nose clip as it is almost impossible to put outward slight pressure out your nose using the snorkel to prevent you from geting water up your nose. I don't use it for anything other than the snorkel.

2008-12-17 1:20 PM
in reply to: #1859157

Bob
Binghamton, NY
KathyG - 2008-12-17 2:02 PM
rstocks3 - 2008-12-17 11:49 AM

Bob, I'm sitting trying to get what you mean. Would it be with high elbows and upper arm not moving but just forearm and hand or could you explain more.

If you get freestyle snorkel my swim coach recommended getting a nose clip as it is almost impossible to put outward slight pressure out your nose using the snorkel to prevent you from geting water up your nose. I don't use it for anything other than the snorkel.

That is correct Kathy. If you put both arms out in front of you with your hands draped over an imaginary barrel keep your upper arms in that position and scull with your hands and forearms using your elbows as the pivit point. I know you're doing this in front of your computer, right?

2008-12-17 1:25 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Thanks for the tips!

2008-12-17 1:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
Gig Harbor
rstocks3 - 2008-12-16 10:35 AM

(I want to hear how many of you are doing this in your chair right now. )

Hahaha how did you know?

2008-12-17 1:44 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Bob,

Great stuff as usual.  You mentioned front quadrant swimming (FQS).  Until about October, I was entering the water just infront of my head, extending out and then going over the barrel.  When I was at my full extension my hand was about 6" under the waterline. 

From here, I would go over the barrel (granted, my elbow drops all the time).  I was at masters and one of the swim coaches pulled me aside.  He had me not enter the water until I was at full extension.  This caused me to not 'lose' the water 6" above my hand therefore I could pull more water and it even helped me with my elbow dropping.  I got faster by about 1-2 seconds/100.

For a visual here is a drill he gave me to do:  You have a kick board in front of you and your arms are fully extended.  Release one hand and pull.  When that hand gets back to the board, release the next hand.  Repeat.

Thoughts?

2008-12-17 2:38 PM

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Kathy,

This is another visual / drill for EVF from evanscoaching -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQTxN854uk

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Some swim thoughts to share Rss Feed  

of 2