Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » OLDER FIT CANADIANS - GLOBE ARTICLE Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-10-08 8:08 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Subject: OLDER FIT CANADIANS - GLOBE ARTICLE

"They jogged through the late seventies, aerobicized in the eighties, and sweated for every fitness fad from Tae Bo to the ThighMaster.

Now on the eve of their golden years, could this be the most active generation of 50-year-olds Canada has ever seen?"

Interesting article in the Globe today: 
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/fit-at-50/could-this-be-the-fittest-generation/article1315762/

Edited by kimmax 2009-10-08 8:08 AM

2009-10-09 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2449186

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: OLDER FIT CANADIANS - GLOBE ARTICLE
I think this is super interesting and the baby boom is a curious group.  I don't see too much homogenous activity.  I had a lady I worked with who still looks amazing, she ran a marathon for her 50th birthday and just keeps so active.  My parents, on the other hand, are at the tail end of the baby boomers and are not all that active.  I can see there being a big gap because for all those with active and healty lifestyles there are those who spent a little too much time focused on 'sex, drugs and rock'n'roll' Cool 
2009-10-09 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

Yeah, I read the entire supplement last night.  Lots of good articles there.  But what I'm not sure and was debating with my hubby is, are we really the fittest generation, or the fattest generation?  I see both, many are EXTREMELY fit, but just as many, if not more, are overweight, relative to my parents' generation.

2009-10-09 1:00 PM
in reply to: #2451817

User image

Master
TORONTO

patricia7 - 2009-10-09 1:02 PM

Yeah, I read the entire supplement last night.  Lots of good articles there.  But what I'm not sure and was debating with my hubby is, are we really the fittest generation, or the fattest generation?  I see both, many are EXTREMELY fit, but just as many, if not more, are overweight, relative to my parents' generation.

It's hard to tell.  I've been amazed at the tri's I've participated in - just how many people with 50+ numbers written on their calf pass me on the bike.  But then that's not really an indication of the norm.   When I look at my mother, her brother's/sister's and friends and they're all sporting a little padding (if not a lot).  Seems to be a generation of extremes - very fit or very fat... On a positive note - my mother just joined Good Life!

Hang around a freshman university class and check out the kids there.  Definitely leaves you with the feeling that upcoming generations are definitely going to be overweight.  The muffin top is the dominating fashion trend - male and female.

And remember in grade school when being chubby was an anomaly?  I wonder if kids name call "chubby" or "fatso" any more...? Seems like everyone would be labelled now a days.

What impressed me in the article was that Canada was well represented.
"A record-high 28,292 competitors are competing next week at the World Masters Games in Australia, a multi-sport event that happens every four years. Roughly half of those competitors are age 50 and older. And they include more than 2,000 Canadians – the largest contingent from any of the 95 other visiting countries."

2009-10-15 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
It is VERY inspiring to see the awards categories with ages beyond 60.  Smile

NOT so inspiring when you get passed on the bike or the run and you notice that the age marked on their calf is 75 and you had overheard them talk about getting a hip replacement a few weeks before the race!!! Yell
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » OLDER FIT CANADIANS - GLOBE ARTICLE Rss Feed