General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-04-29 3:44 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Total Immersion?
After trying to 'coach' myself to go from novice swimmer to descent swimmer using video's and website found on the net, I finally decided that I was getting nowhere and professional help was needed.

Been reading up on Total Immersion and looks like its the way to go. Just want to know if people on BT  would recommend Total Immersion...?

2010-04-29 5:41 AM
in reply to: #2824695

User image

Subject: RE: Total Immersion?
Fire in the hole!

Edited by RogerWilco 2010-04-29 5:42 AM
2010-04-29 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Since I first watched the total immersion video I have been reading all I can on the technique and trying it in my swim training.  I definitely do feel faster when doing it right and that usually happens after the first 300 or so yards.  I'm trying to use less arms and legs and more core muscles and have just begun the high elbow technique.  I think I have found muscles in my back that I didn't know existed before.  I'm still having trouble breathing, but I think that's improving too.  I really need to find a swim coach.
2010-04-29 6:48 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA
I think it's a good place to start, but it does have some limitations.

I've only been swimming since January and my 100 splits have gone from a little over 2:00 to between 1:40 and 1:45 by using the TI video and attending a short TI workshop.

However, I think I'm now at the point where I need to go beyond TI. I need to use other techniques rather than long strokes.
2010-04-29 7:12 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I'm not going to comment on TI, but I will say that getting a good swim coach to watch you swim and give you tips is extraordinarily valuable.  I highly recommend it, even if it is just a few sessions.
2010-04-29 7:17 AM
in reply to: #2824781

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
natethomas2000 - 2010-04-29 5:48 AM

I think it's a good place to start, but it does have some limitations.

I've only been swimming since January and my 100 splits have gone from a little over 2:00 to between 1:40 and 1:45 by using the TI video and attending a short TI workshop.

However, I think I'm now at the point where I need to go beyond TI. I need to use other techniques rather than long strokes.

Well said. I think you could benefit from either a coach or TI to get your technique and form issue's resolved and then can move on to working on pacing and speed.

Edited by bryancd 2010-04-29 7:17 AM

2010-04-29 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2824781

User image

New user
Can I ask what the limitations of TI are? Just trying to get as much opinions and info as I can.
2010-04-29 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

Guys....I'm struggling with my swimming right now.  But, I thought I'd ask this....

If the guy who started TI holds masters records for endurance swimming (obviously utilizing his own technique), how can that technique be scrutinized?  Is it not a proven "winner"?

100% sincere Q.

2010-04-29 8:03 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Look at it this way. Like any very specific form of training protocol, it's going to have it's limitations. There's a point where we all will have a degree of variability to how we swim that's unique to us, just like with our running form and technique and cadence. It's going to vary. Some may find that a higher turnover, less body rotation, slightly different head position, ect. results in better efficiency int he water as opposed to a classic TI technique. Personally, I think TI is great for learning to swim, but can be limiting when it comes time to swim fast and a lot of athletes spend all their pool time cruising the TI way instead of introducing more intensity whcih might alter their TI form.
In regards to the best swimmers int he world, there's not a lot of classic TI swimming going on for a reason.

Edited by bryancd 2010-04-29 8:04 AM
2010-04-29 8:09 AM

User image

Champion
Milton, GA

As stated above, it is a good place to start.

I used the video when I started swimming for tris as the last time I had swam a lap in the pool was to get my SCUBA certification almost 15 years ago.  The program will get you through the swim in a tri but don't expect to be placing very high.  The reason I found to be was over-rotation.  the video promotes it in order to help you find balance in the water and get you comfortable swimming.  This same over-rotation is what I found makes you slow.

Trouble with TI with me was once I did it I had a hard time 'unlearning' everything I had picked up in order to swim faster.

2010-04-29 8:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2010-04-29 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2824900

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
nc452010 - 2010-04-29 7:48 AM

Guys....I'm struggling with my swimming right now.  But, I thought I'd ask this....

If the guy who started TI holds masters records for endurance swimming (obviously utilizing his own technique), how can that technique be scrutinized?  Is it not a proven "winner"?

100% sincere Q.

Total Immersion is a form of swimming that gives one the most bang for the buck.  That means, for a given level of fitness, one get's the maximum efficency for that effort level.  That isn't necessarily the fastest absolute speed.  It's also designed to aid the swimmer to swim farther for the same effort as opposed to maximizing speed for the given distance.    But, it will not give you the maximum speed possible for the given distance.    This is a good method for tri swimmers, as it optimizes effort. 

I have been playing with the techniques.   It has improved my moderate swim rate.  I"m not sure that it has done much for my sprint speed.   I need to start taking a stop watch to the pool with me and check times.   I usually don't care about timing in training.   I am Zen that way...Cool

I will say this for TI, that it is the quickest way for one to become "One" with the water.

For me, any distance short of olympic distance is a sprint.   Maybe when I step up to a half or full  ironman I will use the TI technique exclusively.

Edited by MadMathemagician 2010-04-29 8:16 AM
2010-04-29 8:19 AM

Master
Reston, VA
OK - here it goes. I am sure some people will disagree but this is what I have found from my experience swimming, giving swim lessons and coaching over the years.

I think TI does a good job of getting people comfortable in the water and gives them some good fundamental swimming skills - balance, steamlining, etc.

The TI swimmers I have met, coached, gave a swim lesson to, talked with, etc all have had the same misconceptions about how to become a fast swimmer. I am not saying TI teaches this, but am saying that those TI swimmers I have worked with in the water (15ish or so people) believe all or some of the following which are not always true:

1) Head position - must be staring at the bottom of the pool. While this works for some people it does not for everyone and not everyone should be doing this. Think of head position like cadence. There are some basic parameters most people should be in (dont be looking behind you, dont be doing the tarzan swim) but people seem to naturally select their head position over time. The TI swimmers I have worked with tend to bury their heads.

2) Form and technique work at the expense of swimming hard. My single biggest issue. To become a better swimmer, you need to work hard at swimming and the TI swimmers I have worked with or seen do 90% form work and 10% actual swimming. A beginner swimmer needs some form work but not this much. A MOP of the pack swimmer should be swimming hard a lot. To become a better swimmer, you need to really push yourself in the water. I can't emphasize this enough.

3) Long streamlined position and slow turnover vs. racing. As I mentioned before I think TI does a good job of teaching body position and streamlining but the TI students I have seen take it overboard to the point that the majority of them have too slow of a turnover and too much glide. Go watch a triathlon. Look at the the top 5% of the swimmers. You will see arms flying, fast turnover, hard kicking, aggressive swimming. I have yet to see anyone at the FOP that looks like they follow the principles of TI.

In fact I have yet to meet FOP swimmer who trains by the TI principles, where I have met, swam with and seen plenty of people with no swimming background get a few lessons or join a masters team and through hard work become FOP swimmers.

From what I have seen TI does a good job getting new swimmers to finish a tri or be comfortable in the water or be able to swim a long time at a comfortable pace. None of these things are easy to do and TI does a good job at this. I think TI's limitation is taking a 1:45/100 swimmer and getting them to a 1:20/100 swimmer. Something a few individual lessons and hard work over time can do.
2010-04-29 8:46 AM

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
From what I have seen TI does a good job getting new swimmers to finish a tri or be comfortable in the water or be able to swim a long time at a comfortable pace. None of these things are easy to do and TI does a good job at this. I think TI's limitation is taking a 1:45/100 swimmer and getting them to a 1:20/100 swimmer. Something a few individual lessons and hard work over time can do.

x2, great post doc. I'm the avg joe that doc just talked about. No swim background whatsoever. Self coached with T.I. Spent lots of time in the pool. Watched you tube videos of the greatest swimmers in the world. Experimented. Went to tri club swim clinics where my stroke was video analyzed. T.I. took me to level one. Everything else is helping me crack the top 15-25% coming out of the water at my Tri's.
2010-04-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2824900

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
nc452010 - 2010-04-29 8:48 AM

100% sincere Q.

I think it has more to do with the person than with the technique. Michael Phelps has been trying out several different techniques and hes still a fish regardless of what technique he is currently using.

As with anything, TI is good for a certain group of people, but its not the only solution. I would much rather spend the money hiring a coach or instructor to give me feedback than watching a dvd and trying to critique myself.
2010-04-29 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2824987

Master
Bellevue, WA
docswim24 - 2010-04-29 6:19 AM

OK - here it goes. I am sure some people will disagree but this is what I have found from my experience swimming, giving swim lessons and coaching over the years.

I think TI does a good job of getting people comfortable in the water and gives them some good fundamental swimming skills - balance, steamlining, etc.

The TI swimmers I have met, coached, gave a swim lesson to, talked with, etc all have had the same misconceptions about how to become a fast swimmer. I am not saying TI teaches this, but am saying that those TI swimmers I have worked with in the water (15ish or so people) believe all or some of the following which are not always true:

1) Head position - must be staring at the bottom of the pool. While this works for some people it does not for everyone and not everyone should be doing this. Think of head position like cadence. There are some basic parameters most people should be in (dont be looking behind you, dont be doing the tarzan swim) but people seem to naturally select their head position over time. The TI swimmers I have worked with tend to bury their heads.

2) Form and technique work at the expense of swimming hard. My single biggest issue. To become a better swimmer, you need to work hard at swimming and the TI swimmers I have worked with or seen do 90% form work and 10% actual swimming. A beginner swimmer needs some form work but not this much. A MOP of the pack swimmer should be swimming hard a lot. To become a better swimmer, you need to really push yourself in the water. I can't emphasize this enough.

3) Long streamlined position and slow turnover vs. racing. As I mentioned before I think TI does a good job of teaching body position and streamlining but the TI students I have seen take it overboard to the point that the majority of them have too slow of a turnover and too much glide. Go watch a triathlon. Look at the the top 5% of the swimmers. You will see arms flying, fast turnover, hard kicking, aggressive swimming. I have yet to see anyone at the FOP that looks like they follow the principles of TI.

In fact I have yet to meet FOP swimmer who trains by the TI principles, where I have met, swam with and seen plenty of people with no swimming background get a few lessons or join a masters team and through hard work become FOP swimmers.

This is 1000% correct.

I learned how to swim on my own, switched to TI training for my first IM, and have been trying to unlearn TI ever since to go faster.

TI made me much more comfortable in the water and I learned how to swim long distances at a comfortable pace. I successfully finished my first IM with a 1:35 swim.

I did not learn how to swim long distances quickly.

Like most things, TI is a great fit for some people and a poor fit for others. YMMV.

2010-04-29 10:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Pelzer, SC
I agree that TI is a good start. A way to get comfortable in the water with little financial input. I bought the DVD and a book a couple of years back. It got me solid in the water. I've just started a masters class. I believe this will bring my swimming to the next level. So far the instructors are tweaking my form a little, but seem impressed that my form is good with no actual instruction (other than a DVD). It is amazing how different it is to do kick drills with fins. I'm working leg muscles I didn't know I had. My take is: If you have masters classes near by and can attend them go for it. If not TI will help. I don't think anything beats a coach watching you and pushing you to do better.
2010-04-29 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2825237

Coach
Stairway to Seven
brucemorgan - 2010-04-29 8:38 AM

I learned how to swim on my own, switched to TI training for my first IM, and have been trying to unlearn TI ever since to go faster.

Like most things, TI is a great fit for some people and a poor fit for others. YMMV.

So you've been trying to increase your drag and become unbalanced in the water?

For those who say there are limitations on TI, I'll state it this way...there are limitations on self-teaching no matter how good the video or technique is. TI is a method of teaching streamline and balance, and any movement of the exended arm in the water that doesn't contribute to foreward propulsion is eliminated. The TI books/videos on triathlon swimming and out of the box discuss pacing and training to get faster without breaking down form.

In a TI weekend workshop, there's not time to teach people who havn't had time to integrate the basic concepts how to get faster by increasing turnover. As soon as you increase turnover for a movement you are still trying to conentrate on and hold in your working memory, that stroke technique is going to fall apart. It takes tens of thousands of repetitions of a proper movement to move it out of your conscious working memory into long term neuromuscular patterns. This means months of swimming with each new stroke point that you learn. The reason to "swim lots" is to use those yards to imprint correct swimming movements, not just to get yards in.

But there's no secret to getting faster, except that you need to make sure that as you are increasing your tempo you maintain essential streamlining and balance in the water as well as your sense of ease in stroking. The TI method of instruction teaches you to be balanced at all points of the stroke moving from a left streamline position to a right streamline position by "falling" into gravity's pull as your recovering arm is ready to enter the water. That doesn't change as you get faster, but frequently As soon as people simply try to swim "hard intervals" they start to kick and pull harder which nearly always breaks down their timing and form.

Here's one of the nicest TI videos I've seen of Terry swimming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4&playnext_from=TL&videos=...

And if you want to hear his philosophy on swimming listen to this 6 part youtube talk he gave at the multisport expo last year. the total talk is about 45 minutes long broken into 6 videos and is both entertaining and eye opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b6XIntfcc&playnext_from=TL&videos=...

Edited by AdventureBear 2010-04-29 10:33 AM
2010-04-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2825354

Veteran
Everett, WA
AdventureBear - 2010-04-29 8:14 AM
brucemorgan - 2010-04-29 8:38 AM I learned how to swim on my own, switched to TI training for my first IM, and have been trying to unlearn TI ever since to go faster. Like most things, TI is a great fit for some people and a poor fit for others. YMMV.
So you've been trying to increase your drag and become unbalanced in the water? For those who say there are limitations on TI, I'll state it this way...there are limitations on self-teaching no matter how good the video or technique is. TI is a method of teaching streamline and balance, and any movement of the exended arm in the water that doesn't contribute to foreward propulsion is eliminated. The TI books/videos on triathlon swimming and out of the box discuss pacing and training to get faster without breaking down form. In a TI weekend workshop, there's not time to teach people who havn't had time to integrate the basic concepts how to get faster. These stroke refinements are hard to pass along in a group session where ability ranges widely. But there's no secret to doing so, except that you need to make sure that as you are increasing your tempo you maintain essential streamlining and balance in the water as well as your sense of ease in stroking. The TI method of instruction teaches you to be balanced at all points of the stroke moving from a left streamline position to a right streamline position by "falling" into gravity's pull as your recovering arm is ready to enter the water. That doesn't change as you get faster, but frequently As soon as people simply try to swim "hard intervals" they start to kick and pull harder which nearly always breaks down their timing and form. Here's one of the nicest TI videos I've seen of Terry swimming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4&playnext_from=TL&... And if you want to hear his philosophy on swimming listen to this 6 part youtube talk he gave at the multisport expo last year. the total talk is about 45 minutes long broken into 6 videos and is both entertaining and eye opening. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97b6XIntfcc&playnext_from=TL&...

I'll add the disclosure:

AB is a certified TI coach (www.totalimmersion.net/find-a-coach -- Pennsylvania)
2010-04-29 10:20 AM

Master
Agree with all above about limitations of TI. I don't fault TI necessarily for this - it's just that you cant really teach a raw beginner the same things to improve that a FOP swimmer would need.

TI is excellent for raw beginners. I needed more though, within a few months.

I do think TI overstates how fast you can go with technique alone. I feel like I was "misled" by the book's notion that by swimming a lot with good technique, that you'd go as fast as you can go. Technique is absolutely key, but you absolutely need swim fitness to go fast. I don't think the issue with a lot of TI swimmers with low turnover is that they're consciously trying to go much slower, but that they're usually new swimmers (like me) who don't have the swim fitness to go hard with high turnover.
2010-04-29 10:24 AM

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've been swimming for almost 2 years now and last summer (my first tri season) I was around 1:40-1:50 ish per 100yd in my swim legs (4 sprint races).  Last June I swam a 200 yd freestyle race (off the blocks in a 25 yd pool) in 2:33 (1:16 pace).  So I thought I'd keep it up and I'd get faster.  Well, that's not really happening.

I went to a swim clinic last Saturday, now I know why.  The instructor took videos of us under water and boy what a mess my stroke is.  I did some drills this morning and I still feel "off".  I think I need coaching and repetitive drills now to get these kinks out.

Some talented athletes out there can self teach based on a few clinics videos etc. but I'm going to join a masters swim program.  I've been "on the fence" with this for many months now but I want to get faster in the water.

If you can, get some coaching and/or join a masters swim program.  It will help for sure, no doubt about it.  After a two hour clinic Saturday the instructor took an "after" video and we already saw iimprovement in my stroke.

My $0.02 worth (O.K. maybe it was $0.03 worth, sorry for being so wordy, hope this helps).

2010-04-29 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2825366

Coach
Stairway to Seven
oldntrin - 2010-04-29 9:17 AM

I'll add the disclosure:

AB is a certified TI coach (www.totalimmersion.net/find-a-coach -- Pennsylvania)

It's not a secret, I've posted here mutliple times about my TI coaching certification and process. Not something I would have done without a strong conviction that I could help my triathletes by learning how to coach them better.
2010-04-29 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2825354

Master
Reston, VA
AdventureBear - 2010-04-29 11:14 AM

But there's no secret to getting faster, except that you need to make sure that as you are increasing your tempo you maintain essential streamlining and balance in the water as well as your sense of ease in stroking. The TI method of instruction teaches you to be balanced at all points of the stroke moving from a left streamline position to a right streamline position by "falling" into gravity's pull as your recovering arm is ready to enter the water. That doesn't change as you get faster, but frequently As soon as people simply try to swim "hard intervals" they start to kick and pull harder which nearly always breaks down their timing and form.

AB - thanks for posting. I was hoping you would join in this discussion as you have the most experience with TI.

I would agree with you that as people try to swim hard intervals they start to kick and pull harder. I believe this is a good thing and allows the swimmer to develop a better kick and stonger pull over time and with practice.

I see benefits of hard sets:
1) If you stop everytime your technique starts to go or slow down to have the perfect technique, how are you going to swim at a hard pace in a race with waves, having to sight, having people bump into you, etc. Hard sets may be a little out of control and your form may vary a bit but that is what is going to happen in a race too.
2) They stress your system with minimal recovery needed (swimming generally does not beat up your body like running does) which leads to greater fitness.
3) They allow you to figure out what your race pace is. Doing hard set of 100s, 200s, 300s, etc with minimal rest teaches me what pace I can race at which leads to a faster overall race
2010-04-29 12:02 PM

Master
"I learned how to swim on my own, switched to TI training for my first IM, and have been trying to unlearn TI ever since to go faster."

IMHO, Two things that you need to change is your arm stroke and when you breathe in the cycle.  TI concentrates on an asymmetric  arm cycle.   In TI, one arm is always in the front quadrant.  This is to optimize the glide and to maintain horizontal body position.    In competitive free style, the arms are always 180 opposed to each other in the cycle, wind milling, so to speak. and there is no gliding phase.  It's strictly a power stroke.  Breathing in TI is when one is in the glide position.  In the continual arm cycle, breathing is when the arm on the side you want to breathe is out of the water.  

To increase your speed requires two things.  Good technique, and upper body strength.  Work on both and you should see an increase in speed.

2010-04-29 12:02 PM

Master

Edited by MadMathemagician 2010-04-29 12:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion? Rss Feed  

of 3