General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "You're over doing it" - WTH!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2011-03-07 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: "You're over doing it" - WTH!!!

I am sure this has been a thread before. But does anyone ever get tired of hearing from friends and family members that "you exercise too much" or "you're over doing it"  I am in my 6th week of the BT Olympic, Bike Focused, Tri plan.  I follow the running and biking as it calls for, but am lacking in the swim.  Either way, I am probably in the best cardio shape I have ever been in.  I've never had a weight issue, but since I have leaned out and cut my body fat % down, I probably look leaner than I have in the past. I'm 5'9", 161 pounds.  I don't think that is too skinny, but people think they have the right to say so!

Why do people need to comment on these things???  I am just curious if other people get this?

2011-03-07 10:26 AM
in reply to: #3386186

User image

Subject: RE: "You're over doing it" - WTH!!!
It leads to people being ignored when they start blathering about what I should or should not be doing and "How 'bout them Cubs" a lot.

Seriously, ignore it and stop bringing it up. After a while people will stop feeling guilty about their couch potato existence and quit picking on you for reminding them.

2011-03-07 10:35 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

People are idiots.  There, I said it. 

Ok, it is possible to “overdo” exercise.  You can cause overuse injuries, and you can overtrain, leading to burnout, fatigue, etc. And, if you have some kind of medical condition like and enlarged heart, it’s possible to kill yourself by exercising too much.

But most people who say stupid stuff like “you’re overdoing it” wouldn’t know what “overdoing it” looked like if it bit them on the butt.  You’re doing a great job of training, and are following your plan and you’ve got the results to prove it, but there are dozens of people on BT who train so much that it makes all of us look like lazy slackers.  That’s not a knock on what you’re doing at all—just making the point that the people that you’re talking about  have no idea what a really hard-core training load looks like. If they did, their heads would probably explode. 

Keep it up! You're doing great.

2011-03-07 10:42 AM

New user
Connecticut Shore

Seriously-  I am long way from overdoing it.  And yet there are people  who think that I am doing too much "for a guy my age".

A guy my age just croaked from a heart attack.  He was doing "age appropriate" things.  You know watching football all day on Sunday.

Leave me be....exercising every day is good!!  Especially when your job makes you sit in a chair all day.

2011-03-07 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
rizer22 - 2011-03-07 11:21 AM

I am sure this has been a thread before. But does anyone ever get tired of hearing from friends and family members that "you exercise too much" or "you're over doing it"  I am in my 6th week of the BT Olympic, Bike Focused, Tri plan.  I follow the running and biking as it calls for, but am lacking in the swim.  Either way, I am probably in the best cardio shape I have ever been in.  I've never had a weight issue, but since I have leaned out and cut my body fat % down, I probably look leaner than I have in the past. I'm 5'9", 161 pounds.  I don't think that is too skinny, but people think they have the right to say so!

Why do people need to comment on these things???  I am just curious if other people get this?

I'm 6'1" and about 158... you're not too skinny   I used to weigh 148 at my lowest when I first started training...THAT was too skinny.  I got comments on that (mostly from my girlfriend) and probably deservedly so.

Now, when people give me comments like that I generally respond that I think I'm fat and need to lose about 10 pounds.  Eventually they see I'm being sarcastic/joking and they drop it.

Edited by jsiegs 2011-03-07 10:44 AM
2011-03-07 10:50 AM

From what you've described you are over doing it.  Now grab a bag of chips and a beer and head over to the Lazy Boy.  There's probably a game on somewhere.

2011-03-07 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Savannah
The flipside is how do they know that you're overdoing it?  Probably because you're talking about your fitness accomplishments and bring it up on more than one occassion.  You're tired of them telling you that you're overdoing it.  They are probably just as tired of hearing you talk about how much you've worked out lately.  It goes both ways.  I'm not saying that it's the case for you, but in general, especially in the case of newer triathletes.

Edited by mktoson 2011-03-07 10:53 AM
2011-03-07 11:00 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Yes, this is super common, especially if you're the only one in your circle of family / friends / coworkers who has taken up training recently.   What you are doing is out-of-their-ordinary, so some of them will praise it, others will think you weird but say nothing (or at least to you), and sadly too many will criticize you for it.

The other point you bring up is your appearance (weight isn't it, it's your "leaner" look).  The "new normal" in America is flat out fat, so anyone less than that looks abnormal.

In 1980, you could be lean and look athleticm but in 2011, it's considered unhealthy by many.  5'" and 161 = BMI of 23.8.  WIth the normal range considered 18.5 - 24.9, depending on your build you're not even lean yet.

As I've posted before, watch old movies and see how people looked.  Even the fat characters weren't so fat.  I watched Smokey and the Bandit a few weeks ago.  Remember Jackie Gleason's Buford T. Justice, the "fat Southern sheriff".  Hardly looks overweight by today's standards.  All three of the Bellevue cops I saw the other day at Starbucks were fatter than Buford T. Justice, even accounting for their vests.

Look at this link to a picture of him from The Honeymooners where he played the "fat bus driver" Ralph Cramden.  This was "fat" in 1955: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3708915200/nm0001276

He's barely heavyset by today's standards. 

Watch Breaking Away.  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1034394112/tt0078902  That was "normal" teenagers in 1979.   Walk the mall and see if that's normal in 2011.

Edited by brucemorgan 2011-03-07 11:01 AM
2011-03-07 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Ever wonder why you can keep crabs in an open pot? Because as soon as one starts to crawl out, the others will grab hold of it and drag it back in.

People are like that, and you're crawling out of the pot... See it as a sign you're doing the right thing.

2011-03-07 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I've heard that from a few family members.  Most of them know nothing about triathlon, so I just ignore it anymore. 

Yesterday my husband told me that if I drop another 5 lbs., then people will talk about me.  He's been 100% supportive of what I'm doing, so I trust that he's being honest with me, and I've reconsidered what I originally thought was an acceptable race weight. 

2011-03-07 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3386283

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
jarvy01 - 2011-03-07 9:08 AM

I've heard that from a few family members.  Most of them know nothing about triathlon, so I just ignore it anymore. 

Yesterday my husband told me that if I drop another 5 lbs., then people will talk about me.  He's been 100% supportive of what I'm doing, so I trust that he's being honest with me, and I've reconsidered what I originally thought was an acceptable race weight. 

"Race weight" is getting close when people start asking if I'm sick or something...

2011-03-07 11:14 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My mom told a guy I *just* started seeing that I was "over the top" with the whole triathlon thing. She may have also used the word "crazy" I'm not certain, but that was definitely the message. Luckily he is also a triathlete so just laughed it off with me.

How interesting would life be if we could all comment so freely on everyone's choices without getting punched in the face.

Edited by lisac957 2011-03-07 11:15 AM
2011-03-07 11:16 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I seem to remember a lot of friends and family thinking they were experts in the Real Estate Market too. Turns out they WEREN'T!!! ......and chances are they aren't experts in triathlon or emdurance sports training either.
2011-03-07 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
St. Cloud, MN
I get a few comments like that, but I get a lot more comments when I go out socially and don't drink anymore.  People almost seem offended that I'm not drinking and enjoying the same fun (aka buzz) that they are.  All my friends we're almost trying to force a drink in my hand.  It's funny how postive lifestyle choices seem to almost scare people. 
2011-03-07 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3386309

User image

Central Oregon

lisac957 - 2011-03-07 9:14 AM

How interesting would life be if we could all comment so freely on everyone's choices without getting punched in the face.

Haha. I was imagining how cool it would be if everyone who goes to the gym would focus on their own workout instead of making fun of other people there... anyway.

This is what I deal with, social eating. At first it was my refusal to feed a one year old an adult sized piece of cake. I got made fun of a lot for monitoring what my kids eat. Now that it's been 5 years my friends are used to it and I've relaxed a little too.

But what still happens is that my friends sometimes comment that I'm "skinny as a rail" so why can't I eat that tortilla fried in oil? I don't like to be too picky, but there have been times when I eat a little differently at a group function and I guess it makes other people uncomfortable. If only we would all just focus on ourselves... I think that is the main problem.

I like the way that I look right now but I'm not quite where I want to be yet and part of that is diet.

2011-03-07 11:43 AM
in reply to: #3386245

User image

Expert

mktoson - 2011-03-07 11:51 AM The flipside is how do they know that you're overdoing it?  Probably because you're talking about your fitness accomplishments and bring it up on more than one occassion.  You're tired of them telling you that you're overdoing it.  They are probably just as tired of hearing you talk about how much you've worked out lately.  It goes both ways.  I'm not saying that it's the case for you, but in general, especially in the case of newer triathletes.

I agree with what you are saying.  I would get annoyed if someone just talked about training all day.  But I actually rarely bring it up.  It's the friends/family that think it's ok to bring it up.  I believe they're on me because I don't golf as much with them anymore, but still retain my close freindships with them, just on a different level. 

2011-03-07 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3386378

User image

Expert
Brightbow - 2011-03-07 12:41 PM

lisac957 - 2011-03-07 9:14 AM

Haha. I was imagining how cool it would be if everyone who goes to the gym would focus on their own workout instead of making fun of other people there... anyway.

This is what I deal with, social eating. At first it was my refusal to feed a one year old an adult sized piece of cake. I got made fun of a lot for monitoring what my kids eat. Now that it's been 5 years my friends are used to it and I've relaxed a little too.

But what still happens is that my friends sometimes comment that I'm "skinny as a rail" so why can't I eat that tortilla fried in oil? I don't like to be too picky, but there have been times when I eat a little differently at a group function and I guess it makes other people uncomfortable. If only we would all just focus on ourselves... I think that is the main problem.

I like the way that I look right now but I'm not quite where I want to be yet and part of that is diet.

Funny you say that, people look at me funny when I tell my kid he can't have a third piece of cake at a birthday party.  Thankfully, they have my good eating habits, most of the time.  DOn;t get me wrong, I don't think sweets here and there are a bad thing, just in moderation.

2011-03-07 11:50 AM

User image

Expert

I also have not felt as good as I do right now. I had a pretty big medical scare in the fall (infection in the lining of my brain), and have struggled for ten years with other sinus issues.  I now feel so energized everyday, so it's hard for me to not want to continue doing what I am doing.

I am almost to the point of getting pi$$ed off at people.

Thank you everyone for allowing me to vent!!!!

2011-03-07 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3386245

User image

Extreme Veteran
PaaMul QRoo, MX

mktoson - 2011-03-07 10:51 AM The flipside is how do they know that you're overdoing it?  Probably because you're talking about your fitness accomplishments and bring it up on more than one occassion.  You're tired of them telling you that you're overdoing it.  They are probably just as tired of hearing you talk about how much you've worked out lately.  It goes both ways.  I'm not saying that it's the case for you, but in general, especially in the case of newer triathletes.

No idea about the OP but I get that and NEVER talk about my training here and constantly get comments about how I'm exercising too much.  Or going out AGAIN?  It really doesn't bother me though cause the guys making the comments are probably working harder than me all day in the sun.

2011-03-07 12:07 PM
in reply to: #3386434

User image

Expert
Savannah
kathy caribe - 2011-03-07 12:53 PM

mktoson - 2011-03-07 10:51 AM The flipside is how do they know that you're overdoing it?  Probably because you're talking about your fitness accomplishments and bring it up on more than one occassion.  You're tired of them telling you that you're overdoing it.  They are probably just as tired of hearing you talk about how much you've worked out lately.  It goes both ways.  I'm not saying that it's the case for you, but in general, especially in the case of newer triathletes.

No idea about the OP but I get that and NEVER talk about my training here and constantly get comments about how I'm exercising too much.  Or going out AGAIN?  It really doesn't bother me though cause the guys making the comments are probably working harder than me all day in the sun.

I didn't say it was the case for everyone.  But think about it.  99 percent of the people wouldn't know how much you train, unless you tell them how much you train.  My co-workers know I workout and do races, but they have no clue of what those workouts consist of...or the frequency.  Even my next door neighbor doesn't know how often I work out because I'm pretty sure they aren't around everytime I step out the door for a run.  The only person that knows the extent of my training is the person that sleeps in the same bed as I.  And the only reason she knows is because she hears the alarm clock going off at 5:45am, that's set so I can get a run in.  She's home at 5:00 when I get home from work, before heading to the pool.  I'm just saying that the vast majority of people wouldn't know how much you trained if you didn't tell them. 

Let me be clear...this is not the case for 100% of the population, but a generalization on my part

I also agree that any amount of training would seem like "overdoing" it to someone with a sedentary lifestyle.  Just ignore it and keep doing what you're doing

Edited by mktoson 2011-03-07 12:10 PM
2011-03-07 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3386296

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
briderdt - 2011-03-07 9:12 AM
jarvy01 - 2011-03-07 9:08 AM

"Race weight" is getting close when people start asking if I'm sick or something...

I'm pretty sure that's still 10 pounds away... Isn't it:

When people ask if you've been sick, you're 10 pounds away.

When people start to whisper about cancer or some other disease, you're 5 pounds away

When people start discussing intervention, you're at race weight.

(apologies to Dan Empfield at ST if I messed up the quote).

My wife told me I'm not allowed to lose any more weight, so I guess I'm at my race weight! I'm still losing it very slowly though (don't tell her!!!).

Don't worry about over doing it unless you are physically ailing in some way, missing work or letting it affect your life in a very negative way. Your beer-drinking buddies may not understand, but every once in a while it's just time to find new friends...

2011-03-07 12:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

We moved in with my parents for 7 weeks last summer between closing on our old house and the closing on the new one.  My mother had been concerned about my weight loss and afraid I'd become anorexic.  After 7 weeks of watching me inhale food she stopped worrying about that and was very worried about me "overdoing it".  I was barely doing maintenance work on the bike and run and wasn't swimming at all at that point.  She suggested that it would be healthier if I exercised less and dieted more.

Since then my mother has decided that she likes my way better and has been doing an exercise program on her Wii Fit since Christmas.  She's dropped 2 pant sizes and ate a piece of cake AND ice cream yesterday for my daughter's birthday. 

People have a hard time with change.  They're worried now but if you give them time to adjust to the new "normal" it will eventually become a non-issue.

2011-03-07 12:44 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Get better friends.
2011-03-07 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Island, NY
I was just about to post something similar.  I just got off the phone with my (overweight, out of shape) sister.  I mentioned doing Timberman again this summer.  She said she didn't think I was still doing the "triathlon thing" since I hadn't really talked about it.  Then proceded to tell me she didn't understand why I do it, or why I think it is fun.  I told her one reason is  that its a fun way to keep fit.  She told me  "you could still go out and ride your bike without having to do triathlons.  You could just spend more time with your family instead of stressing about training"  WTF  I said "That's why I get up at 4:30am on weekends to do long training in season, and I am getting back in the door when hubby and kids are just finishing breakfast"   This went on for like 10 minutes- her trying to somehow convince me that I am in the wrong.  I finally said I had to go.  Pointless to continue the discussion.  
2011-03-07 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3386266

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
brucemorgan - 2011-03-07 12:00 PM

Watch Breaking Away.  http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1034394112/tt0078902  That was "normal" teenagers in 1979.   Walk the mall and see if that's normal in 2011.

Do I have to walk, or may I take one of those little scooters?

The pic makes me miss Bloomington...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "You're over doing it" - WTH!!! Rss Feed  

of 4