Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite foods for camping? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-23 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Favorite foods for camping?
I need more ideas for healthy tasty camping foods. Went this past weekend and lost three pounds. I clearly need to eat more to offset the mountain biking. I hate packaged foods so need more ideas on easy wholesome foods esp snacks. Some pre prep is okay. Thanks!

2012-04-23 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4166820

Master
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: Favorite foods for camping?
is it car camping or backpacking?  If car camping the skys the limit as far as food that can be kept in a cooler.  If backpacking and near fishable streams.  Fish
2012-04-23 10:43 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Pasta salad
Bean salad
Rice salad
Quinoa salad
String cheese
Nuts
Fruit
Hummus/veggies
Crackers/cheese
Pre-made smoothies (think Odwalla brand)
Air popped popcorn
Trail mix
Home made granola bars
Peanut butter sandwiches
Larabar/Clif Bar

2012-04-23 10:50 AM

User image

Regular

Cheese (buy a block and peel just enough to cut off a chunk, stays fine for a weekend as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight/heat)

Home made trail mix (only ligitimate excuse to eat that many peanut m&m's is on the trail:-)

Avocados (buy just slightly green and keep them in the top of your pack. Peel and eat like an orange)

Real oatmeal not the instant stuff

honey (goes on everything and you can pretend the bear is another member of the party when you get upset with eachother. I named mine Wilson)

2012-04-23 10:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome! It's car camping. I just forget to eat when I'm having too much fun.
2012-04-23 10:56 AM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Smores and Bacon....

2012-04-23 11:09 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lol, you had me until the word "healthy".  We camp all the time and I usually gain 2 or 3 lbs. every time we go.  Lots of burgers, dogs, brats, chips, smores, and just about everything else unhealthy you can think of.  

2012-04-23 11:13 AM

Regular
Toronto, Ontario
I love corn on a cob! SO easy to make - just wrap in tin foil and put it over the fire. Also loved baked potatoes but they take forever to cook through.
2012-04-23 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4167188

User image

Extreme Veteran
tuwood - 2012-04-23 10:09 AM

lol, you had me until the word "healthy".  We camp all the time and I usually gain 2 or 3 lbs. every time we go.  Lots of burgers, dogs, brats, chips, smores, and just about everything else unhealthy you can think of.  

Okay, I'm guessing I need to let go of the healthy. I'm okay with unhealthy, just not nutritionally void crap from a box. I need some veggies is all I'm saying. Esp since I need to keep my calories up.
2012-04-23 11:37 AM

Master
Houston, TX

When I'm on the trail I do a lot of peanut butter, because of the high calorie/energy content in a small serving/package and fruits for snacks.  I want FOOD when I'm burning that much in a day, but I'll forgo it in favor of weight on my back.  But when I go car camping there are no weight restrictions so I partake in the FOOD.  It isn't really healthy.  The food we take on the trail is same as backpacking, but breakfast is eggs, bacon, and coffee.  Here is a list I keep handy for dinners.  Pick what's healthy and what's not (most):

camp cobbler Recipe

Ingredients

large can of peaches in heavy syrup  
yellow or white cake mix  
stick of butter  
cinnamon

Equipment

Dutch oven  

charcoal

Instructions

pour can of peaches in bottom of oven.  
cover with cake mix  
cut butter into pats and place evenly over cake mix.  
sprinkle with cinnamon.  
cover oven, set on coals and put some coals on top of oven.  
cook for ~45 min.

Hobo or campfire Quesadillas Recipe

Ingredients

-Bag of pre-cooked sliced chicken.(Tyson's Southwest Flavor)
-10" tortillas
-shredded Cheese
-Salsa
-butter spray

Equipment

-Spoon 

-Heaveyduty Foil

Instructions

Take a sheet of foil and place your tortillas on it. Then spray tortillas with butter spray. On one tortilla spread chicken, salsa, and chesse. Then place 2nd tortilla on the other. Wrap with foils and pitch on the hot coals. Cooks in about 2 minutes.

Grilled Cheese Troop 728 style Recipe

Ingredients

-cheddar or mozarella cheese (square slices

-butter
-bread (preferrably white)

Equipment

-2 burner stove (really, any stove works

-fish-slice (the thing you use to flip pancakes)
-1 butter knife
-1 cooking pan

Instructions

1. Put a pat of butter on the pan (you'll have to do this a few times to keep your cooking space from burning.

2. Butter one side of the bread, put that side facedown on the pan, and put a slice of cheese on the upturned side.
3. Butter another piece of bread, and lay that on the other piece of bread like a sandwich (this one's butter-side up.).
4. After 20+ seconds, flip the sandwich so the open butter side gets cooked.
5. 20 seconds after that, check under the sandwich to see if it's ready. If it's ready, it will have turned slightly orange. If it's not ready, wait 10+ seconds more.
6. Enjoy!

Italian Chicken Recipe

Ingredients

7-10 Boneless Chicken Breasts,1-2 onions, 1-2 bottles of Italian Dressing.

Equipment

1 large saucepan, cook stove, spatula or tongs (tongs work best)

Instructions

Use about 1/2 a bottle of Italian dressing and put it in the pan with the onion(s). Bring dressing to a boil then add chicken breasts and add rest of 1 bottle of dressing. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes flipping chicken occasionally. (Gradually add rest of dressing if you had some left over.) Enjoy!

Tin Foil DInner Recipe

Ingredients

MEAT (HAMB Pattie, Chicken, Steak-some kind of beef), Potato (1 large per person), Carrot(as much as you like), Onion, Bell Pepper,
Butter, Salt & Pepper

Equipment

Tin Foil (preferably heavy duty

Heavy leather gloves
Shovel
Large bed of hot coals

Instructions

Wash and peel potatos(or leave skin on),carrots. Slice potatos, carrots, onion and pepper thinly. 

Tear off large piece of tin foil(around 2 foot). Shiney side in, place layer of potato to cover bottom of meat. Put meat on top, salt and pepper, onion and pepper then add layer of carrots and more potato's. Add two large pats of butter. Fold sides of foil to make large envelope, Fold edges twice to seal top, then roll ends right up to the contents. Use shovel to clear a little area in hot coals leaving a few, with gloves place
food package in space, cover with hot coals all over. In about 30 minutes (mediun size package)or 45 minutes (large man size package), use shovel to carefully remove from fire. Use gloves to shake ash from package and open. Steam from package could burn w/out gloves. Shape tin foil into plate or pour contents on to separate plate.

Polish Trainwreck Recipe

Ingredients

potatoes, cabbage, onions, sweet corn, 2 lbs of kielbasa. 

Stack in oven in that order make sure lid is down and it fits. Break ears of corn in half. add one quart of water.
Season potatoes with adobo seasoning before putting in pot or before serving

Equipment

12" deep dutch oven

Instructions

Cook oven from the bottom only. 9 coals on bottom for on hour. shield from wind. 

Have support when removing the lid because it smells so good your knees wobble and I don't want you to fall into the fire.

tortilini noodles in about 10 min. Recipe

Ingredients

any flavor of tortilini noodles (1 pack per boy

fedechini alfredo suace (1 jar per 6 people)

Equipment

big pot, spoon, campstove,water

Instructions

boil water and then add noddles. now stir ocassonaly until noodles are hot and done. then add warm sauce on noodles and 

enjoy!

Tired of S'mores Recipe

Ingredients

marshmallows

Reese Peanut Butter Cups

Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies

Equipment

roasting sticks

campfire

Instructions

Roast marshmallow over campfire. Place between two cookies with the Reese Cup.

CommentThese are delicious and very rich.

Roasted Onion Recipe

Ingredients

Onion
Boullion Cube (Chicken or Beef)
Pat of butter

Equipment

Tin foil

Instructions

Peel the onion, core out a tablespoon-sized hollow, place the boullion cube in first followed by the pat of butter. Seal in foil and place in the coals, wait about 30-40 minutes.

CommentThis could be done anywhere; the limiting factor is having some butter. I bet you could place some water in there and it would be good, though I haven't tried it.

Scout Stew Recipe

Ingredients

1/4 lb. - lean beef per Scout (Beef stew meat, hamburger, etc.)
1 - medium-large potato per Scout (chopped to bite size)
1 - chopped large onion (yellow, Spanish, white, red - you choose)
1-2 - chopped carrots per Scout
1-2 - chopped celery stalks per Scout
1 - packet of Onion soup mix or beef stew mix
4-6 strips of bacon cut up or a few Table Spoon's of any cooking oil
Various spices to taste (Season salt, salt, celery salt, pepper, paprika, bay leave, etc. - you decide)

Equipment

Dutch oven or Large mess kit pot

Instructions

1.) Heat pot or Dutch oven. 

2.) Add bacon and cook until done. Leave the bacon in the pan. This is now the oil needed to brown the beef and keep everything from sticking (Alternately use a few Table Spoon's of any cooking oil).
3.) Add beef and cook until brown on all sides.
4.) Add about a 1/4 of the potatoes and briefly brown. (Why are we only cooking a 1/4 of the potatoes now you ask? The potatoes contain starches that will help naturally thicken the sauce).
5.) Add packet of onion soup mix or beef stew mix and just enough water to cover ingredients.
6.) Cover and boil (simmer if possible) for 30 minutes.
7.) Check flavor and season as required.
8.) Add remaining ingredients and a cup of water.
9.) Cover and boil (simmer if possible) for 30 minutes.
10.) Remove cover and check consistency. If it is watery leave cover off and boil for another 15 minutes or add a little flour or Bisquick to thicken the sauce. If you don't have any flour throw a slice of bread in and stir.

CommentServe with a slice or two of bread to soak up the juices. Mmmmmm good.
Try adding a variety of different veggies (peas, peppers - (green, yellow, red, purple), rutabaga, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. to liven it up bit.
Try adding a can or two of Pork and beans for a Cowboy Scout Stew.
For a health conscious version try using Chicken breast instead of Beef.
For a kicked up Cajun Ken special Stew add some Andoule sausage, okra, Cajun seasoning and a bottle ofTabasco (OK - maybe just a few dashes). BAM. Now were talking.

Dutch Oven RoastedOrangeChicken Recipe

Ingredients

Whole roasting chicken 5-7lbs 

Sliced oranges,apple,lemon
Butter
Milk
Salt & Pepper
Orange peel
lemon peel
Orange Juice
Dried Mild chilli peppers

Equipment

Large Dutch Oven

Instructions

Wash chicken and pat dry 

slice & quarter two large oranges, one apple and one lemon.
Squeeze juices overtop and stuff fruit inside chicken cavity
Chop dried chilli’s and stuff in cavity along with the fruit
add a dash of orange peel and lemon peel
Combine 1 stick melted butter 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup of orange juice to brush on skin
Salt and pepper to taste
Place in foil lined Dutch oven and bake at about 350 for about an hour and half or until the leg joint moves free and clear juice is flowing from the joint.

CommentThe skin should brown nicely from the milk, butter, juice marinade. You can add carrots and potatoes if you wish.The dired chille's will reconstitue and give provide just a hint of pepper flavor that works well with the orange Cooking times vary depending on conditions. I recommend using a foil casserole pan or extra foil in the bottom of the oven to aid with clean up. The orange juice will caramelize and is a bear to clean.

Dutch Oven Lasagna Recipe

Ingredients

1 #10 spaghetti sauce
  5 lbs hamburger
  3 lbs hot sausage
  5 lbs mozzarella cheese
  2 large containers of cottage cheese
  6 eggs
  2 lbs lasagna noodles

Equipment

14" dutch oven

10" skillet
  large pot

Instructions

brown meat, drain, set aside

mix cottage cheese and eggs and set aside

boil noodles

Building the lasagna:
 in layers place meat,cheeses,& noodles
 when dutch oven is about full pour in spaghetti sauce
 put remaining cheese on top
 cover and cook about 45 min on charcoal or hot coals, top & bottom
  serve with garlic bread
  serves about 12 hungry scouts

Commentcan add hot peppers if desired
  also good if served with jalapeno pepper biscuits

Duch Oven Pizza Recipe

Ingredients

2 boxes pizza mix w/ sauce

1 lb mozzarella cheese
1 lb pepperoni (or your favorite topping)

Equipment

Large Dutch Oven

Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil

Instructions

Prepare coals 

Line Dutch Oven with heavy duty foil
Mix pizza dough per instructions on box
Spread dough evenly in bottom of Dutch Oven.
Layer with sauce, pepperoni & cheese.
Cover dutch oven, place on coals, put several coals on top. Cook for 15-20 minutes. Better than take out!

CommentDo not use too many coals or you can easily burn the crust.

ez sloppy joe Recipe

Ingredients

1 lb.ground beef or turkey ;1 can of tomato soup ; 1 jar of salsa (your choice mild,med,hot) rolls

Equipment

one pot, large spoon for stirring

Instructions

brown meat until no longer pink,add soup undiluted,jar of salsa heat til hot serve on rolls

Commentquick and EZ one pot meal

Chicken & Dumplin's Recipe

Ingredients

1 LB Boneless Chicken Tenders  
1/2 Bag Carrots  
1 Large Onion  
6 Stalks of Celery  
6 Medium Sized Potatoes  
1 TSP oil  
2 Cans Cream of Chicken Soup  
1 Can Biscuits or Mix up 2 cups of Bisquik Mix

Equipment

Dutch Oven  
Spoon for Stirring & Serving  
Knife  

Instructions

Cut up Chicken, Carrots, Onions, Celery.  
Place Dutch oven on coals, add oil then Chicken. Cook until slightly browned. Add Onion, Celery, Carrots and Potatoes and cup of water. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Add 2 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup and water to the consistancy of gravy. Cover and simmer an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add bisquits to top of mixture, cook covered 20 - 25 minutes. Bisquik dropped by spoonfuls can be used in place of bisquits.

CommentGood stick to your ribs dinner and fairly simple do make. 

Dutch Oven Onion Casserole Recipe

Ingredients

3 large onions

2 bags of potato chips

2 8oz. bags of shredded cheese

1 8oz. can of cream soup (mushroom, celery or chicken)

Cayan Pepper to taste

Equipment

Dutch Oven
  Charcoal and Lighter Fluid
  Can opener
  Field Knife

Instructions

Oil the Dutch Oven and layer sliced onions,crushed potato chips and cheese until 1" from top of oven. Pour cream soup over the top, add cayan pepper to taste. Cook in Dutch oven 1 to 1/12 hours, or until onion are tender.

2012-04-24 5:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

@Justin-I'm stealing this entire list; I shall laminate it and put it into my campbox.  When my friends compliment me on my campfire cooking skills, I will take full credit and be a looked upon as a GOD of the dutch oven. 

seriously-these ROCK.  THANKS!

2012-04-24 5:57 PM

New user
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I want to try the alternative s'mores recipe - next time we build a fire in our backyard fire pit, I know what I'm going to try..
2012-04-24 8:33 PM

Master
Houston, TX
My one recommendation that NO ONE on this planet should pass up is the polish train wreck. If there is some ingredient that you just hate then may e pass it up, but I'd not, it is absolutely, 100%, to due for.
2012-04-25 12:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia

Hot chocolate - try Alton Brown's recipe from the Food Network - it rocks! 

As for food, if you're looking for alternatives to backpacking mixes check these out:

http://www.backpackingchef.com/best-backpacking-recipes.html

2012-04-25 4:52 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Beer,
Beer...

Maybe another Beer
2012-04-25 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4171281

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vine Grove, KY
I'm always a big fan of Kabobs. Or you can smoke a Boston Butt or just slow cook a pork loin and take some awesome BBQ with you.

2012-04-25 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN
Fish boil. Large kettle, potatoes, favorite vegetables, open fire.  Lots of butter to drench the fish and potatoes. Steam the vegetables, boil the potatoes and fish. Drench in butter and serve with cold beer. Cod works well.
2012-04-25 7:46 AM

User image

NC

I'm not sure if it was in that long list, but Cowboy Stew.  Hamburger, onions, carrots, potatoes, whatever and seasoning in a foil pouch.  Throw on outside of fire until it's ready.  Eat.

2012-04-25 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4167113

Master
Memphis, TN

Moonrocket - 2012-04-23 10:51 AM Awesome! It's car camping. I just forget to eat when I'm having too much fun.

The skys the limit.  Smores are a must have.  You can make chili or just grill steaks and stuff over the fire with a grill grate.  Morning time is a must have eggs and bacon. 

2012-04-25 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4167253

Master
Memphis, TN
Moonrocket - 2012-04-23 11:30 AM

Okay, I'm guessing I need to let go of the healthy. I'm okay with unhealthy, just not nutritionally void crap from a box. I need some veggies is all I'm saying. Esp since I need to keep my calories up.

Calories up =/= veggies

2012-04-25 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4167188

User image

Champion
PA
tuwood - 2012-04-23 12:09 PM

That food list sounds like the menu for our night fishing trips.  We take the fire pit and eat until the fish get jealous and start biting. 

2012-04-25 8:55 AM
in reply to: #4171599

User image

Pro

Mexican food is good, we do a lot of chicken on a stick and then make tortillas with salsa, refried beans (vegetarian) and veggies.

Also it's not entirely healthy but the kids really like chocolate pancakes. Take a bisquick shake'n pour pancake mix (easy to pack) and throw in a packet of cocoa. That with sliced bananas is pretty darned yummy.

2012-04-25 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

This is the best most amazing for us, I found this recipe awhile back, and it is now a staple: 

Aztec CousCous Recipe

Ingredients:

• 1 cup couscous
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
  • 1 to 1-1/4 cups water
  • 1-3/4 cups black beans or 1 (15-ounce) can
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1 jalapeno, minced
  • 3 Tablespoons roasted garlic olive oil
  • 3 to 4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice

Preparation:

Place couscous, cumin, and salt in a large heatproof bowl or storage container and pour 1 cup boiling water on top. Cover tightly and let sit until all the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes. If the couscous is not quite tender, add an additional 1/4 cup of boiling water, cover, and let sit for a few minutes longer. Fluff up with a fork. 

Toss in the black beans, corn, red onioncilantro, and jalapeno. Mix in the olive oil and enough lime juice to give the salad a puckery edge. Serve warm or at room temperature. 

2012-04-25 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4171599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jtiger - 2012-04-25 7:33 AM
Moonrocket - 2012-04-23 11:30 AM

Calories up =/= veggies

I understand, but I have to keep my belly happy or another camping problem will be created :-). Veggies always make me feel better.Eta my husband is gluten free too...Thank you so much for all of the ideas. I can't wait to try them. I need to get a Dutch oven.

Edited by Moonrocket 2012-04-25 12:28 PM
2012-04-25 12:30 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Wrap a sweet potato in heavy duty foil and stick it in the fire pit, just outside the actual fire, for a long time.  Rotate it at some point.  Yum!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite foods for camping? Rss Feed  

of 2