General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just finished my first HIM, horrible run time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-07-02 1:19 PM

New user

Subject: Just finished my first HIM, horrible run time
First HIM. Generally happy with performance except for run. Followed 20 wk training program, but a combo of wind heat and hills did me in. Found another HIM to do 8 wks from now as a "re-do" of sorts, is that wise? Doable? How do I continue training, and where do I focus?

2012-07-02 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4290802

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: Just finished my first HIM, horrible run time
Wise? yes - assuming you have no other races in there like Ironman's - then you'd have to figure out if it fits in.

You know what did you in...so, train for it. More runs off of the bike. Add more hills to both your rides and your runs. And look at your training log...did you do enough long rides and long runs? Did you adjust your training to what the course was?

Then look at your race execution...
Wind, heat and hills are all energy sappers. Did you account for this while racing...or did you plow through and maintain your perfect conditions pace?
Did you fuel/hydrate on the bike as well as you should have?

2012-07-02 1:41 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Welcome to BT & congrats on your HIM finish.  Another HIM in 8 weeks is doable.  Although, depending how quickly you recover, it may be difficult to raise your fitness level very meaningfully before then.  The run is where most people realize any 'disappointment' in their performance because that is generally when you 'pay-back' the cumulative effects of any pacing/nutrition mistakes you made throughout the day.  Go a little too hard on the swim or bike and it's the run that will see the impact.  Also, an HIM is a long race and takes some time to build up enough endurance (generally and in each of the 3 sports) to complete the race without reaching a point that you really have to slow down.  Don't know what your background is or how long you've been doing triathlons, so that could play a role as well.

As to what to do before the next one (if you decide to do it), keep training.  Oddly, despite your struggles on the run, you are probably most likely to benefit by really focusing on the swim & bike.  The better shape you are in at T2, the more likely you will be able to have a successful run.  So, unless you are already a very stong swimmer or cyclist, I'd try that.  Do all your running at an easy (for you) pace.  But you may be better off looking for an HIM next year and focusing on some shorter races for the rest of this year.  That would give you some time to also do a period of more focused running, as well, before tackling the distance again.

2012-07-02 1:58 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
I think a bad HIM run is usually due to going too hard on the bike.  It is better to ride conservatively and get to T2 feeling like you could have gone faster.  10 minutes (give or take) extra on the bike could be the difference between running the entire 13.1 at a solid pace, or blowing up and losing much more time than that.
2012-07-02 2:23 PM

New user

I guess I was thinking in terms of more hills for sure, but also wondered if there is some benefit in my long runs going beyond what they previously were. In my training my long runs were in the 90 min range every once in a while approaching 2hrs. ...or will i also build some endurance in shorter speedier runs or a good mix. ......my head says run long but I am worried about over training and burnout.
2012-07-02 2:23 PM
in reply to: #4290904

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

froglegs - 2012-07-02 1:58 PM I think a bad HIM run is usually due to going too hard on the bike.  It is better to ride conservatively and get to T2 feeling like you could have gone faster.  10 minutes (give or take) extra on the bike could be the difference between running the entire 13.1 at a solid pace, or blowing up and losing much more time than that.

X2 on this. I was in the same boat as the OP after my first HIM. I kept saying I was pleased with everything but my run. After reading many race reports I realized that it wasn't the run that was the problem, it was the swimming (a little) and the biking that was the problem. I learned a lot from that first one.

2012-07-02 4:40 PM
in reply to: #4290987

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
TriBoilermaker - 2012-07-02 3:23 PM

froglegs - 2012-07-02 1:58 PM I think a bad HIM run is usually due to going too hard on the bike.  It is better to ride conservatively and get to T2 feeling like you could have gone faster.  10 minutes (give or take) extra on the bike could be the difference between running the entire 13.1 at a solid pace, or blowing up and losing much more time than that.

X2 on this. I was in the same boat as the OP after my first HIM. I kept saying I was pleased with everything but my run. After reading many race reports I realized that it wasn't the run that was the problem, it was the swimming (a little) and the biking that was the problem. I learned a lot from that first one.

Agree with this.  So many times, people seem to talk about run troubles during HIM/IM in a vacuum and not make the connection to their bike and swim.

2012-07-03 6:04 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Not to beat a dead horse here, but, yes - pacing errors on the bike are the most common culprit for a bad run.

Check out this blog post - I think it's spot on - it's mainly addressing full iron pacing, but the same concept applies to HIM.

The key take-away is this: "A good race = a good run. There is no such thing as good bike followed by a bad run." It took me several attempts to get the pacing thing down - my first few HIM distance races I went too hard on the bike and crashed on the run. It's pretty easy to do....

If your run fitness isn't where you want it to be, that means you need to be even more conservative on your bike pacing. As JohnnyKay said, you probably won't make huge gains in fitness in the 8 weeks in between HIMs. I also agree with his assertion that you may be better focusing on getting to T2 feeling fresh, and then trying to execute the best run you can. Were you following a training plan for your first HIM? Can you give us some idea of what your training looked like? How did you gauge your effort on the bike? A little more info might help the brains of BT provide you with some more valuable suggestions on how to train between now & HIM #2.

Edited by jsnowash 2012-07-03 6:05 AM
2012-07-03 8:41 AM

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL
Thanks jsnowash for that blog post link - that looks like some great advice.  I've got my first HIM coming in less than two weeks (7/15 IM 70.3 Racine) and I'm nervously trying to soak up as much advice as possible these last two weeks.  To the OP, sorry for your difficult run, but I appreciate your thread as it will hopefully help me - good luck at your next HIM!
2012-07-03 9:09 AM

New user

Thanks for all your feedback! Just some brief background.... Long time swimmer, started with sprint races to get in shape after having my daughter 11 yrs ago. I have slowly been raising the bar. Last few years I added HM's, and a few century rides with my husband. Thought I could now tackle HIM. Followed Matt Fitzgeralds program as much as possible. Kept true to lengths and numbers of workouts... Sometimes had trouble with incorporating speed intervals etc. If I do the Big George HIM in Sept, I wonder if I should dial back to week 8 of the program or go back further and take fewer weeks out of each phase, or maybe just really work on bike pacing esp on brick days.
2012-07-03 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4292241

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Tracyaa - 2012-07-03 9:09 AM Thanks for all your feedback! Just some brief background.... Long time swimmer, started with sprint races to get in shape after having my daughter 11 yrs ago. I have slowly been raising the bar. Last few years I added HM's, and a few century rides with my husband. Thought I could now tackle HIM. Followed Matt Fitzgeralds program as much as possible. Kept true to lengths and numbers of workouts... Sometimes had trouble with incorporating speed intervals etc. If I do the Big George HIM in Sept, I wonder if I should dial back to week 8 of the program or go back further and take fewer weeks out of each phase, or maybe just really work on bike pacing esp on brick days.

Which level of Fitzgeralds plan are you using? If you can go back to week 8 and pick up from there and feel comfortable doing the workouts that should work. And yes, bike pacing is very important (I learned that the hard way also!)

2012-07-03 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4292241

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

If your swimming is strong, then focus on riding more/harder.  I don't think you'll get much added benefit by pushing runs longer right now.  But run as frequently as possible.  All easy running.  When your legs feel good, ride harder.  Save faster/harder runs for after your tri season this time.  Swim only as frequently as you need to maintain fitness and form.

Use a couple of your long rides to go steady at your estimated race pace.  Take in nutrition/fluids the same way you plan on race day.  Do a short run off the bike (3-4mi) and see how you feel.  Adjust your race pace, if necessary.

2012-07-03 12:50 PM

New user

I was using mostly level two. Often level three swim stuff though, because that is my strongest and I didnt want to go too easy on the swim in training.
Thanks for the ideas. I'm hitting the bike tomorrow, hopefully before the storm clouds move in.
2012-07-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: #4292940

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Tracyaa - 2012-07-03 12:50 PM I was using mostly level two. Often level three swim stuff though, because that is my strongest and I didnt want to go too easy on the swim in training.
Thanks for the ideas. I'm hitting the bike tomorrow, hopefully before the storm clouds move in.

I'm using his level 6 plan and in week #9 right now. Good luck with your training and keep hitting that bike as hard as you can. When the plan calls for interval riding make sure you are actually doing that and not just riding the time that is called for. I have done that religiously so far and I can see a real difference in my biking strength. The other thing he calls for is the hill repeats on the bike. I have found those to be tough but very beneficial.

Keep us informed with how you are doing. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk any more about the Fitz plans. I have used them several times and like them very much.

2012-07-03 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4293080

User image

Sensei
Sin City

x whatever on the pacing/bike effort.  I know that's the pat answer, but in my case, it's always what gets me.

I feel fresh out of the water as if it's an Oly, and just tend to push too hard on the bike (oly pace).  It's only 56 miles, right?...  But then add a half mary on that and it kills me...  I would say that over my 4-5 HIM's, I still haven't gotten it right.

IM's are different.  I think they are SO long, I can't fool myself into thinking I can hammer through it and force myself to pace better.

I know you can't just "survive" a marathon, but I always focus on being strong on the bike for longer races.  Swimming is easy, so that's bottom on my list of priorities.  I will also give up a run before a bike.  I just know that even if bike pace itself is not my limiter (even though I can argue that it is), just being stronger off the bike is important to me and I can just muscle through the run.

I have also used the Fitz plans.  Pretty good.  A bit too repetitive for my taste, but if you follow them at the efforts perscribed, I think they get you in as good as shape as anything else.  I'm using one now.

Edited by Kido 2012-07-03 1:58 PM
2012-07-03 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

I pretty much disagree with most of the posters in regard to bike pace.

My opinion is your bike is not strong enough to run the way you want. I personally feel you should not have to slow down one aspect to do another. You are either trained properly in both or not.  I personally am not, i am not trained properly for the run, i am for the bike, and i am fine with that.

What is your open HM pace??

What did you run in this race??

Since a person who cannot post here any longer actually posted on this exact subject in a race report i have just done i will quote Bryan Dunn here.

i will start with my quote

"So many cliche's about triathlon, one of my favorites is "there is no such thing as a good bike if a crap run follows it". Yeah, , that came from someone who sucks on the bike and wants to feel better about their crap bike speeds and efforts."

and his reply
I couldn't agree more. I ride as hard as i can and then run as hard as I can, I never sit in on the bike thinking it will make me run fatser. BS, it's a race. And I will go further to simplify your run result as not being because you biked too hard for your current run fitness but simply say your run fitness isn't there. It could be but it would require a different training protocol then what you like doing. You may want to consider using this winter to do a 2 month run focus.

of course that is in regard to me, but personally, we may not like to hear it, but it applies to 90% of us. We do not train all 3 aspects, we train 1 or 2 and survive the 3rd.

if you want a laugh, chuckle or to roll your eyes, you can read the entire report unedited and un "G" rated here

Patriot Half race report

have a nice day

2012-07-03 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4293178

User image

Master
New Jersey
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-03 3:16 PM

My opinion is your bike is not strong enough to run the way you want.

Isn't that actually AGREEING with everyone?

You either have to get stronger on the bike, or you have to slow it down to run the way you want.

2012-07-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4293236

User image

runnerx - 2012-07-03 9:32 AM

Isn't that actually AGREEING with everyone? You either have to get stronger on the bike, or you have to slow it down to run the way you want.

Or maybe just bike they way you want and slow down your run?

What I take away from Rudy's post is that it comes down to your training.  Many people try to figure out what they did wrong in the race that caused them to do poorly.  Many people say that biking too hard during the race is what caused a bad performance.  Rudy is saying that not training enough on the bike and run is what caused it.

I think it's a little of both.  Because triathlon is really one sport, you have to balance out your strengths and weaknesses on race day based on the fitness you show up with.  However, if the OP wants to truely get better for the next HIM, he/she should not simply focus on going easier on the bike to solve the problem.  The OP should focus on improving run fitness as well.

Edited by tri808 2012-07-03 2:49 PM
2012-07-03 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4293236

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
runnerx - 2012-07-03 3:32 PM

Isn't that actually AGREEING with everyone? You either have to get stronger on the bike, or you have to slow it down to run the way you want.

I guess it depends on the angle you look at it or how you define went too hard on the bike.

everyone says ride conservatively, to me that means slow down, below what they trained for.

i just say do not race afraid. So what if you blow up, what if you don't??

Edited by Rudedog55 2012-07-03 2:56 PM
2012-07-03 3:02 PM
in reply to: #4293317

User image

Master
New Jersey
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-03 3:53 PM

everyone says ride conservatively, to me that means slow down, below what they trained for.

Ahhh...but most people will ride ABOVE what they trained for. And then wonder why they blow up on the run.
2012-07-03 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

If you bike too hard, your run will suffer.  There's really no doubting that point.

If your run training stinks, your run will suffer.  There's really no doubting that point either.

JK's advice was spot on.  Increase frequency of running, not length of long run.  Doing so will improve run fitness.  Increase intensity on the bike.  Doing so will increase bike fitness.  Do a few bricks/race rehearsals to test pacing.

Train hard and you will be able to race hard.  Good luck to you, OP!  It sounds to me that you are wiling to put in the work -- it will pay off.

2012-07-03 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4293293

User image

Master
Denison Texas
tri808 - 2012-07-03 2:47 PM
runnerx - 2012-07-03 9:32 AM

Or maybe just bike they way you want and slow down your run?

What I take away from Rudy's post is that it comes down to your training.  Many people try to figure out what they did wrong in the race that caused them to do poorly.  Many people say that biking too hard during the race is what caused a bad performance.  Rudy is saying that not training enough on the bike and run is what caused it.

I think it's a little of both.  Because triathlon is really one sport, you have to balance out your strengths and weaknesses on race day based on the fitness you show up with.  However, if the OP wants to truly get better for the next HIM, he/she should not simply focus on going easier on the bike to solve the problem.  The OP should focus on improving run fitness as well.

The bolded statement says essentially the same thing from two different sides of the coin. Like Tri808 is saying, triathlon is about energy management. I think at IM Kansas a few minutes slower in my bike split might have gotten me 10-15 minutes back on the run. Or even more likely, a better swim, and swim training might have me on the bike fresher so that I wasn't already running a deficit when I entered T1. I can run 2 hour HM, the 2:35 or whatever it came to can be attributed, I think, to a disastrous swim which lead to an increased sense of urgency on the bike and a melt down on the run. My bike time was a great opportunity to regroup for a good run instead of counting on my bike time presumed run fitness to make up for over an hour in the water. The fact is that race sucked for me because I swam poorly and let silly things get in my head, like no wetsuit when I had convinced myself it would be WS legal, then I rode on the high side of Z2 and into Z3 so I could feel like I was racing only to trot out of T2 knowing I was already in trouble.

2012-07-03 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4293317

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Rudedog55 - 2012-07-03 3:53 PM

runnerx - 2012-07-03 3:32 PM

I guess it depends on the angle you look at it or how you define went too hard on the bike.

i just say do not race afraid. So what if you blow up, what if you don't??

The key is to try to find the point where you can ride as hard as you can AND STILL HAVE A GOOD RUN. That is NOT the same as riding as hard as you can on a weekend hammerfest ride with your biking buddies. Finding that point is a little tricky and it takes some trial and error and experience to figure it out. IMO it's better to err on the side of being a LITTLE more conservative on the bike and having enough left in the tank for a solid run - Rudy's POV is to go ahead and push the bike and see what happens on the run. IMO most of the time the end result of that strategy is a sucky run and a slower overall race. The sport is TRIathlon - not fastest-bike-split-athon. If you have an awesome bike split but your run sucks because you're cooked by the time you hit T2, then your TOTAL time is likely to be slower than it would have been had you held back just a little on the bike. It's not about racing "afraid", it's about racing smart, and managing your effort so you can get through the ENTIRE race as fast as you can - not just the bike leg....
2012-07-06 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4293178

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

i will start with my quote

"So many cliche's about triathlon, one of my favorites is "there is no such thing as a good bike if a crap run follows it". Yeah, , that came from someone who sucks on the bike and wants to feel better about their crap bike speeds and efforts."

and his reply
I couldn't agree more. I ride as hard as i can and then run as hard as I can, I never sit in on the bike thinking it will make me run fatser. BS, it's a race. And I will go further to simplify your run result as not being because you biked too hard for your current run fitness but simply say your run fitness isn't there. It could be but it would require a different training protocol then what you like doing. You may want to consider using this winter to do a 2 month run focus.

Hey Rudy, I read Bryan's reply in your RR previously.  While I think I agree with the sentiment Bryan was expressing, read lieterally, he is wrong (easy to take pot-shots when he can't fight back ).  Wrong about how he races and about how anybody else should race.  He rides as hard as he can and still get off and run well.  He trains for that (and limits himself from going harder by relying on HR).  Were the finish line at T2, I can guarantee you he could (and would) ride faster.  His analysis of what YOU need to do (if you want to run better) may be correct.  That is, perhaps that bike leg was well within your capability (that you, too, could have gone faster had the finish been at T2) and it is just that you don't have the run legs to put up a time that you 'think you should'. 

2012-07-06 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Tracyaa - 2012-07-02 1:19 PM

First HIM. Generally happy with performance except for run. Followed 20 wk training program, but a combo of wind heat and hills did me in. Found another HIM to do 8 wks from now as a "re-do" of sorts, is that wise? Doable? How do I continue training, and where do I focus?

Wish you had something in your training logs so I could analyze your training for this race... and then give you an educated answer to your question.....

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Just finished my first HIM, horrible run time Rss Feed  

of 2