Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Recommendations for first Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-02 4:00 PM

User image

Oakville
Subject: Recommendations for first Olympic Tri

I am planning to race my first Olympic distance triathlon in 2013 and was looking for some recommendations for a good course to start with.

I live in Oakville and am looking for a race that is within 2 hours travel.

The possible races on my short list so far are (in no particular order):

• Gravenhurst
  • Huronia
  • Bracebridge
  • Wasaga Beach

I didn't include the Toronto Triathlon Festival as I heard the layout of the swim made for a congested course.  

Anyone recommend one of the above over another?  Any other races I should consider?

2012-12-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4518469

Veteran
Waterloo, Ontario
Subject: RE: Recommendations for first Olympic Tri

I enjoyed the MSC cobourg race this year.  The bike course was nice, the swim was a simple single triangle, and the run course is in a suburb where a bunch of people were sitting on their porches cheering us on (and one house had a hose on a ladder to cool you off).

2012-12-03 6:50 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Lakeside is also a nice layout, but it's later in the year.
2012-12-03 11:19 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

The only Olympic i've done is Guelph which is a good race - earlier in the season. The main drawback is that it is quite a big race - at least for triathlon.  Traditionally it was a two loop swim with a mass start - but this year it was a 1500m rectangle with 3 waves to start.  

Not sure what your background is but there are probably a couple of things that i would look at when choosing:

1. The swim - if you're nervous about open water swimming you probably want a smaller lake swim for your race.  For example Cobourg or the Toronto Triathlon Festival is swum in Lake Ontario which, at least for me was nerve wracking, at least when i start but both are great races by all accounts.

2. Course profile: are you near hills to train on? If you can train on and don't mind hills then really any of the races are good options for you. Guelph has some rollers, Bracebridge and Muskoka are definitely not flat.  But you can poke around or ask here to see what people thought of the course. 

2012-12-03 12:23 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Bracebridge has a cool swim cause it's a TT start - every 5sec someone goes.  It's in a river which (at least this year) was super calm and you end up having tons of space.  Even though it was out and back, it was a fast swim (or short).  Bike is pretty hilly, but nothing ridiculous, and the run is fairly flat.

I've also done Guelph, but only as a mass start, 2 loop swim.  The road is pretty crappy for the first/last few km, but the rest is in good shape, and just a little undulating.  Run has some small ups and downs through the camping area.

2012-12-03 1:33 PM

User image

Oakville

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I did the Sprint race at Guelph I in June this year and didn't include this particular race on my list because of the number of competitors (the Sprint course was ridiculously crowded) and the condition of the roads. 

As for Coboug, I also raced the Sprint course at Cobourg, but the bike portion was altered to run east-west and avoided the hills.  I believe the Olympic course remains unchanged and so you have to tackle the "Northumberland Hill".  I was trying to avoid a particularly hilly course for my first Olympic.

That is good to know about the Bracebridge swim.  I did the Welland Tri this year which also had a time trial start.  It definitely eased the stress and congestion of the normal start of the swim.

2012-12-04 10:25 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Bopper 2012-12-04 10:31 AM
2012-12-04 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4521036

Elite
Ontario
Bopper - 2012-12-04 11:25 AM

Bracebridge  I haven't done, but if it's being put on by John Salt... it's going to be well run and a good experience. I did Bracebridge 1/2 Ironman (which has been down sized to Oly) the first year they were in Bracebridge and it was a VERY amazing race. The volunteers and locals were extremely friendly and it was an amazing race (even if my run sucked). The bike course will have some hills, but nothing like the 1/2 IM had as the countryside within 20 km of town isn't that hilly. The run course was flat with only one small "hill". The swim is in the river, if it rains heavily the day before, it will be a little faster flowing then usual, but it still is VERY calm. If they've made it a TT swim start it will be a very easy swim.

I'll disagree with you, just for the sake of disagreeing.  In terms of pure elevation increase, outside of the Muskoka 1/2, the Bracebridge Oly has more hills than any other Tri course I've raced.  Of course I can't find the data now, but measured as meters gained/km, you'll see it ain't flat.  Wink  Doesn't mean these are unmanageable hills by any stretch, but they do exist.

2012-12-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4521129

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-12-14 10:38 AM

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
I really enjoyed Guelph Lake OLY.......some night rolling hills on the bike and the run was ok.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Recommendations for first Olympic Tri Rss Feed