Other Resources The Political Joe » Senate Panel Oks Measure Defining a Journalist Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-13 10:55 AM

User image

Subject: Senate Panel Oks Measure Defining a Journalist
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/senate-panel-oks-measure-d...

"A Senate panel on Thursday approved legislation designed to protect reporters and the news media from having to reveal their confidential sources after narrowing the definition of a journalist and establishing which formats — traditional and online — provide news to people worldwide."

So, Congress gets to decide what defines a journalist and by doing so also defines who is covered by source protection.

How convenient. So now Congress would be able to define who is putting out "authorized" news and be able to harass, intimidate and subpoena anyone it deems fit to do so to knowing they must surrender their sources or go to jail. So no one would ever again give a "non-authorized" news source anonymous information against the government.

I cannot see any way this could possibly be considered constitutional.

2013-09-13 12:28 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Senate Panel Oks Measure Defining a Journalist

Originally posted by DanielG http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/senate-panel-oks-measure-d... "A Senate panel on Thursday approved legislation designed to protect reporters and the news media from having to reveal their confidential sources after narrowing the definition of a journalist and establishing which formats — traditional and online — provide news to people worldwide." So, Congress gets to decide what defines a journalist and by doing so also defines who is covered by source protection. How convenient. So now Congress would be able to define who is putting out "authorized" news and be able to harass, intimidate and subpoena anyone it deems fit to do so to knowing they must surrender their sources or go to jail. So no one would ever again give a "non-authorized" news source anonymous information against the government. I cannot see any way this could possibly be considered constitutional.

Yeah.  I agree. 

2013-09-16 5:38 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

So I have mixed feelings, I agree with you guys that the definition of a journalist is pretty weak and narrow.  The original definition that was struck would  have been a lot better: 

The original bill would have extended protections to a "covered person" who investigates events and obtains material to disseminate news and information to the public

However, currently there is no legislation that protects anyone at all, or defines anyone as a journalist so the Administration and the AG's office is going to town on everyone.  Yes, they will still go to town on the people who don't fit this description, but they're already doing that.

So, like I said, I have mixed feelings because it's a step in the right direction but not enough.  The really sad part is that the congress feels the need to write a law like this in the first place. 

2013-09-17 12:55 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Boise
What a bunch of BS. This i'm sure has nothing to do with the Snowden leaks or anything either.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Senate Panel Oks Measure Defining a Journalist Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ok. Nevermind

Started by bootygirl
Views: 788 Posts: 5

2013-06-27 9:58 AM DanielG
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 13, 2011
author : DaveScott
comments : 0
Dave Scott, six-time Hawaii Ironman world champion, shares his insights and plenty of stories to help you define your own success.

date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.