Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Cycling in GTA and around Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2007-02-19 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
Subject: Cycling in GTA and around

A little bit early, I know....

Where are some of your best cycle routes around the GTA, or just North or west of the GTA?  Is there anywhere that you really feel safe riding?  Anywhere that is a reasonable weekend morning drive to get to. 

I am thinking the Lakefront route is nice but I would guess it gets crowded.

2007-02-19 10:42 PM
in reply to: #696414

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Cycling in GTA and around
I grew up just west of TO and I used to bike into the city a couple times a week. A good workout but the roads are terrible along the lake so I wouldn't recommend it on a road/tri bike.
I'd be more inclined to head north where there's lots of new development because the roads tend to be newer. The scenery's not the greatest but at least there's some good open road. Or if you have the option, throw your bike in the car and head to the escarpment area for some hills!
2007-02-20 11:07 AM

Extreme Veteran
South Park, PA

since you are in woodbridge, i would suggest going north and ride.  there are tons of quiet country roads just north and west of you.  i used to live in Brampton and rode in and around between Caledon, Belfountain, Georgetown, Limehouse, Milton - all over!  If you want to get in some OWS's come june or so, head to Kelso and you will find loads of folks that head out for a ride after as well.  you can always hook up with C3 as well for group rides to give you an idea of good routes, but it really is difficult to get lost with the wonderful grid system there.  one of the many things i miss about home.   have fun and enjoy all the dog free roads.

k

2007-02-20 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario

I'm on the north-eastern side of the city (Scarborough) and north is the way to go for me.

I usually drive to Rouge Park on Steeles and bike my way through Markham to Stouffville. There are lots of nice country roads to choose from: Elgin Mills, Warden or Bayview, Bethesda side Rd, RR30 or Reesor Rd and Webb Rd for some nice hill repeats!

2007-02-21 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada

I second Nats.  Leslie on the weekend in the summer is also very popular.   A lot of people park at the Coffee Time at Leslie & 16th and just ride up Leslie, all the way to Lake Simcoe, I hear.   The D'Ornellas group ride in Markham / Stouffville area Sat and Sun.   Sometimes, there're more cyclists than cars on Leslie, so relatively safe and drivers are very used to sharing roads with cyclists in that area.

2007-02-22 8:10 AM

Regular
Guelph, ON
Some great cycling north of Mississauga/Milton. Here's a map of good bike roads. I recommend reps of the 6th line hill north of Kelso.

http://www.halton.ca/PPW/PlanningRoads/Transp/Alternatives/Cycling/...

2007-02-22 9:11 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

It took me awhile to figure out that "GTA" meant "Greater Toronto Area".  At first I thought that it might be the "Georgian Tricycle Association".  Then I thought maybe it meant "Guestimated Time of Arrival", but arrival where????   I could have been at it all day, had I not viewed the responses from other BT members. 

2007-02-22 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Try this link.

http://www.bikerally.org/maps.html

There's lots of great rides there. I've all of them and they are all quite good.

2007-02-22 7:01 PM
in reply to: #699102

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec

Alot of these routes look great!  It will be great to get on the road in the next few weeks?

Machiavelo:  "I could have been at it all day......"  Are you in Parliment?  lol, sorry could not resist.   Just kidding, I lived their for awhile myself.  Come to think of it, I did not know what GTA meant either before I moved here from Montreal.

That is all the encouragement I need to bring in my old hybrid for some upgrades.

Keep the routes coming.  In a couple of months, I hope to add some to the list. 

2007-03-13 4:11 PM

Toronto
Hey, new to the site, first post.

Got my first outdoor ride of the season in today, awesome!!!!

West of Mississauga on Lower Base is a great route, a few hils etc. Longer rides you can end up in the Kelso Hills.

A great challenging 100k route can be found at the following link:

http://www.thehealingcycle.ca/PDFS/100km_route06_Map.pdf

It north of Mississauga on country roads to the hills of Orangeville and back.

Have fun

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Cycling in GTA and around Rss Feed